PDA

View Full Version : Dominique, did you see today's stage in the Tour de France?

Cazzie
July 5th, 2010, 08:58
Brutal, n'est pas?

That one mountain crossing was on a very rough road no wider than the Riverwalk Trail I ride in Danville. Not to mention, it was raining. It was an exciting stage to watch.

I purchased the Versus HD Internet package with no commercial interruptions, but the rain caused some breakup in the coverage today. So I watch it in HD on a wide-screen 24-inch monitor. Sweet.

Caz

dominique
July 5th, 2010, 09:44
Brutal, n'est pas?

That one mountain crossing was on a very rough road no wider than the Riverwalk Trail I ride in Danville. Not to mention, it was raining. It was an exciting stage to watch.

I purchased the Versus HD Internet package with no commercial interruptions, but the rain caused some breakup in the coverage today. So I watch it in HD on a wide-screen 24-inch monitor. Sweet.

Caz

I was not able to watch it live. Just saw few minutes on the evening news. Brutal it was. They say the road was so slippery,it was like it was iced. They thought about neutralizing the race if not for the "échappée".

As you know I like when the little guy wins (and as he was French, it was even sweeter :)) !

huub vink
July 5th, 2010, 10:40
Tomorrow they will have to cross an awful lot of cobble stones. When it is as wet as today it might be even more interesting than today! :eek:

Huub

Cazzie
July 5th, 2010, 12:05
Tomorrow they will have to cross an awful lot of cobble stones. When it is as wet as today it might be even more interesting than today! :eek:

Huub

Without a doubt I sha;; be online for the stage tomorrow Huub. If it is raining as today, there will be more riders out by the end of the day. My fingers are crossed for the main contenders, in cycling all are fair game on the cobbles.

Oui Dominique, Sylvain a fait une échappée très bonne. Il mérite le maillot jaune.

Caz

cheezyflier
July 5th, 2010, 12:25
it's not a real race until they allow recumbents :a1310:

huub vink
July 5th, 2010, 13:07
Last year the talented Dutch cyclist Robert Geesink had to leave the Tour after 5 days with a broken wrist. After a fall in today's stage he has a crack in one of the bones in his arm!

He will start tomorrow, but when I look at the roads they have to cross. I'm not sure he will finish!

As Cazzie already said, Chavanel is a nice rider and I think he deserves the yellow jersey.

Cheers,
Huub

dominique
July 5th, 2010, 20:08
Yeah they're tough cookies, the Tour de France riders !

Sylvain Chavanel was thrown out of his bicycle by a car end of April, had a concussion and fractured skull and wins yesterday !

Now let's wait for the infamous "pavés du Nord" !

dominique
July 6th, 2010, 00:18
it's not a real race until they allow recumbents :a1310:

Recumbents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle) have been banned from races since 1934 ! Never tried one myself as one (wrongly) associates these bikes with handicapped people or overweight couch potatoes in search of some exercising :)

I've to try one someday !

demorier
July 6th, 2010, 01:41
Lucky for some the teams/riders did "neutralize" the race. There was some big chance riders in the crash and bang. Have started watching to , runs from about 10pm to 2 am our time...it's so tiring just to watch their effort.

Cazzie
July 6th, 2010, 01:49
Recumbents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle) have been banned from races since 1934 ! Never tried one myself as one (wrongly) associates these bikes with handicapped people or overweight couch potatoes in search of some exercising :)

I've to try one someday !

ROFL!

I rode one back on the 90s, hated every aspect of it, a wreck waiting to happen, evil to control, too low for traffic to see you. No way.

Oh and geeks (One who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality) Dominique, around here all the geeks ride them. :icon_lol:

Caz

dominique
July 6th, 2010, 08:25
That was tough ! if it rains, "les pavés du Nord" get slippery, if it does not, you choke in the dust.Today was dustville.

Evans and Schleck (A) win some, Contador is ahead of Amstrong but looked awfully tired on the finishing line, Amstrong loses some. Chavanel was cooked and very unlucky. That fellow Thomas needs to be watched. Game still open.

A fair recap of the day ?

Cazzie
July 6th, 2010, 08:46
That was tough ! if it rains, "les pavés du Nord" get slippery, if it does not, you choke in the dust.Today was dust day.

Evans and Schleck (A) win some, Contador is ahead of Amstrong but looked awfully tired on the finishing line, Amstrong loses some. That fellow Thomas needs to be watched. Game still open.

Armstrong punctured in a bad place, Contador does so at the finish line. But I am afraid the time Lance lost to Alberto today will be his 'mal jour'. Poor Frank Schleck, his tour is over. I hate that, I like for all of the combatants to be able to ride it to the finish. Alas, a 'mal jour' for Chavanel too, he loses his maillot jaune after two punctures and exchanges for bikes.

Contador will be hungry in the Alps now that he has nearly a minute over Armstong. I don't think Andy Schleck has it in his legs without his brother. Cancellara will hold the golden fleece until this coming weekend, when I look for the flying Spaniard to cement his control over this year's Tour de France on Sunday.

Caz

huub vink
July 6th, 2010, 14:42

Yep, that was about it. But the Tour has not really started yet. As always the mountains and time trials will make the difference!

Today some lost time and some didn't, but I din't think the differences are already decisive.

Cheers,
Huub

Cazzie
July 6th, 2010, 16:33
Yep, that was about it. But the Tour has not really started yet. As always the mountains and time trials will make the difference!

Today some lost time and some didn't, but I din't think the differences are already decisive.

