PDA

View Full Version : Virtavia B-1B has been released!!

centuryseries
July 4th, 2010, 04:52
http://www.virtavia.com/?page_id=176

Looks great!!

http://www.virtavia.com/wp-content/gallery/b-1b-lancer/b-1b_fsx_13.jpg

http://www.virtavia.com/wp-content/gallery/b-1b-lancer/b-1b_fsx_vc07.jpg

Pepere
July 4th, 2010, 05:20
Looks really great... Wonder how the FPS are? And price is not that bad!

David

Roger
July 4th, 2010, 05:41
Looking very good indeed. I'm more of a low and slow flyer but I may have to get this sometime soon.

mal998
July 4th, 2010, 05:48
Frame rates are excellent.

Tweek
July 4th, 2010, 05:51
Gonna have to get some opinions before I consider buying it, as it isn't exactly cheap. Will have to be of very high quality for me to shell out the best part of Ģ30.

Prowler1111
July 4th, 2010, 06:27
..You mean itīs usd 60.00?!?!...

EDIT: I stand corrected, itīs 39.95

Prowler

conork
July 4th, 2010, 06:35
sssssooooooo the sea king next ???? :P

Tweek
July 4th, 2010, 07:03
..You mean itīs usd 60.00?!?!...

EDIT: I stand corrected, itīs 39.95

Prowler

It's about Ģ26.30, which to me, is starting to near the limit of what I'd pay for a single aircraft. And anything above Ģ30 would have to be very high quality.

To me, it looks very similar to the old FS9 model, but I could of course be wrong, so would just like to know what has been improved before I part with the cash.

AndyE1976
July 4th, 2010, 07:16
Apparently a lot of people have been waiting for this as their website is struggling with the demand!

I'll pick this up when I get back to the states next week, it's no fun flying on a mouse yoke!

skyhawka4m
July 4th, 2010, 08:31
Looks very nice to me...especially since there are no annoying overly done raised panel lines and rivets. Some of the recent releases from various developers have over done the rivet and panel line looks.

Oh well....I'm still loving FSX now but hope some of the overzealous panel line and rivet makers calm a bit.

Lionheart
July 4th, 2010, 10:08
That is one sharp looking model! Love the chipping on the control sticks. Nice work on the exterior graphics.

That must have been one DIFFICULT model to create on that exotic shape of the fuselage. So many changing curves.

Bill

fsafranek
July 4th, 2010, 10:18
Looks very nice to me...especially since there are no annoying overly done raised panel lines and rivets. Some of the recent releases from various developers have over done the rivet and panel line looks.

Oh well....I'm still loving FSX now but hope some of the overzealous panel line and rivet makers calm a bit.
I agree completely! No external bumps on this on. We did test it but even with 2048 textures the scale was about 3 inches wide for a panel line. That's even three plus too wide for a control surface line on a old bi-plane. There is some bump mapping in the cockpit that gives it more life.

strykerpsg
July 4th, 2010, 10:48
I really want this one too, but as an owner of the AS B-1B, I want to see some feedback before jumping on a graphic update only. It looks very sweet, just want some feedback on incorporated nav systems, autopilot and FDE. It's too bad there isn't some sort of discount for exisiting AS owners of their B-1B or would jump all over it.

Matt

Rezabrya
July 4th, 2010, 11:16
Well, after a quick flight, here are some of my first impressions. The Framerates are excellent. The model (VC and Exterior) looks great. The FDE seems spot on but I obviously haven't flown a B-1 so I wouldn't know. It has a pretty detailed autopilot and some pretty detailed systems. My suggestion is that if you are on the fence, go ahead and buy it. I am glad I did!

Oh and another plus is that since it is through the Flight1 wrapper, you always have the option of returning it if you are unsatisfied.

michael davies
July 4th, 2010, 11:22
I agree completely! No external bumps on this on. We did test it but even with 2048 textures the scale was about 3 inches wide for a panel line. That's even three plus too wide for a control surface line on a old bi-plane. There is some bump mapping in the cockpit that gives it more life.

Conversely I was looking through some A-10 detail shots and you can nearly get your hand through the gaps LOL, know what you mean about panel lines, apart from some basic mesh work the pixel ratio was always high on my decision process at the start of a project. Is 2048 the biggest FSx will accept ?, wonder if one 4096 would work.

