PDA

View Full Version : OT: USB Ports

Pepere
July 3rd, 2010, 05:26
Anyone know how to solve a problem I have with USB Devices. I have a couple of
devices that will not load under USB 2.. They work, except slower, under USB 1
but will not load any longer under #2? Both did load at one time under #2 but now
don't. One is a external Hard Drive, which runs way slower now and the other is a
USB 7 port device.. Anyone got any ideas I can try. thanks.

David

Dangerousdave26
July 3rd, 2010, 07:00
What other USB devices do you have plugged in?

Here is how USB was explained to me a few months ago.

Lets say you have three ports on the motherboard located at the back of the PC. These ports are all basically connected. They come from the same single port on the motherboard. If you plug a USB 1.0 device into a USB 2.0 port it will force all other devices connected on that port to run at USB 1.0.

Disconnect all other USB devices and plug in the one that should run at 2.0 and see if it loads at 2.0.

I trust the person who told me this but I have never tried to confirm this information.

Pepere
July 3rd, 2010, 08:23
Very Interesting. I have many USB 1 ports hooked up. Will have to see what will give if I disconnect all the #1. But I do have other devices on #2 that read it as such. But will give it a try later today. thanks.

David

Pepere
July 3rd, 2010, 18:20
Thanks a bunch... You hit it right on. I removed all my USB 1 Ports and bingo - everything is loading into USB #2 like a champ. That is one good bit of advice. One USB #1 port and it screws all the rest up! Who would ever think that?

Thanks again.

David