Cheers,
Huub

The field is wide open with the loss of Frank Schleck Huub, that alone takes Saxo Bank out of the equation, Andy Schleck is nothing without his brother. The only thing that was in the others favor is that Comntador does not have a full team of great mountain men, only he and Vinokourov, but the other teams have been decimated this past week, Levi Leiphammer has a cracked wrist, so he is not going to be 100% for Lance. Kloden has looked spotty at best. Watch Sunday when the stage finishes on s mountain top finish at Morzine-Avoriaz, The Spaniard will have stayed with all his competitors and them drop them one by one on the way up Morzine-Avoriaz.

BTW, go Oranje! Good show today for the men in orange.

Caz

demorier
July 6th, 2010, 23:16
What a goat track some of that was. I think the organizers should have a think about these surfaces some more. Some of that cobblestone stage was only suited to mountain bike really. Those that finished high up in the placings had a lot of luck on there side. Our man Evans made up some good time.:mixedsmi::australia:

dominique
July 7th, 2010, 00:34
What a goat track some of that was. I think the organizers should have a think about these surfaces some more. Some of that cobblestone stage was only suited to mountain bike really. Those that finished high up in the placings had a lot of luck on there side. Our man Evans made up some good time.:mixedsmi::australia:

Are you a wimp or what (just teasing :icon_lol:)?

The cobblestones are a tradition in the French and Belgium cycling almost as old as racing itself. There even is a special race called Paris-Roubaix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris-Roubaix) (a city in Northern France - click on it) in which they are the main feature. It was won by Stuart O'Grady in 2007. See the Australians can also master the dreadful pavé du nord.

Along the years, they disapperead from the landscape (the cobblestones not the AUstralians :)) under the asphalt but some portions are preserved just that purpose !

Now, I'd hate to ride on them, racing would out of question for me. Too dangerous !

Cazzie
July 7th, 2010, 01:00
It is not quite light yet, I am up to feed the pets and then off for about 20 mile around 6:00. But I must miss seeing today's stage live. I have to help my brother mover some furniture this morning before it gets oppressively hot. I shall catch the VERSUS replay, but must miss sitting back and watching the stage without commercial interruption on the steaming Tour Tracker in HD. It is a relatively flat stage for the sprinters today. But all of them are battered and bruised also.

We have several sections of pave in old downtown Danville, but if you wish to train for pave, the hardest surface to ride over are railroad bed rocks sans rails. It will battered your shoulders and hands relentlessly. You must pedal constantly and keep up at least a speed of 15 - 20 km. We once had a five mile stretch of this, that has not been turned into a legitimate trail with packed small crushed run stone. Once you have conquered bed rock, pave is an easy A. :d The largest trouble I have with pave is that it will puncture a tube in a heart breath.

Paris-Roubaix , The Hell of the North, is older than the Tour de France, it is a traditional ritual. Just as there are course for small cyclists in the mountains and flat courses for the sprinter, so too there are course over the cobbles that are made for the big men of cycling. The big men ride over these rough stones better than the little guys. Cancellara looked magnificent yesterday and who on Earth would not want Jens Voight as a domestique. One of my biking friends has a T-shirt that says "Jens Voight is on my team". He will take a boring bike race and make it interesting, a total workhorse, I shall miss his retirement from cycling when it comes.

Cadel was bloody awesome. he looked very good in the Giro for a while but faded in the end. The big mountains will be the tell-tale for Cadel. Though the time trial is long, I think he is good enough this year to limit his losses over a depleted field of leaders. But that mountain top finish on the Tourmalet, after having had to climb the Tourmalet other way just a day before, now that is going to be a test on the riders, all of them.

Caz

dominique
July 7th, 2010, 01:19
It is not quite light yet, I am up to feed the pets and then off for about 20 mile around 6:00. But I must miss seeing today's stage live. I have to help my brother mover some furniture this morning before it gets oppressively hot. I shall catch the VERSUS replay, but must miss sitting back and watching the stage without commercial interruption on the steaming Tour Tracker in HD. It is a relatively flat stage for the sprinters today. But all of them are battered and bruised also.

We have several sections of pave in old downtown Danville, but if you wish to train for pave, the hardest surface to ride over are railroad bed rocks sans rails. It will battered your shoulders and hands relentlessly. You must pedal constantly and keep up at least a speed of 15 - 20 km. We once had a five mile stretch of this, that has not been turned into a legitimate trail with packed small crushed run stone. Once you have conquered bed rock, pave is an easy A. :d The largest trouble I have with pave is that it will puncture a tube in a heart breath.

Paris-Roubaix , The Hell of the North, is older than the Tour de France, it is a traditional ritual. Just as there are course for small cyclists in the mountains and flat courses for the sprinter, so too there are course over the cobbles that are made for the big men of cycling. The big men ride over these rough stones better than the little guys. Cancellara looked magnificent yesterday and who on Earth would not want Jens Voight as a domestique. One of my biking friends has a T-shirt that says "Jens Voight is on my team". He will take a boring bike race and make it interesting, a total workhorse, I shall miss his retirement from cycling when it comes.

Cadel was bloody awesome. he looked very good in the Giro for a while but faded in the end. The big mountains will be the tell-tale for Cadel. Though the time trial is long, I think he is good enough this year to limit his losses over a depleted field of leaders. But that mountain top finish on the Tourmalet, after having had to climb the Tourmalet other way just a day before, now that is going to be a test on the riders, all of them.

Caz

The pavés are irregular in shape and the road is not well maintained, so the riders trajectories have to be thought of meter after meter, in the dust or in the rain. Rough riding.

demorier
July 7th, 2010, 17:06
Only saw a little of the stage last night....quite mundane after the rough surface stages. Need to catch up on some sleep...recommence watching when insomnia sets in or the mountain stages start this weekend (whichever comes first). :wavey:

dominique
July 10th, 2010, 07:43
Way to go Chavanel ! That's truly the Tour de France spirit ...