Best

Michael

Rezabrya
July 4th, 2010, 12:09
Can someone explain to me the Mach hold? I thought that if I wanted to maintain a .8 mach setting, I would go to that speed and then push the mach hold button and it would automatically adjust throttle to maintain that. Instead, the plane starts slowing down as if I turned the throttle all the way off. Could somebody enlighten me?

peter12213
July 4th, 2010, 12:09
It does looks excellent but I'm going to wait until I hear more reviews!

mal998
July 4th, 2010, 12:35
Can someone explain to me the Mach hold? I thought that if I wanted to maintain a .8 mach setting, I would go to that speed and then push the mach hold button and it would automatically adjust throttle to maintain that. Instead, the plane starts slowing down as if I turned the throttle all the way off. Could somebody enlighten me?

Here's an explanation from the Manual:

5.4.8 MCH - Mach Hold Mode
When selected the system maintains the current existing Mach value. Clicking the display window will allow adjustment to be made.

There is an included manual that explains all system functions and extensive reference card as part of the kneeboard.

Rezabrya
July 4th, 2010, 12:45
That doesn't answer my question though. I understand that it should hold the mach, but it doesn't. My plane slows down as if the throttle was off. What is causing this?

strykerpsg
July 4th, 2010, 12:48
Here's an explanation from the Manual:

5.4.8 MCH - Mach Hold Mode
When selected the system maintains the current existing Mach value. Clicking the display window will allow adjustment to be made.

There is an included manual that explains all system functions and extensive reference card as part of the kneeboard.

Mal, thanks for checking out the thread. You are a former AS develper correct? If so, any info you want to share about some of the modelled systems and differences between the original AS model and this one...? If you're not from the AS team, apologies, I just seem to connect your name with AS.

Matt

Rezabrya
July 4th, 2010, 13:25
I figured it out. Thanks for the help.

fsafranek
July 4th, 2010, 15:17
I figured it out. Thanks for the help.
What was the solution?

Rezabrya
July 4th, 2010, 15:18
I wasn't setting the mach inside the gauge. I was just getting up to the speed I wanted and hitting mach hold. You have to adjust the mach value in the speed gauge.

MenendezDiego
July 4th, 2010, 15:24
I really want this, but $40.00? Really? I can't do it at that price

mal998
July 4th, 2010, 18:35
I wasn't setting the mach inside the gauge. I was just getting up to the speed I wanted and hitting mach hold. You have to adjust the mach value in the speed gauge.

Glad you got it working!

fsafranek
July 4th, 2010, 22:25
To me, it looks very similar to the old FS9 model, but I could of course be wrong, so would just like to know what has been improved before I part with the cash.
Well, it is a B-1B. So they are going to look kinda similar. :icon_lol:

As the painter of both the old FS9 version and this new one let me just say this, any repaints from the old FS9 version will not work on this new one at all -- it is a different model.
:ernae:

Dag
July 5th, 2010, 06:39
No bumps, no buy. And they are not only for panel lines and rivets. Think of all the skin doublers, scabbed-on panels and fibre-glass covers. I agree, the B-1 is probably pretty smooth but bumps can be done very subtle and they bring life to the model.

centuryseries
July 5th, 2010, 09:43
No bumps, no buy. And they are not only for panel lines and rivets. Think of all the skin doublers, scabbed-on panels and fibre-glass covers. I agree, the B-1 is probably pretty smooth but bumps can be done very subtle and they bring life to the model.

Personally, all the Lancers I've ever seen have been immaculately smooth skinned. Nothing like all the rivetted strengthening plates that cover some parts of Stratofortresses and other older types.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Rockwell-B-1B-Lancer/1646643/L/

michael davies
July 5th, 2010, 10:29
Personally, all the Lancers I've ever seen have been immaculately smooth skinned. Nothing like all the rivetted strengthening plates that cover some parts of Stratofortresses and other older types.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Rockwell-B-1B-Lancer/1646643/L/

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/IMG_1955.jpg

nio
July 5th, 2010, 10:53
I'd say that was pretty smooth.

best

nio

centuryseries
July 5th, 2010, 11:06
Looking forward to RIAT, but according to the aircraft list no B-1B's....

Interesting to note two things about your photo Michael, the Reluctant Dragon artwork - sure I saw that aircraft in the Euro one scheme at Mildenhall with the Dragon - seems like so long ago! Do they keep their names indefinately? Also the weathering on the wing leading edges showing the yellow primer?

michael davies
July 5th, 2010, 11:58

Interesting to note two things about your photo Michael, the Reluctant Dragon artwork - sure I saw that aircraft in the Euro one scheme at Mildenhall with the Dragon - seems like so long ago! Do they keep their names indefinately? Also the weathering on the wing leading edges showing the yellow primer?

