PDA

View Full Version : Hobbs Army Air Field 1942-1948

Milton Shupe
November 16th, 2008, 15:32
The NM state has just issued a very glossy document on the history of the Hobbs AAF. Its initial mission was bombardier training in AT-11's but quickly changed to B-17 pilot and 4-engine mechanic training. Actor Jimmy Stewart was in the first group of B-17 Cadets here for training. Col. Joseph P. Bailey was the Commanding Officer who oversaw B-17 Training.

The air base had 457 structures, over 3560 military and 1000 civilians working on base at its peak. At peak times, there were 15 squadrons here,

The book documents all the major structures, pics of blueprints, aerial views of the base, runways, bombing fields, ordinance strorage, the flight line, pilot and mechanic training classrooms, etc. handy for building scenery of same.

Pilot training was from 6AM to Midnight every day. Early B-17 training had no manuals and procedures so they were developed as part of the classes. The resulting info finally became the B-17 Fly Fortress Training Manual in 1944.

After the war, aircraft including A-26's and P-51's were mothballed here before being shipped later to permanent storage.

If anyone has an interest in developing scenery for the HAAF, please contact me.

Jagdflieger
November 16th, 2008, 18:11
What town was Hobbs AAF near?

Milton Shupe
November 16th, 2008, 18:46
Hobbs, NM is in the SE corner of New Mexico near the Texas line. The Lea County airport is KHOB and the now Industrial Airpark (formerly the HAAF) is about 5 miles due North and is still an active airstrip (ICAO = HBB).

Runways are 8810' and 7000'. Google Earth shows it very well.

OBIO
November 16th, 2008, 18:54
Milton,

I shot you a PM. I may tackle Hobbs in FSSC as a learning project....or perhaps after I get a bit better at using the proggy.

OBIO

Milton Shupe
November 16th, 2008, 19:11
Received and responded.

I will be posting a few pics tomorrow night out of the book. I will send the book to you if you wish to take this on.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of a satellite photo of today's IAP. All the land to the East of the flight line to the highway (in yellow) contained the many structures. A few concrete bunkers still exist.

bretnutz
November 17th, 2008, 04:29
Hey guys........go over to Paul Freemans Site...." Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/NM/Airfields_NM_SE.htm#hobbs

He has a Great Site with Photos of Buildind and such.

all the best

bretnutz