(couldnt help :jump: !)

Cazzie
July 10th, 2010, 07:48
Tres bien. Sylvain deserves that after the very bad luck he had Wednesday on the cobbles. Think of the advantage in yellow he would have had it not been for that day.

I still say the time Lance lost on the cobbles will be his Achilles's Heel, otherwise he will go with Contador tomorrow and try and hurt Andy Schleck and Cadel. Maybe Sylvain can hold his yellow tomorrow, but they are not his kind of hills, too long and too steep.

Caz

dominique
July 10th, 2010, 08:06
I indeed think that Chavanel will only keep the "maillot jaune" (yellow jersey) for one day. But as the saying goes, tomorrow is another day !

The next stage is going to be interesting : the first two-third are relatively eay and then the last 60 km will have two 1st category passes almost in a row !

demorier
July 10th, 2010, 16:59
Don't like Chavanel's chances....good luck to him for the effort. But he really busted a gut to take out the first of the mountain stages, I would think that effort will take to much out of him for the nasty stuff to come.
The big chances are circling like sharks waiting to pounce.

Cazzie
July 11th, 2010, 02:56
A day when the true leaders come forward.

I tried thinking about what tactics the leaders will use today and I came to the conclusion that Cadel Evans will have to show us if he has it or not today. Saxo Bank, Astana and Radio Shack of going to team up to put some distance on him I feel. I also feel that Andy Schleck and Saxo Bank may cut a deal with Radio Shack to try and break Contador later, but not today, today it is men like Cadel Evans and Bradley Wiggins that are the marked men for deposing off the back along with Ryder Hesjedal and Denis Menchov. They popped Geraint Thomas yesterday and will put much more time over him today. Alexandre Venokourov will help Contador to the last drop, but he too, will eventually be dropped. Leipheimer will likely lose a chink of time today also. I hope Lance has it in his legs, but he is already marked by the Spaniard, who know he has 50-seconds over him and all he has to do is follow the Radio Shack train, even if he does not have a good team of climbers. The race will be Contador's by the time they leave the Alps Tuesday.

Caz

dominique
July 11th, 2010, 04:29
A day when the true leaders come forward.

let's hope so that they get out of their conservative countryside banker race management style (I dont invest if I aint sure 100% to win big).

Cazzie
July 11th, 2010, 08:05
Bravo Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans. Andy proved that Contador can be beaten.

But Armstrong is beaten, were it not for Levi Leipheimer having a good day and staying in contention, I would reckon he would abandon the tour. It has been a hard luck tour for Lance, he has fallen once too often. He is tough, but he may be forced to abandon if he keeps falling.

If he is not badly injured, he will ride out the tour as a super domestique. I still think he wants to have a stage win and will be looking for the Pyrenees, where the climbs are steeper. A stage win would be a good retirement gift for him and his fans.

But I am thinking all along that Cadel is looking good, so is Andy Schleck, but his Time Trialing will need improvement.

So I need a rest tomorrow also, I have missed two mornings of cycling due to the early morning coverage on tour tracker, today's coverage started at 5:30 AM EDT, normal start times are not until 8:30.

Now it is off to watch the Silverstone F-1 race, which is being rebroadcast delayed on FOX here. This is proving to be an interesting tour and I do now believe that Contador can be beaten. After the race, I'll tune in the World Cup, a sort of Sunday delight, as it is so hot and humid outside, so I am staying in and watching! Go Oranje!!!!

Caz

dominique
July 11th, 2010, 08:53
The last 10 km were a pure exercise of risk aversion by the big guys if not for Schleck at the very end. Contador was specially disappointing as he benefited from a strong team doing most of the race end or him. Schleck and Evans were a little lonesome in the last 10 and that does no bode well for their future.

Good finish of Van den Broek.

Amstrong had poor luck and maybe is a little old for riding the Tour ahead. Bravo for trying anyway.

huub vink
July 11th, 2010, 15:15
Our Dutch hope Geesink finished 3rd this stage and Mechov another rider from the single Dutch team in this years race finished in the same time.

It was a nice gesture Chavanel was allowed to finish before the group with Lance.

I don't know whether Lance will be able to win a mountain stage, but I think he has some chances in this years time trial.

Cheers,
Huub

Cazzie
July 11th, 2010, 16:36
Our Dutch hope Geesink finished 3rd this stage and Mechov another rider from the single Dutch team in this years race finished in the same time.

It was a nice gesture Chavanel was allowed to finish before the group with Lance.

I don't know whether Lance will be able to win a mountain stage, but I think he has some chances in this years time trial.

Cheers,
Huub

No Huub, Lance will never turn over a large screw like he use to in order to win a time trial. But there are five mountain stages left and Lance has nothing to lose now by taking off on one or two of them and putting Contador in a good deal of bother. I do not care if any of the other contenders win the tour, just as long as it is not Alberto Contador. I do not like the man, he races for himself and not his team.

Caz

demorier
July 11th, 2010, 16:40
:wavey:

Cazzie
July 12th, 2010, 08:47
:wavey:

I hope Cadel enjoys his Maillot Jaune Tomorrow is going to be a long day for the contenders and it is a tough job to defend the jersey in the mountains where your team must lead and you are a marked man. Lance may be out of it, but this is still a wide-open Tour de France, only two and a half minutes separate the top ten competitors. Thus far only Contador's team has held force on the last climbs.

Caz

wombat666
July 12th, 2010, 10:22
He's been a quiet achiever so far Caz and that's not a bad way to operate.
:ernae:

huub vink
July 12th, 2010, 11:52
He's been a quiet achiever so far Caz and that's not a bad way to operate.
:ernae:

The world title has changed him, but I still don't know whether he will really attack in the mountains.