I'm not sure on aircraft art, there was a stage where all art was banned, then it was relaxed during the Gulf I and then clamped but now seems allowed but toned down, there are some special B-1B artworks around, but by my deductions these are either airframes of high ranking commanders or specials for air shows and such. Name changes do occur, I've heard of F-111 changing names between airframes, I suppose they go with the crew, it was certainly very fluid during WWII, I've been reading about B-29s that had almost a dozen names and if returning state side bare flesh was heavily censored.

That particular airframe is 0103 (note this was the static, the flight one was 0061) so you'd have to check if that was present at Mildenhall or ever painted in Euro one.

Most of my Mildenhall negatives are in a box somewhere, little chance of a cross reference at the moment.

Best

Michael

Addendum, just used my favorite friend Mr Google and turned up this http://www.militaryaircraft.de/pictures/military/aircraft/B-1B/B-1B_AIRFETE2001_027_800.jpg you are indeed correct, 0103 was present at Mildenhall in 2001, but not in Euro one but in dark grey.

I cant remember the last Mildenhall I went to, went to quite a few in the 80s (Bentwaters and Lakenheath too) then missed many years and picked up one of the last, wish I'd kept all my brochures now !.

centuryseries
July 5th, 2010, 12:29
My bad!!

Great nose art that. Glad the US relaxed their rules. I always thought the B-1B looks better in that grey than the Euro One scheme anyway - looks more sinister.

Funny you should say that, I made a special effort fairly recently to 'complete' my collection of air fete calendars lol from 1977 all the way to 2000!! Quite a few variations way back when.

michael davies
July 5th, 2010, 12:55
My bad!!

Yes, shame on you, write out 100 times, "I must remember more inane details of 5 years or more" LOL.

Best

Michael

CodyValkyrie
July 5th, 2010, 13:05
Having been around many "bones" in the USAF, I can tell you that they are indeed very smooth aircraft, which was quite the opposite of most the airframes I worked on. The biggest thing I remember about them however is how LOUD they are! The F-16s were bad enough, but when these babies took off I had to watch small objects on my shelves.

Regarding rules, the USAF in general regards most photography even if unclassified as INFOSEC (information security). This is why if you stand outside a base and snap pictures, the Security Police may give you a visit. It's not that what you are photographing is classified, it's that collectively, information over a period of time may provide classified information or information they do not want people to know. And yes, commanders typically get all the fancy photoshoots of their aircraft. I remember the F-16 commander at Eielson had his plane under a hanger with a HUGE American flag and the thing was so clean you could eat off of it, which is quite the opposite of most F-16s I encountered which were dirty as sin. Don't get me started on the A-10s.

strykerpsg
July 5th, 2010, 13:14
It's about Ģ26.30, which to me, is starting to near the limit of what I'd pay for a single aircraft. And anything above Ģ30 would have to be very high quality.

Tweek, I have the FSX AS variant(although probably an FS9 portover) and must say, after purchasing the Virtavia model today, I don't see a big difference in aircraft. Admittedly, the cockpit looks a bit more updated, but it's a VC only and just not enough to tickle my fancy. The exterior does seem to be updated too, but just not enough to warrant the amount. Luckily Flight1 offers refunds within 30 days, my first ever.

As an addendum, I am certain much was put into this aircraft, but just feel the price is a bit much for not enough bang for me, other's opinions will widely vary I am certain. I would rather save up for their upcoming C-17. I would re-consider if there was an upgrade offer from the AS model, but since they are different entities, feel certain that will not happen.

Matt

centuryseries
July 5th, 2010, 13:45
Tweek, I have the FSX AS variant(although probably an FS9 portover) and must say, after purchasing the Virtavia model today, I don't see a big difference in aircraft. Admittedly, the cockpit looks a bit more updated, but it's a VC only and just not enough to tickle my fancy. The exterior does seem to be updated too, but just not enough to warrant the amount. Luckily Flight1 offers refunds within 30 days, my first ever.

As an addendum, I am certain much was put into this aircraft, but just feel the price is a bit much for not enough bang for me, other's opinions will widely vary I am certain. I would rather save up for their upcoming C-17. I would re-consider if there was an upgrade offer from the AS model, but since they are different entities, feel certain that will not happen.

