Kiwikat
July 4th, 2010, 20:48
Their ugliness also ranks higher than most DSLR's too! :173go1:

luckydog
July 4th, 2010, 21:19
interesting...

Cazzie
July 5th, 2010, 03:20
They didn't rate the Olympus PEN EP1 too highly, yet my Pentax got as good of a score as the Nikons and close to the Canon EOS. Go figure. The picture is in the hands of the user anyhow. There is no miracle camera.

Caz

Panther_99FS
July 5th, 2010, 07:30
Cazz,
The PEN cameras use a purpose made m4/3'ds sensor whereas the NEX series uses a DSLR APS-C sensor....

JorisVandenBerghe
July 5th, 2010, 11:50
Not surprising, if you know how big that sensor is versus a a (Micro) Four Thirds sensor, let alone a point 'n shoot's sensor.

Kiwi, perhaps I should start saying something about the ugly Canon L-lens colours :173go1:.

I really like them. I mean, look at the picture below. The design is just superb (look at the lenses! Made of chrome...don't they look great ?)...me thinks Bill (Lionheart) would like them too.

(Not my picture: )

http://img37.imagefra.me/img/img37/8/7/5/jorisvdb/f_742iir81w3qm_cc25595.jpg

Panther_99FS
July 5th, 2010, 14:03
The biggest thing that I don't like in the NEX compared to the PEN series is that the NEX lacks in-body stabilzation - other than that, fantastic camera!

Kiwikat
July 5th, 2010, 14:08
Kiwi, perhaps I should start saying something about the ugly Canon L-lens colours :173go1:.

No worse than sony silver... :173go1: :icon_lol:

Where did Sony get the idea for putting that red/orange ring around the end?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/3274612890_7411accb31.jpg http://digitalcameraclub.com.au/images/canon_ef_70_200mm_f2.8_l_is_usm.gif

Hmmm... :wavey:

Tracon
July 5th, 2010, 15:51
Now ya done it.

Moparmike
July 5th, 2010, 19:26
The new Sony seems to be spec'ing out pretty decent with users and reviewers.

I guess I'm just not quite understanding the whole EVIL camera concept yet though.
Interchangable lenses are a good thing, but I just can't grasp the concept of using no optical viewfinder on a camera unless it's firmly bolted to a tripod.
I've fought with "shooting from arms length" with little PnS cameras for years but after hanging a bigger lens on the end of the NEX or PEN it just seems like it would make it even more ungainly to use.
I just can't get the stability to take a decent shot unless I can "brace to my face".
Anyone care to share pointers?

Panther_99FS
July 5th, 2010, 20:14
I guess I'm just not quite understanding the whole EVIL camera concept yet though.
Interchangable lenses are a good thing, but I just can't grasp the concept of using no optical viewfinder

The PEN-2 & E-PL1 offer an optional optical viewfinder....it's weird that Sony didn't offer the same....

JorisVandenBerghe
July 6th, 2010, 10:23
Actually, Sony does offer an optical viewfinder for the NEX-cameras - but it's limited to the 16mm f/2.8. I believe it's made out of five glass elements. I think Sony said they are working on an EVF, too.

It's quite easy to use (more handy than true point 'n shoots) - you use your left hand to support it under the lens and to zoom in/out, and your right hand to take a photo, or adjust the aperture, shutter speed, etc. Indeed, it's not exactly intended to use, say, a 70-400 (the one Kiwi showed in his post - weighing in at 1.5 kilograms it ain't exactly small and light). That's why I'm getting a bigger, heavier and generally more capable camera than my A350 for use on the 70-400. Something like an A900 like it is now (it has a 100 % viewfinder, which matches the size of Canon's 1Ds Mark III, if I recall a review correctly), with HD-video and improved battery life and buffer) or the A7XX would be great, with a vertical grip on it.

By the way, Kiwi - the orange ring is on the lens hood, NOT on the lens ;).

About the Optical SteadyShot (OSS): I would have preferred in-body stabilization myself too, but it seems to work great, judging from user reviews and Dpreview.com's test. The body is just too small to accommodate a big APS-C DSLR sensor AND the SuperSteadyShot/SteadyShot Inside stabilization.