Cheers,
Huub

Cazzie
July 13th, 2010, 07:56
The world title has changed him, but I still don't know whether he will really attack in the mountains.

Cheers,
Huub

Well, I think today answered that and it was not because he did not have the protection of a team.

The heads of state are set, but as far as I am concerned, it is over: game, set, match to Contador. He will decimate Andy Schleck in the steep Pyrenees and further kill him in the time trial. I hope Andy enjoys his next few days in yellow.

A pity about Lance, but I feel even without the bad days, his tour runs would be over, he simply does not have the legs or the ambition any more. Levi's tour has ended also, he is playing for a third place podium at best.

But Andy Schleck looked brilliant again today and he and Alberto Contador definitively answered the question as to who will be the true tour competitors this year. I am pulling for him to hopefully unseat the Spaniard in the Pyrenees and gain enough time to limit his losses in the time trial, but I have my worst fears that the tables will be turned before the time trial is even a question.

Caz

dominique
July 13th, 2010, 08:17
That was a stage as I like them :) !

Schleck was impressive, imposing his agenda to Contador who just had to follow. And he did follow.... Both had a lot of energy left after an exhausting stage. Their duel when they left the meager peloton was the Tour as its best.

Last year AS indeed lost almost two minutes in the time trial to Contador. So to keep the maillot jaune up to Paris he'll have to do better than that. We'll see.

Bravo to Sandy Cazar, a beatiful winning in a climbing and twisted finale and hat off to Evans who transcended his pain to finish the stage.

demorier
July 13th, 2010, 16:38
What a gruelling hill climb duel that was...the pace has been very fast on those big climbs. Who knows what will happen, the leaders and the team mates would have used up a lot of juice now. I don't want to put a hex on them but the 2 top guys guys are the only main title contenders to NOT have any problems so far with crashes straight in front, dogs running out in the way, stupid reporters running out in front of the riders etc.
Bit of a pity for our man Evans, don't know if he will struggle on or not. :rolleyes:

Cazzie
July 14th, 2010, 02:35
What a gruelling hill climb duel that was...the pace has been very fast on those big climbs. Who knows what will happen, the leaders and the team mates would have used up a lot of juice now. I don't want to put a hex on them but the 2 top guys guys are the only main title contenders to NOT have any problems so far with crashes straight in front, dogs running out in the way, stupid reporters running out in front of the riders etc.
Bit of a pity for our man Evans, don't know if he will struggle on or not. :rolleyes:

Beg your pardon, Andy Schleck fell the day of the first stage and everyone though he had busted his arm, but he finished and continued on. Only Alberto Contador has gone through this tour without a scratch. All those items are tour incidents that have happened since the tour has become extremely popular years ago. These things happen. Lance caused his own mishap (the first one in the traffic island), when he clipped his pedal on the curbing and rolled his front tire. Cadel has to be hurting too, but lance's time was lost due to time expended due to the accidents, Cadel's performance yesterday was due to him trying so hard two days before and having a rest day and then just giving out of gas. Neither Lance nor Cadel is out due to injuries, but because the field is much younger now and the young men rule the roost. As far as the Tour de France goes, it is time for both to step off the mantle.

I literally despise Alberto Contador, but he is going to win the Tour, perhaps by the largest margin it has been won by in recent years. Like Lance Armstrong ten years ago, he is in a league of his own and can dictate how this race goes by himself, he really doesn't even need a team, he is that good at the discipline it takes to win a long tour.

Caz

demorier
July 14th, 2010, 21:50
I'm off tomorrow on a 2 week driving holiday...might get difficult but I'll be watching whenever possible.

See ya's all in a while.

dominique
July 14th, 2010, 22:07
Enjoy your vacations !

Cazzie
July 15th, 2010, 01:26
Have a good walk about mate. I think the tour has been decided already, if you reverse the current podium positions. The third podium is the only one in question. I am up for the tour this morning, had a quelling 25-mile ride myself in the heat of the haut Virginia Summer.

Caz

Cazzie
July 16th, 2010, 07:22
:bump:

Had to bring this one back to top. Great stage today, I kew it would be a rough one. Now I have to go to Mende and take off from the aircraft carrier! :>)

I knew when the gradient got steep, Contador would start to stamp his authority.

I am thinking Andy Schleck has only tomorrow to remain in yellow, the Spaniard will wrench the jersey from him Sunday outright and claim his 3rd Toour a week in advance.

Caz

dominique
July 16th, 2010, 08:21
This was indeed a dramatic stage. Contador showed all the gentleman he is (NOT !) coming back on Vinokourov as he did... At least Rodriguez won.

As for climbing up the "montée Jallabert", I'll let you go first ;)

Cazzie
July 16th, 2010, 12:39
This was indeed a dramatic stage. Contador showed all the gentleman he is (NOT !) coming back on Vinokourov as he did... At least Rodriguez won.

As for climbing up the "montée Jallabert", I'll let you go first ;)

No, that is the steepest grade they have climbed this year, may be the steepest of all. Maybe on my mountain bike in the granny gear :d. But the Pyrenees are all steep, at least two percent steeper on average than the Alpine climbs. And the Tourmalet, you go first here, especially the day they finish on it. :ernae:

Perhaps the Col d'Aubisque is not so steep, but she is never ending, nearly a twenty mile ascent! :isadizzy:

It will be over Sunday.

Caz

huub vink
July 16th, 2010, 13:08
It will be over Sunday.

Caz

Perhaps Contador keeps him struggling a little bit longer, Schleck said he was surprised by the sudden attack and we have seen Schleck can be very tough! However he won't stand a chance in the time trial!