Matt

Matt don't forget the original FS9 B-1B was added to the Alphasim shop almost 5 years ago and as such is very much more basic than this aircraft. If you haven't I'd suggest reading the manual to see what the changes are before you decide on a refund.

I'd also point out purely from a personal viewpoint that the reason you don't see much of a difference is because the original model was excellent. I mean you not going to get a change of the aircrafts exterior shape if the shape is right already?!! Granted the VC is so much better than the original, but the enhancements IMHO are more than skin deep.

Just my 2c.

Tweek
July 5th, 2010, 13:46
Thanks for the honest opinion. I'd like to have it, but it's one of those borderline aircraft that I'd enjoy a few flights in then probably rarely touch it, afterwards. I'm not the biggest fan of heavies, so I can't see me getting my money's worth.

The upcoming Jaguar on the other hand... :jump:

strykerpsg
July 5th, 2010, 13:57
Matt don't forget the original FS9 B-1B was added to the Alphasim shop almost 5 years ago and as such is very much more basic than this aircraft. If you haven't I'd suggest reading the manual to see what the changes are before you decide on a refund.

I'd also point out purely from a personal viewpoint that the reason you don't see much of a difference is because the original model was excellent. I mean you not going to get a change of the aircrafts exterior shape if the shape is right already?!! Granted the VC is so much better than the original, but the enhancements IMHO are more than skin deep.

Just my 2c.
Century, you're right. I will look through the manual this week and see if it still keeps my attention. I do enjoy the AS B-1B in FSX, just can't seem to ever get rid of the sharksmouth on the intake, regardless of whose skin I use. Anyway, will take them a few days to reply, I feel certain. For the record, it is a looker, but as you pointed out, so was the AS portover into FSX.

Matt

fsafranek
July 5th, 2010, 16:45

That would have been a long time ago. Just before SAC was disolved repaints starting being done in the overall "Gunship Gray". That was the early 1990's. There were a lot though that kept their "B-1B Strategic" camo scheme for quite a few years.

Aircraft are typically named by the crew chief and if he's up to the task he also does the artwork. Currently on B-1B's they are allowed a 3ft square area for the noseart. And as quickly as the crew chief can change so can the aircraft name. That 86-0103 in Michael's image was originally named "Huntress" while at Ellsworth (delivered in 1987). When it transferred to Dyess in 1991 it was renamed "Lovey Lady". Eventually it was renamed "The Reluctant Dragon".

Tracking B-1B's is a lot like tracking the F-106, another aircraft that was around for a long time and in limited numbers. There were only so many serial numbers and they moved from unit to unit over the years. Great fun if you like researching.

Shane Olguin
July 6th, 2010, 08:56
Regarding rules, the USAF in general regards most photography even if unclassified as INFOSEC (information security). This is why if you stand outside a base and snap pictures, the Security Police may give you a visit. It's not that what you are photographing is classified, it's that collectively, information over a period of time may provide classified information or information they do not want people to know. And yes, commanders typically get all the fancy photoshoots of their aircraft. I remember the F-16 commander at Eielson had his plane under a hanger with a HUGE American flag and the thing was so clean you could eat off of it, which is quite the opposite of most F-16s I encountered which were dirty as sin. Don't get me started on the A-10s.

Ugh... don't remind me about INFOSEC right now. My yearly death-by-CBT INFOSEC is coming due here in a month or so.

MenendezDiego
July 7th, 2010, 21:30
Purchased the B-1B and am very happy

An-225
July 8th, 2010, 18:45
Does this rendition of the Lancer have terrain-following radar?

CodyValkyrie
July 8th, 2010, 18:56
Ugh... don't remind me about INFOSEC right now. My yearly death-by-CBT INFOSEC is coming due here in a month or so.

LOL! I have an old kevlar helmet that was scribed on by the guys I worked with. It reads "Born to MOPP". Have faith brother! I don't envy you... but I've been there.

strykerpsg
July 9th, 2010, 05:36
Does this rendition of the Lancer have terrain-following radar?

Ummm, no. Funny though, when you select the TFR controls, it just displays a change to the Artificial Horizon on the MFD. If they had modelled something along the lines of TFR, it would have been a keeper for me. Honestly though, I think TFR would be tough to model.

vora
July 9th, 2010, 05:59
... Honestly though, I think TFR would be tough to model.

