PDA

View Full Version : Any shortwave radio enthusiasts here?

Navy Chief
July 2nd, 2010, 13:36
Many, many years ago, I had an old Hallicrafter's WW2 era shortwave radio. I miss being able to turn on that old tube-style receiver, and pick up broadcasts from all over the world. The impersonal nature of the Internet will never replace that.

I am in the market to find another old shortwave. Doesn't need to be a Hallicrafter's, I suppose, but I sure liked that one. It was a SX-28. Not as good a shape as the one pictured. But that was the model.

If anyone can offer advice? Or pehaps have one to sell? Or know someone who does?

Thanks!

NC

Tako_Kichi
July 2nd, 2010, 14:35
I was a licenced Ham Radio operator in the UK and also gained my qualifications here in Canada after I emigrated. For many years I used a 'Bearcat' shortwave receiver just for listening purposes until I finally traded it with a buddy for a HF radio transceiver.

While in the UK I had the chance to borrow a shortwave receiver that came out of a WWII Lancaster bomber. It was a huge piece of kit and kept the room warm at night with all those valves (tubes) but it was great fun to use even though I could only listen with it.

As to new gear there are lots of shortwave radios available these days from portable Russian built kit to very expensive, all singing and dancing, Japanese gear from the Big 3 Ham Radio manufacturers. I guess it depends on how much you want to pay and how many 'features' you want on a receiver.

Navy Chief
July 2nd, 2010, 14:40
I am really not knowledgeable about having too many knobs/gauges to monitor, etc... I basically just want to listen to shortwave stations.

BUT! I sure do like the old tube style units.... I would prefer that to a modern day type.

I was thinking no more than about $150 to spend on one.

NC

Tako_Kichi
July 2nd, 2010, 16:03
I just checked Ebay for you and there are a lot of very reasonably priced radios for sale at the moment.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=shortwave+radio&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Everything from old tube radios to modern portables.

robert41
July 2nd, 2010, 18:00
Hey NC, a former radio nut about 10-15 years ago. I had several radios, new and old, some bought, some homebuilt, covering from longwave to microwave. Old tube radios were great to work with. One of my fav was an old 1940's Philco shortwave/am receiver. Many hours listening to broadcasts all over the world. Lost interest in radio in the last few years. Sold most of my stuff except for one newer receiver. Maybe Ill get back into radio again.