On Belgium television Vinokourov said he was not angry, but just disappointed, as he understood the yellow jersey was more important to the team. Personally I had the feeling it was payback time for earlier this Tour, when Vino, didn't wait for Contador......

The Dutch team Rabobank does well so far this year! Menchov fourth and Gesink seventh. I hope they can maintain their positions, which would quite an achievement.

Cheers,
Huub

Cazzie
July 16th, 2010, 14:10
Perhaps Contador keeps him struggling a little bit longer, Schleck said he was surprised by the sudden attack and we have seen Schleck can be very tough! However he won't stand a chance in the time trial!

On Belgium television Vinokourov said he was not angry, but just disappointed, as he understood the yellow jersey was more important to the team. Personally I had the feeling it was payback time for earlier this Tour, when Vino, didn't wait for Contador......

The Dutch team Rabobank does well so far this year! Menchov fourth and Gesink seventh. I hope they can maintain their positions, which would quite an achievement.

Cheers,
Huub

It will be over except for third, perhaps even second if And Schleck given Andy Schleck's poor time trialing and this will be a long time trial. Actually, Menchov is looking stronger day by day and he can hold his own in a time trial too, he is to be watched. I only see Gesink falling further down in the Pyrenees. Sanchev will slip too. But watch Ivan Basso in the Pyrenees, I don't think he has it for the yellow or second, but he could be a danger yet on the podium. Much like Lance's tour wins, it has been an exciting tour except for knowing the overall winner in advance. :ernae:

Alberto Contador rules, as much as I despise him, he is the Eddy Merckx of his era, he can dictate this race any way he chooses.

Caz

dominique
July 17th, 2010, 06:59
Hey Caz, this one is for you :) !

huub vink
July 18th, 2010, 04:25
Alberto Contador rules, as much as I despise him, he is the Eddy Merckx of his era, he can dictate this race any way he chooses.

This afternoon I saw an interview made on Friday with Andy Schleck. In this interview he revealed he and is his brother are friends with Alberto Contador and they have spend quite some time together. Andy Schleck also revealed that he had done most of his training in the Pyrenees.

And I hope you're not correct about Gesink ;)

Back to the television as they are cycling now. I have done my private 75 kilometers (47 miles) already this morning (good temperature, however a lot of wind).

Cheers,
Huub

dominique
July 18th, 2010, 07:31
Bravo Christophe :france: !

That was weird today, a track rider winning a mountain stage and the two leaders observing each other almost at standstill like if they were on a track !

Condator was either a little out of shape ot just playing safe waiting for the Bordeaux-Pauillac TT. I don't understand why Schleck didn't try to test him. He lost a great opportunity today. So much the better for Riblon.

Cazzie
July 18th, 2010, 08:27
Unbelievable, a Frenchman may not win the Tour this year, but they sure are eating up the stage wins.

And Contador actually looked vulnerable, I wonder if it was a ruse.

I am disappointed in Armstrong, I want him to make one good show in this year's tour and he is looking weak and dejected like he just wants the Tour over. There are three days left for him to make a show. If he isn't interested in helping Leipheimer or trying for a stage win, he should abandon and go home! Vino really has looked good the last three days, he has done everything he could for his team.

But Menchov is really looking good and he can turn in a decent time trial too, if Contador and Schleck try playing their hesitation games, they could find the top two spots on the podium at risk. What a beautiful day they had in the tour today.

Caz

Cazzie
July 18th, 2010, 08:34
This afternoon I saw an interview made on Friday with Andy Schleck. In this interview he revealed he and is his brother are friends with Alberto Contador and they have spend quite some time together. Andy Schleck also revealed that he had done most of his training in the Pyrenees.

And I hope you're not correct about Gesink ;)

Back to the television as they are cycling now. I have done my private 75 kilometers (47 miles) already this morning (good temperature, however a lot of wind).

Cheers,
Huub

The Tour came on too early for me to ride Huub, I'll have to wait until later this afternoon and ride in the heat and low sun. I had to work a 5K Run yesterday morning, but I rode before and after for 31 miles total. My weight is down to 165-lb and the hills feel good again. But the heat and humidity is oppressing here this July.

huub vink
July 18th, 2010, 08:48
Bravo Christophe Riblon, a brave ride and definitely a deserved win. I think it will take two days at least before he realises what he has achieved!

When Schleck and Contador started their poker game, Menchov had 32 seconds on them at one point. However at the finish they only lost 14 seconds on Menchov and Sanchez. When I see how quick Schleck and Contador closed the gap, I don't think neither of them had a weak moment.

Menchov is indeed strong and I'm convinced he will try tol attack again tomorrow. First he will try to pass Sanchez and he will try to make the gap towards the yellow jersey as close as possible and he will try to pass them in the time trial. ALthough I think more than 2 minutes is already quite a distance.

Tomorrow the last climb will be longer, which will be good for Gesink. Today Leipheimer lost 45 seconds on him and Gesink took over sixth place in the general standing. As Levi Leipheimer will most probably be better in the time trial, Gesink should make a gap in the Pyrenees. And of course this will be good for Menchov as well.

You should not be disappointed in Armstrong, he had an incredible carrier, however this is just one Tour too much. When I see the amount of times he fell from his bicycle, I conclude he is not focused and will most probably just try to finish the Tour. Perhaps he can do or even perhaps does something for Leipheimer in the first part of the stages. We don't see everything.

Cheers,
Huub

dominique
July 18th, 2010, 09:15
Doing road cycling is a bit dangerous where I live so I did only 45 minutes of continuous swimming and one hour of beach cycling... and I'm still at 183 pounds :icon_lol: (for 5'11''). I'd love to be at 165 !