Aerosoft made an autohover gauge for their Seahawk/JayhawkX ... was quite a frame killer IIRC.
A TFR would be even more so I suspect.

centuryseries
July 9th, 2010, 10:54
TFR without using a very unrealistic slew mode would be a mean feat of programming.

VCN-1
July 9th, 2010, 12:02
There is a TFR for the AlphaSim F-111 that was added by a third party IIRC.

Maybe it can be adapted to the B-1B.

VCN-1

strykerpsg
July 9th, 2010, 12:45
There is a TFR for the AlphaSim F-111 that was added by a third party IIRC.

Maybe it can be adapted to the B-1B.

VCN-1
Hmmm, would re-generate my interest in her. It's tight looking bird, but just not enough ooomph for me to replace my AS Bone.

MenendezDiego
July 9th, 2010, 13:25
This is one of the first payware aircraft (excluding CS 767 sort of stuff), that actually flies the ILS approach into Edwards AFB. Usually aircraft will track the localizer, than drift right of the runway. Not so with the B-1B...this puppy went right down the throat of the approach. I couldn't be happier.

And remember guys, it's only version 1.0 :)

Shane Olguin
July 10th, 2010, 07:52
This is one of the first payware aircraft (excluding CS 767 sort of stuff), that actually flies the ILS approach into Edwards AFB. Usually aircraft will track the localizer, than drift right of the runway. Not so with the B-1B...this puppy went right down the throat of the approach. I couldn't be happier.

And remember guys, it's only version 1.0 :)

You're welcome!

fsafranek
July 11th, 2010, 12:28
Honestly though, I think TFR would be tough to model.
Can someone post a photo from a real B-1B of the Terrain Following mode
display on the green VSD? Maybe something can be done if it is that different
from what was modeled?

centuryseries
July 18th, 2010, 07:46
Sadly the B-1B (and A-10 for that matter) were notably missing from RIAT 2010 this year.

Looks like I'll have to get my kicks from this virtual Lancer instead!

Rattler
July 18th, 2010, 15:29
I am Thinking about Buying this bird, Has anyone had any problems with it? I would be greatful for any feedback Anyone could give. Thanks

fsafranek
July 20th, 2010, 09:49
I am Thinking about Buying this bird, Has anyone had any problems with it? I would be greatful for any feedback Anyone could give. Thanks
On the other side of the coin if you have any questions about the model's features or the systems please don't hesitate to ask. I've been involved with the project since the beginning and can answer your questions.

Rattler
July 20th, 2010, 10:12
On the other side of the coin if you have any questions about the model's features or the systems please don't hesitate to ask. I've been involved with the project since the beginning and can answer your questions.

I have done some research and I think Im sold, Going to the Site Now!!!!!:jump::jump::jump:

Rattler
July 20th, 2010, 10:42
Just Purchased the New B-1B, Will let ya Know how it goes!!:salute::salute::salute:

Rattler
July 20th, 2010, 15:10
I would like to keep this out of the Public Eye, If you could PM me when you have Time, I have some Questions Sir?

TY

dvj
September 3rd, 2010, 20:43
Is there a way to turn down the green interior lighting? too bright for night flight. could be about 50% dimmer IMO.

thx for a wonderful model otherwise.

d

centuryseries
September 4th, 2010, 03:31
Should be possible to edit either the fx file for VC lighting or simply move the VC lighting backwards by changing 64.50 to maybe 60, or less.

light.4 = 4, 64.50, 0.0, 4.2, fx_virtav_B1B_vclight_Gr

Hope that helps

dvj
September 4th, 2010, 07:57
That worked! Big thanks!

centuryseries
September 4th, 2010, 08:51
That worked! Big thanks!

No worries, it's a brute of an aircraft! :wiggle:

merida72
November 26th, 2010, 13:52
which is the latest version?

There is a review somewhere?

there is a repaint kit?

Thanks in advance

hey_moe
November 26th, 2010, 14:35
I was looking at the screen shots at there site....looks mighty fine to me...why don't you guys pull together and gets her for me...lol...Mike

fsafranek
November 28th, 2010, 11:19
which is the latest version?

There is a review somewhere?

there is a repaint kit?

Thanks in advance
The Virtavia FSX (http://www.virtavia.com/?page_id=176) version is the latest. There is a two-page review in the Nov-Dec issue of PC Pilot. 85 points out of 100. Not sure if a PDF version of the article was made to point you at. And yes, there is a repaint kit included.