PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a Windows 7 PC

rohan
July 4th, 2010, 01:42
Recently, I've been thinking about buying a new PC, and a thought occurred to me about installing Win7. How easy is it to move the Win7 system drive from the old PC to the new one ?

By that, I mean shut down the old PC, physically move the drive to the new one and just reboot it. Given that the old PC has one type of motherboard and processor (say an 1156 socket) and the new one has a different type (say a 1366 socket), would Win7 work like that ? Or are there elements of the Win7 install that are keyed to the specific processor / motherboard / BIOS of the system on which it was installed ?

I have my doubts whether this would work if the move was from an AMD processor to an Intel one (or vice versa), but I couldn't work out whether it would work if the move was from 1156 to 1366.

Similarly, what is the situation with the "registry" ? I believe that this contains entries specific to the hardware platform on which it was installed which prevent a registry file from simply being copied over to a new platform.

The reason for these questions stems from what I think I know about system-builders. As I understand it, they have cloning software which allows them to "copy" an install from their set of builds on to a newly built system, then make a few "simple" tweaks (like changing the network MAC address) and they have a complete ready-to-test system.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
regards,
Ro

Z-DarthVader
July 4th, 2010, 02:20
I think just moving the disk over from the old to the new is like a recipe for disaster mate.

Always better to start afresh, a clean install. Your new rig will love you for it.

extrudinator
July 4th, 2010, 03:41
I've done this type of thing, but it isn't easy. Windows 7 will not allow you to just move the disk to a new system without getting permission from Microsoft, either via the internet or calling them up. So there's that to deal with. It's not too difficult to explain to the Indian guy that you upgraded your computer and want to transfer the data. This explanation was accepted when I gave it.

The compatibility issues are mostly related to the drivers for the motherboard. Fortunately, Windows may actually be able to sort out what is needed and what is not, but it's not a sure thing. One little mix up and you have quite a mess.

I once caused a system to go from perfect operation to complete failure (rebooting over and over again) by replacing the FAN on the processor. I put the old fan back on--and the problem went away. Frankly, when I think about how complex a PC really is, it's a wonder they work at all. :icon_lol:

rohan
July 4th, 2010, 06:21
Thanks for the input - I'd totally forgotten about "registration" with M$, and I wasn't sure whether there were things like "motherboard drivers" or where they might live if they existed. On to plan B then ...

Having just read Javis' comments about system support in his Alienware thread and the post above about a simple fan change, I'm left wondering whether it's better to buy (no experience with my potential suppliers) or to build it myself (no experience of building a complete system) !!! LOL.

Thanks again,
Ro

txnetcop
July 4th, 2010, 06:41
Done it several times it was only an issue once with some the usb interface and one registry issue but quickly resolved with Windows fixit now available for download:

fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

You will have to clear the transfer with your Microsoft tech rep first and then after you get you key go to the above url if there are any problems. Usually Win7 sorts it out without help
Ted

rohan
July 4th, 2010, 09:00
Ted,
I didn't know that service existed. I'm not sure I like the idea of having the details of all my PCs stored in an M$ database, and I don't really trust these automated tools / wizards. But if you're happy using it, then I guess I'll keep a note of it in case I need it some time in the future,
thanks and regards,
Ro

txnetcop
July 4th, 2010, 10:25
I believe it offers you the choice of sharing or not, however I have found it to be a handy tool for a beta.