I am with Huub about Amstrong. He was very gracious on French TV with poor Fignon on his side and confirmed that he wanted to go Paris.

huub vink
July 18th, 2010, 11:29
Euhmm I got reason to be jealous on the both of you. I'm currently 214 lb and 6ft and 3 inches. In which region do you live Dominique? My experience with cycling in France is very positive, despite the horror stories I had heard in the past. Most French car drivers leave you lots of space, which is quite a difference with the Netherlands and Belgium.
In the Netherlands we have lots of cycling tracks and car drivers are not used of bicycles sharing the road with them. In Belgium..... well that's Belgium ;)

Not so long ago I was 185 lb, but somehow it is much easier to gain weight than to loose it.......

Cheers,
Huub

Cazzie
July 18th, 2010, 13:42
Euhmm I got reason to be jealous on the both of you. I'm currently 214 lb and 6ft and 3 inches. In which region do you live Dominique? My experience with cycling in France is very positive, despite the horror stories I had heard in the past. Most French car drivers leave you lots of space, which is quite a difference with the Netherlands and Belgium.
In the Netherlands we have lots of cycling tracks and car drivers are not used of bicycles sharing the road with them. In Belgium..... well that's Belgium ;)

Not so long ago I was 185 lb, but somehow it is much easier to gain weight than to loose it.......

Cheers,
Huub

Ah, but I am a small man Huub, I am only 5' 7". When I was racing criteriums 25 plus years ago, I weighed only 150-lb and my body fat of only 7%. Sure wish I could say the same now. :>) I ballooned to 181-lb after my two operations in 1995. but lost back to 175 in a year. It has been an uphill battle ever since to get my weight below 170-lb., a feat I finally attained this year. But I have dedicated myself to exercise more this year than the past. Lazy boy fun like constructing models and sitting at the computer have taken a back seat to exercise. And I watch my food intake also.

But beer is my downfall, I love beer. All of the body fat I carry today is due to beer! :d

Caz

dominique
July 19th, 2010, 00:53
. In which region do you live Dominique?

I'm from Paris but I've been working and living in Tel Aviv for the past few years.

My experience with cycling in France is very positive, despite the horror stories I had heard in the past. Most French car drivers leave you lots of space

When I was working in Paris, I was riding my bike to go working without too much problem. One has to be careful though.

somehow it is much easier to gain weight than to loose it.......

Don't tell me the story of my life, fruits and cheese these are my main ennemies :icon_lol:...

dominique
July 19th, 2010, 07:20
Bravo Thomas, beautiful fifth :france: victory on the 2010 Tour !

As for poor Andy Schleck, very impressive, comes to mind the Yiddish saying : Man makes plans, God laughs.

Cazzie
July 19th, 2010, 07:45
I am still breathing heavy and shaking. Partly our of abnger and partly out of fear on that descent. Whew!

And another French victory, five so far this tour. Champagne for Thomas Voeckler, he pulled a superb breakaway.

I do not lnow whether to curse Alberto Contador yet again or praise him for keeping Sanvhev and Menchov in check! Poor Andy Schleck, for me it is a rule of cycling to wait up for a mechanical, it is just the chivalrous thing to do. Lance Armstrong waited for Jan Ulrich after an accident even, it is the difference in a gentleman and a cur. But Sanchez and Menchov are also to blame, to take advantage of a rider who has a mechanical is just not my way of behavior, but I am old school. And the cur Spaniard tried to win his group finish, pushing one rider aside. I hope Andy Schleck eats him alive tomorrow and again Thursday. It is good to hear the French people booing Contador as he dons the Yellow. He will have few fans except for his Basque comrades tomorrow. I have come to despise him that much more, only some arrogant rider like Fignon could pull a move like that.

But the stage rates a 10, it was beautiful for the scenery, the descent down the Port de Bales was nail biting. I went on a 20 mile ride early this morning

Caz

dominique
July 20th, 2010, 00:42
Le Tourmalet and l'Aubisque, now we're talkin'. Every rider finishing the stage will deserve applause !

And this is win or loose today for Schleck ! Merckx won in '69 after a 180 km solitary breakaway on this stage (I suspect he was doped up to the gills but the other riders too:) )

Cazzie
July 20th, 2010, 01:56
Le Tourmalet and l'Aubisque, now we're talkin'. Every rider finishing the stage will deserve applause !

And this is win or loose today for Schleck ! Merckx won in '69 after a 180 km solitary breakaway on this stage (I suspect he was doped up to the gills but the other riders too:) )

Oui and the event is under way on Tour Tracker, as Kreuziger and Roche have jumped at the official start. It's up the Peryesourde now. See you in about six hours Dominique.

Go Andy.

Caz

dominique
July 20th, 2010, 07:34
Should I gloat ? hmm, well yes... Bravo To Pierrick Fedrigo :france: and Sandi Casar :france: . Allez la France... French riders may not do a great Tour if you look at the "general" but gosh you see them ahead in 2010 ! Feels good.

:applause: to Barredo too who tried to pull a nice stunt, 30 km ahead against the wind after passing all the big ones, you need not only legs but also balls ! He almost succeeded !

Schleck stayed put with the excuse of a very weak team. Or does he think too much ? Thursday ?

Cazzie
July 20th, 2010, 08:17
Should I gloat ? hmm, well yes... Bravo To Pierrick Fedrigo :france: and Sandi Casar :france: . Allez la France... French riders may not do a great Tour if you look at the "general" but gosh you see them ahead in 2010 ! Feels good.

:applause: to Barredo too who tried to pull a nice stunt, 30 km ahead against the wind after passing all the big ones, you need not only legs but also balls ! He almost succeeded !

Schleck stayed put with the excuse of a very weak team. Or does he think too much ? Thursday ?

