PDA

View Full Version : FSX on Win7 SSD?

DaveKDEN
July 6th, 2010, 12:41
Anyone running FSX on an SSD drive with Windows 7 64 bit? My current FSX installation is at 70GB. Supposedly, Win7 64 bit needs 20GB. I'm thinking the newest gen 256GB SSD with Win7 64 bit should offer a significant boost in performance. I'd keep my current 500GB HDD for less speed essential programs and for use as a backup (and keep my current 32bit Win VISTA on it as well).

Dag
July 7th, 2010, 06:13
Hi Dave,

Yep, I am running FSX from a 128GB SSD. It loads very fast and last but not least, it seems to load autogen and terrain textures at an enormous speed. I will recommend one with a fast CPU (i5 or i7 or AMD equivalent).

Thanks

DaveKDEN
July 7th, 2010, 07:09
Hi Dave,

Yep, I am running FSX from a 128GB SSD. It loads very fast and last but not least, it seems to load autogen and terrain textures at an enormous speed. I will recommend one with a fast CPU (i5 or i7 or AMD equivalent).

Thanks

Thanks! So, updating an older system (Q6600 o/c'd to 3.0GHz) might not be the best idea? I'd like to extend the service life of my current system with some relatively easy updates (meaning keeping my current MoBo) like Win7, an SSD, newer video card, RAM etc...).

warchild
July 7th, 2010, 11:12
one thing you can do to help yourself out here without having to buy an immense amount of hardware, is simply go out and get a large usb drive ( one of those tiny things you stick into the usb port ). set it up as a ram drive ( virtual memory ) then make windows use it for the page file, or simply load fs into the ramdrive and run it from there.. Your load speeds will improve by several iterations. Of course you can do that with an I7 as well and frankly, it would be blindingly fast. But is is one way to keep our old q6600s working a while longer..

kilo delta
July 7th, 2010, 11:55
I've my photo-scenery on an SSD and performance is excellent. I wouldn't expect any performance gains by housing the complete FSX install on one however...loading times might improve but fps will be unaffected. It'd make more sense to house the OS on a SSD and FSX on a separate drive...best bang for buck is the WD Velociraptor series.

DaveKDEN
July 7th, 2010, 12:17
I've my photo-scenery on an SSD and performance is excellent. I wouldn't expect any performance gains by housing the complete FSX install on one however...loading times might improve but fps will be unaffected. It'd make more sense to house the OS on a SSD and FSX on a separate drive...best bang for buck is the WD Velociraptor series.

Well, I was thinking most of the micro-stuttering on FSX was due to HDD access time and limited memory. From what I've read, as SSD's access time is many times faster than a conventional HDD. So I figure loading FSX on an SSD would minimize both start times and micro-stutters. I'd likely use the SSD just for the OS (Win7 64bit) and FSX. Anything else that isn't performance intensive would go on my HDD. Overall, my actual fps is pretty good on my current system. I have significant slow-downs in major metro areas, but can live with that. What bothers me the most is what seems to be auto-gen induced stuttering.

kilo delta
July 7th, 2010, 13:29
Well, I was thinking most of the micro-stuttering on FSX was due to HDD access time and limited memory. From what I've read, as SSD's access time is many times faster than a conventional HDD. So I figure loading FSX on an SSD would minimize both start times and micro-stutters. I'd likely use the SSD just for the OS (Win7 64bit) and FSX. Anything else that isn't performance intensive would go on my HDD. Overall, my actual fps is pretty good on my current system. I have significant slow-downs in major metro areas, but can live with that. What bothers me the most is what seems to be auto-gen induced stuttering.

Have you carried out NickN's tweaks? I can't say I've ever noticed any micro stutters using 10k Raptor drives...or even large cache high capacity drives. CPU horse power will have the greatest bearing on your FSX gaming experience.:)

DaveKDEN
July 7th, 2010, 14:28
Have you carried out NickN's tweaks? I can't say I've ever noticed any micro stutters using 10k Raptor drives...or even large cache high capacity drives. CPU horse power will have the greatest bearing on your FSX gaming experience.:)

Looks like his tweaks are for XP64bit and Win7. I am (unfortunately) currently running VISTA 32bit.

kilo delta
July 8th, 2010, 01:06
Looks like his tweaks are for XP64bit and Win7. I am (unfortunately) currently running VISTA 32bit.

Most tweaks should still be applicable...I'd carried out most on my previous Vista 64bit install.:)

DaveKDEN
July 8th, 2010, 05:28
Most tweaks should still be applicable...I'd carried out most on my previous Vista 64bit install.:)

I might have to take a look then. :cool:

Dimus
July 8th, 2010, 06:26
Dave, I have the exact same system and Windows as yours and all Nick's tweaks are applicable. Follow them and you will see improvement for sure.