PDA

View Full Version : PSP Out of Memory?

falcon409
July 6th, 2010, 16:20
If anyone using Paint Shop Pro has run into this before, I sure could use a tip or two. Granted, the texture I'm working on is a 4096x4096. It has a base layer and one alpha layer. I'm working on the alpha for the bare metal version I'm playing with. I had everything done on the alpha and all I wanted to do was cut that layer and move it back to the alpha I had exported from DXTbmp. As soon as I click "cut" for that layer I get a message that says there's not enough memory and I should close some programs and try again or adjust my memory settings.

Are they talking about memory settings within PSP or my system memory? I don't see anywhere in the program to change any memory settings and my system already has 8gig. I doubt seriously that one program is eating up all that memory. grrrrrr.

kjb
July 6th, 2010, 16:24
I'm pretty sure that's system memory, and I don't know that there is much you can do about it. I have 12Gb on my desktop and have still run into it.

PRB
July 6th, 2010, 16:25
I've had this happen with PSP as well. Also have 8 GB of RAM. Unknown what the problem is. I have PSP 9.0.

Tako_Kichi
July 6th, 2010, 16:30
I have had Adobe Illustrator do that too me too on a regular basis. Dunno what causes it but in my case a reboot is the only way to get out of the OOM loop it creates.

Dain Arns
July 6th, 2010, 16:34
If anyone using Paint Shop Pro has run into this before, I sure could use a tip or two. Granted, the texture I'm working on is a 4096x4096. It has a base layer and one alpha layer. I'm working on the alpha for the bare metal version I'm playing with. I had everything done on the alpha and all I wanted to do was cut that layer and move it back to the alpha I had exported from DXTbmp. As soon as I click "cut" for that layer I get a message that says there's not enough memory and I should close some programs and try again or adjust my memory settings.

Are they talking about memory settings within PSP or my system memory? I don't see anywhere in the program to change any memory settings and my system already has 8gig. I doubt seriously that one program is eating up all that memory. grrrrrr.

Yep. 4096x4096 eats a lot of memory. Does a lot of swapping still.
The older versions of PSP are bad for that.

If I remember right, could be wrong, but it could be the settings for the amounts of edits to keep track of, sometimes causes that.
It will keep track of every edit you make in memory, in case you want to go a long ways back to a change you made.
Went down a road you ended up not liking, changed your mind, and turned around so to speak.
That setting is changed somewhere in the Preferences for the amount of edits to keep track of.
Seems like default on the older versions was unlimited.

If you have a lot of open panes that can cause it too.
Usually ended up with a reboot to clear it. (Edit: Like everyone else is noting :icon_lol:)
Haven't had as much problem with the newer versions, but it has happened to me even with them.

I usually try to limit it to the amount of changes to keep track of.
Sometimes you just need to save, and restart PSP every hour or so like clockwork on the bigger texture projects to avoid that.

Hope that helps... :kilroy:

falcon409
July 6th, 2010, 17:19
Thanks guys, I tried everything, including shutting down as many programs as I could and remain functional, lol. Still runs out of memory. I'm going to have to find another way to produce an alpha channel with precise knock outs without going through PSP.

anthony31
July 6th, 2010, 17:36
Working on 10,000 x 10,000 pixel photoreal maps was a real problem for me and I would run into the out of memory problem.

First thing to do is live life on the edge and disable the undo system (preferences/general program preferences). Then load your files.

I'd also try merging all layers down to one for the file that you want to copy, you may have to save this as a temp file then reboot and restart PSP to clear the memory. Reducing the number of files you have open in PSP and the number of layers they use chews through memory real quick.

Once you have your alpha copied into your work texture you can turn back on the undo system.

LonelyplanetXO
July 6th, 2010, 17:37
I haven't used PSP for ages but used to occasionally get that message painting FS9 models. I remember it occurred randomly and did not relate to available memory. Saving and restarting the app fixed it I think. You will know if it's actually running out of memory because it will run very slowly. Given the size of the textures you're working with, it's possible it might actually be OOM, but I'd doubt it.

LPXO

bobmay
July 6th, 2010, 17:37
I get this too with PSP7. Remember every change you make, pixel you add or remove, even unsaved ones, go into memory in case you need step back. It doesn't take long to gobble up all your Mb's (and Gb's)

Bob.

Stratobat
July 6th, 2010, 18:19
I'm new to repainting in FSX (Working on my first repaint now) but why not save your new alpha bitmap as a seperate file from PSP and then convert and import that file into DXTBmp and replace the old alpha that way?

Regards,
Stratobat

Sundog
July 6th, 2010, 18:26
I'm not sure, but will increasing the size of the scratch disk help?