Oui, bravo la France. A Frenchman will not wear Yellow, but surely the French lead the national competition for victories with six so far. Lance did his best and I still think if he has it after the rest day, he will go again Thursday. But Thursday will be the showdown between the heads of state in the tour.

It may come down to Saturday's time trial, but there will be huge attacks Thursday up the Tourmalet. It will be Andy Schleck's last chance to don the yellow. Watch out for Denis Menchov, his Rabobank team were in the peloton all day. Sanchez was able to catch up on the descents with his bravery, but Thursday's stage does not end on a descent. Huub, Gesink rode a brilliant ride today, but like Sanchez he used brave descents to catch the peloton. I fear he will be a lost man on the ascent of the Tourmalet Thursday.

Today's stage was not as dramatic as yesterday's, but it made up for it in sheer beauty. I hope Versus continues to offer Tour Tracker, it has been a most wonderful experience. On TV, one rarely sees the descents, they always focus on the parts of the race that may pertain to an overall change in position, meaning the ascents. Helicopter views are limited also. But on Tour Tracker, I see the race from beginning to end, beaucoup of the most wonderful backdrops from helicopter views along with many more motorbike cameras than on TV. One watches the race develop like a VIP tourist, today was just awe inspiring in the views. But I have to say, I was riveted to the screen yesterday during the descent down the Port de Bales, I having never in my life witnessed such a wicked, scary descent like that. I am going back when I get time today and watch the video of that again today, it makes me sweat! :d
Viva le Tour! Viva la France! :ernae:

Caz

dominique
July 20th, 2010, 09:25
You should see what I see as the French public television has bought the exclusive rights to ASO. When there're commercials on French TV, I switch to Eurosport where I see the same thing.

One of the great pleasures of the Tour which is not only a race but also a gigantic folk festival, is indeed the superb views from the two helicopters.

This year we've again Jallabert on a motorbike and Fignon in spite of his cancer as commentators.

Schleck looks really strong. May he be daring too. He'd also need some work from the Saxo Bank's to wither Astana's foot soldiers... Didn't get any today or yersterday when he needed it.

Amstrong did a really good show all along. I waited for him to try to breakaway in the last five km. He couldn't.

BTW you should've made a pro-cycling career. That where the money is :). Rumor says that Cantador is asking 6 millions euros (7,8 M$) to switch from Astana.

Cazzie
July 20th, 2010, 11:41
BTW you should've made a pro-cycling career. That where the money is :). Rumor says that Cantador is asking 6 millions euros (7,8 M$) to switch from Astana.

Oh non, I should have been a stand-up comedian, built up my act and given one final show at age 40 for $20,000,000.00! :icon_lol:

Caz, who needs a bike ride during the rest day tomorrow, as I had none today due to the early start of the race coverage. The same can be said for Thursday. Tonight, the home baseball team returns for a six game stand. Two of my old HS buddies are meeting me this evening for the start at 7:00 PM. Normally this time of year, when I ride in the evening, I leave at 6:00 to 6:30 PM in order to get back by 8:00. So tonight it is :icon29: over cycling.

Cazzie
July 21st, 2010, 17:05
:bump:About tomorrow's stage and my coverage starts very early, 5:30 AM EDT.

Friday will be a neutral day for the sprinters that are left, but Saturday is yet another day that may decide the tour this year. The Pyreenees, usually shrouded in clouds and fog, have been very clear this year to mark the tour's 100th anniversary in them fabled chain.

I hope I can find a source that carries the Vuelta much like this, I would subscribe in a minute.

Caz

dominique
July 21st, 2010, 22:46
:bump:About tomorrow's stage and my coverage starts very early, 5:30 AM EDT.

Friday will be a neutral day for the sprinters that are left, but Saturday is yet another day that may decide the tour this year. The Pyreenees, usually shrouded in clouds and fog, have been very clear this year to mark the tour's 100th anniversary in them fabled chain.

I hope I can find a source that carries the Vuelta much like this, I would subscribe in a minute.

Caz

I cannot sleep either but only because I ride my bike too late in the day when it's cooler which is not conductive to a good sleep :) !

At 5:30 am EDT, it will be 13:30 pm for me I guess. I will be in a business lunch (even if I'm officially in vacation !) with an Israeli colleague then will rush back to my home to watch the stage :).

Today should be decisive but don't we know all the result, Shcleck is strong, Saxo Bank is weak ? Tomorrow is going to be boring except maybe for the helicopter views (I don't care much for massive final sprints and that Cavendish guy doesn't impress me a bit) and the TT on the day after will be of course a great stage because the riders will be face to face to themselves after a grueling race this year !

EDIT

Huh ho what did you say about the weather ?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/domkle/etape_17.gif

Cazzie
July 22nd, 2010, 01:36
Aye! Yi! Yi! A wet day om the mountains, this tour has been gracious, but she goes out like she came in, a lion. The riders will face purgatory today. The wind is most varible, but it seems they will have a tail wind most of the day and up the Tourmalet, that is always welcome.

I hope it is a light rain, so that transmission of the race is possible. But indeed right at the moment, it is raining the full course saved for the very top of the Tourmalet.

Caz

Cazzie
July 22nd, 2010, 08:06
Bravo, what a beautiful stage race. I am breathless and also very far behind in my daily chores, which I must now do. If you have not seen the outcome, I shall not say, but perhaps Alberto Contador is a gentleman after all.

Caz

huub vink
July 22nd, 2010, 08:52
Caz, they are friends and even spend holidays together (see below). And remember Andy Schleck would perhaps not even have been on the second spot when the Ardennes stage had not been "neutralised" by his team mate Cancellara.

