PDA

View Full Version : Calling the USN Cold War Vets

grumpos
July 3rd, 2010, 11:35
A fascinating documentary over at the avsim.rus site. Its all in Russian but the film clips need no explanation. Be warned, some of them are a bit hairy:

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/documentary-movies-96/the-battle-over-the-ocean-30793.html?action=viewonline

TARPSBird
July 3rd, 2010, 17:01
Interesting video. If the Russian-language narrative suggested there was US foul play involved during the May 1968 crash of the Tu-16 Badger near USS Essex, that's bogus. The Badgers were making their recon passes in a totally permissive environment, Essex had no fighters or attack aircraft embarked. The Badger driver just did a little too much show-boating and hit the water. A few minutes further into the vid the narrator mentions an alleged mid-air collision in 1972 involving a USS John F. Kennedy F-4 and a Tu-16 Badger. An obviously fake reenactment shows the F-4 moving in dangerously close under the Badger's starboard wing. I don't know anything about that incident, so maybe they had a legit complaint. However I can say from personal observation that Russian aircraft (and ships) have often engaged in intentional aggressive acts of harrassment. I don't have any respect for a ship's captain or aircraft commander who would allow their crews to be put in danger doing the stupid sh*t that I've seen the Russians do.

Willy
July 3rd, 2010, 17:38
Interesting video. If the Russian-language narrative suggested there was US foul play involved during the May 1968 crash of the Tu-16 Badger near USS Essex, that's bogus. The Badgers were making their recon passes in a totally permissive environment, Essex had no fighters or attack aircraft embarked. The Badger driver just did a little too much show-boating and hit the water. A few minutes further into the vid the narrator mentions an alleged mid-air collision in 1972 involving a USS John F. Kennedy F-4 and a Tu-16 Badger. An obviously fake reenactment shows the F-4 moving in dangerously close under the Badger's starboard wing. I don't know anything about that incident, so maybe they had a legit complaint. However I can say from personal observation that Russian aircraft (and ships) have often engaged in intentional aggressive acts of harrassment. I don't have any respect for a ship's captain or aircraft commander who would allow their crews to be put in danger doing the stupid sh*t that I've seen the Russians do.

Agreed. Their sub drivers were very aggressive too.