My fellow countryman Gesink has done well and will most probably remain in the top 10. Perhaps Mechov can make up enough time in the time trial to make it to the podium.

I was surprised to see Lance arriving way before Leipheimer. I had expected he would try to help his team mate.

Cheers,
Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/vriendschap.jpg

dominique
July 22nd, 2010, 09:41
So as the French saying goes "la messe est dite" (the mass has been said). Without much surprise, we know the 2010 Tour winner a little ahead of time :).

Two great riders, a beautiful finish. I've the feeling that Contador had still some energy left to launch a swift counter-attack but why spend his forces as he is the favourite in the TT anyway ?

About the controversy of three days ago, one must remember that this is a huge mediatic event (in Europe at least) and that journalists blow things out of proportions. The consensus among the ones who know (ex-champs like Fignon or Jallabert) is that Schleck didn't suffer from a mechanical but made a mistake shifting gear while standing up on the pedals (how do you say "être en danseuse" in English :) ?) and that Contador could not let Sanchez and Menchov slip away.

A most beautiful Tour...

huub vink
July 22nd, 2010, 11:57
A most beautiful Tour...

I fully agree. Although the winner isn't a real surprise, it was definitely a fascinating Tour until now.

The winner might be known, but the top 10 is so close, that the time trial will be exciting to watch. And Sunday, once they have reached Le Avenue des Champs-Elysées, will be fun to watch as well. despite the fact we all know it will end in a sprint as usual!

Cheers,
Huub

dominique
July 24th, 2010, 08:26
My secret wish was to see today a race so close between the two that the last stage wouldn't be the usual bore it has become over the recent years ! It was not meant to be but not by far :jump:. Superb duel. Mano a mano !

Menchov did good also and Schleck is indeed lucky that he did not do better in the Tourmalet !

Cazzie
July 24th, 2010, 09:29
It was beautiful dominique. Perhaps Andy needs a little wind tunnel testing to make his position more aerodynamic, he rides much too upright .

And yes, there was reason for Contador to fear Menchov the other day when he left with him and Sanchez in lieu of waiting for Andy after the chain slippage. His was the best TT by the heads of state by far and if he had made a little more time in the mountains, I am thinking the Maillot Jaune could have been his.

Next year's tour is building up as a spectacular event, let's hope the French give us a tour like this year's tour, but please, there must be a TTT, no grand tour is complete without it.

Caz

dominique
July 24th, 2010, 09:50
Perhaps Andy needs a little wind tunnel testing to make his position more aerodynamic, he rides much too upright .

Jallabert was saying on the French TV that AS who has a longish torso actually is a victim of a UCI regulation : the saddle must be a certain distance behind a vertical line drawn through the centre of the bottom bracket. His saddle is too close to the handlebar.

let's hope the French give us a tour like this year's tour

The cleaning of the French cycling from the dope scourge begins to show. We have good riders voracious for stage victories and breaking away more than most. Honestly I prefer Chartreau polka dots jersey to Virenque's.

please, there must be a TTT, no grand tour is complete without it.

Caz

A Team TT has already been officially announced for an early (2nd one I guess) stage !

dominique
July 25th, 2010, 08:16
A great tour. I only wish they'd reconsider the format of the last stage to avoid yet another massive sprint ! It'd be nice to see a breakway of few riders entering ahead the Champs Elysées...

Now, like every year, we have to face the same big question : what will I do tomorrow afternoon now that the Tour has ended :icon_lol: !

Cazz, Huub, shall we officially close the 2010 Tour de France SOH thread now :) ?

Cazzie
July 25th, 2010, 08:39
Oui dominique, I shall be suffering from withdrawal tomorrow with no tour stage to se.

It was a beautiful tour and an exciting one. Who would have thought Andy Schleck would have put in the TT he did yesterday. As I mentioned after he had to abandon, Andy would miss his brother Frank. With Frank I feel they could have broken Contador this year in the mountains with Frank's consistent attacks.

But the winner is Contador and this year he really had to earn his Maillot Jaune.

Caz

Do you see any envy in this screen? :d

dominique
July 25th, 2010, 08:47
Oui dominique, I shall be suffering from withdrawal tomorrow with no tour stage to se.

It was a beautiful tour and an exciting one. Who would have thought Andy Schleck would have put in the TT he did yesterday. As I mentioned after he had to abandon, Andy would miss his brother Frank. With Frank I feel they could have broken Contador this year in the mountains with Frank's consistent attacks.

But the winner is Contador and this year he really had to earn his Maillot Jaune.

Caz

They're human !

Contador says he had difficult days during the Tour, physically and psychologically. What made the difference at the end of the day is a greater maturity and greater tactical sense. I would hesitate to play poker with Contador :)

huub vink
July 25th, 2010, 10:24

Yep, becoming second is always the worst place to end. But in this case Andy must be thinking "so close!"

It was a facinating Tour this year. Contador and Schleck were definitely the best with distance, Mechov was just the best of the rest. New talents like van der Broeck and Gesink are a promise for the future.

Hopefully this Tour was en example of what can be expected in the next years.

Saturday it is the Classico San Sebastian already. When I see the weather forecats I might sit in front of the television instead of on my own bicycle.

Cheers,
Huub

Cazzie
July 25th, 2010, 13:10
Well, in another month I can order the Vuelta over the Internet, so all is not lost. :d

I stayed off my bike today Huub, the heat index reached 113° F this afternoon at 3:00 PM EDT, 101° F actual. My body does not take heat like that anymore, I have to stay in and bask in the A/C. I have had motorsports racing all day anyhow, getting ready for the IZOD Indy race at Edmonton.

Storms are to pass through this evening late and tomorrow is to be some 10° F cooler, so if it is not wet in the morning, I shall ride then.

Caz