PDA

View Full Version : New Gloster Gladiator flies !!!

Francois
July 2nd, 2010, 09:52
Alright, some FSAddon Publishing news then.....

It has been too hot and sticky to post forum messages today, but here's a heads0up on our latest aircraft to leave the hangar: Simon Smeiman's wonderful Gloster Gladiator !

You can find it in our - also new - own web store: http://silvercloud-store.com/

Now, back to my fan and ice water........

dswo
July 2nd, 2010, 10:18
Looking good, Francois, and congratulations on the new store. Query: on p. 12 of the manual, it says, "We made some gauge needles as well as the center panel to vibrate slightly while the engine is running." Does this mean the gauges are 3D, like the RealAir Spit, Vertigo Hellcat, or Classics Hangar Fw-190?

Francois
July 2nd, 2010, 10:22
To tell you the trruth, my entire desk vibrates when running FSX, so I wouldn't know. I think Simon has to answer that for us .... *grin*

Lewis-A2A
July 2nd, 2010, 10:33
Great, love the Portugese paint!

Cleartheprop
July 2nd, 2010, 11:28
Many new releases lately! This one is my next must-have airplane. thanks! :ernae:

wilycoyote4
July 2nd, 2010, 12:03
great new store and the Supercub X version 2 was released recently as well:ernae::guinness::medals::icon29:

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 12:06
Just bought it but the download stops at 15mb thinking it is complete - tried 3 times.

Now trying to contact FSAddon

IanP
July 2nd, 2010, 12:09
I've had that problem a few times, gajit - Francois' site is one of those I have real problems with, regardless of whether I use IE or Firefox.

My answer was a trial version of GetRight which, after a major problem downloading a just-less-than-a-gig file from another site, I registered as well.

I wish there was a way of telling what sites I was and wasn't liable to have problems with in advance!

Ian P.

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 12:14
Thanks Ian for your advice.

I tried with Getright but Getright came up with "file does not exist on this server"

I really annoys me as a frequent buyer of downloads when you have so much hassle from one or two producers yet others no probs ever with others.

Now the store had blocked access saying that ihave exceeded 10 downloads - bleeping cheek - I have not had one complete one.

jankees
July 2nd, 2010, 12:31
I'm having trouble downloading too...

edit: got it on the 5th try! perseverance pays off, well, in my case anyway..

a few shots:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/FX3575.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/FX3580.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/FX3589.jpg

it certainly looks very nice! and you can fly with the cockpit open, and there's a 'guns firing' effect.

I do feel it's a bit too quiet in the cockpit though, and there's a vibration of the tail that I'm not sure of?

Still, my favorite doubledecker of the moment...

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 12:32
If Ian is correct and we cant use IE - that is just plain daft

IanP
July 2nd, 2010, 12:35
I've had problems with both IE (32bit and 64bit) and Firefox, gajit - it's not browser specific, but I also know a lot of people who have had no problems at all downloading large files from the same sites I have major problems with.

"Bizarre", I think sums it up. Or "bl***y computers".

Ian P.

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 13:58
Wow Jankees - that looks great. I hope one day i will get it once they reset my downloads.

I have still not had any reply on the official site but i guess that will be the time difference.

Francois
July 2nd, 2010, 14:57
I replied now Gareth. Sorry for the inconvenience. As Ian already said, some people seem to have problems with the servers from Siteground in the US (where I have all my sites hosted), and most have no problems.

Tonight was Nina's birthday party, hence the lapse in replies for a few hours ;-) 'She who must be Obeyed' always comes first.

I have increased your number of downloads (want to take that limit off altogether actually, but haven't figured out how to do that yet). I have also uploaded the file to another server... maybe that one runs better for ya.

Will send you another e-mails.

Webshops are new to me and not the easiest of things to cope with, I can tell you.

Begging for some patience ! Thank you !

Kind regards,
Francois

Pips
July 2nd, 2010, 17:31
Jankees, may I ask what the roll rate is like for the Gladiator?

I have the Incarus Gold Gladiator and it's roll rate is quite unrealistic - it's rate would rival the Fw190. It put me off so much I consigned it to the 'never to be flown again' folder.

How does this model handle?

Rich
July 2nd, 2010, 18:21
jankees, you said

"I do feel it's a bit too quiet in the cockpit though, and there's a vibration of the tail that I'm not sure of?"

Do you have a force feedback stick ?? can you see elevator flutter in outside view ??

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 21:38
Hi Francois

I dont know what to type first - my thanks for your superb aftersales service or my thanks for a superb product.

This aircraft has amazing detail - so much so that I spent over 30 mins on the ground just enjoying the way it looks.

I sincerely hope that you have an awardwinning best seller with this one.

My thanks X2 again

Regards

GJ

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 22:21
Amazing detail, excellent frame rates, great sounding and a realistic "feel" to the flight dynamics.
I agree that the engine noise in the VC is perhaps a bit quite but not so bad. Love the firing guns and the vibrating instrument panel section.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/g4.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/g3.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/g2.jpg

Francois
July 2nd, 2010, 22:58
Glad we got that sorted GJ :jump:

I'll be spending my Saturday now trying to figure out this server and what can be done to solve the download issues ..... :-)

Have a great weekend !

jankees
July 2nd, 2010, 23:06
Do you have a force feedback stick ?? can you see elevator flutter in outside view ??

No to both of them.
It's more in the outside view, where the tail seems to be vibrating/stuttering, I don't know exactly how to describe it. Could be my comp, I'll continue flying...I'm loving it!

eehm, Francois, any chance of a paintkit?

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 23:15
No to both of them.
It's more in the outside view, where the tail seems to be vibrating/stuttering, I don't know exactly how to describe it. Could be my comp, I'll continue flying...I'm loving it!

eehm, Francois, any chance of a paintkit?

Hi

No probs with mine im pleased to say.

Yes - a paintkit would definately be apprechiated.

Francois
July 2nd, 2010, 23:24
I've e-mailed Simon to ask for a paintkit already, but he's very busy with his Hudson methinks. I'll let you know as soon as we make progress ! :-)

gajit
July 2nd, 2010, 23:35
Its difficult to capture but it looks great in twilight

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/g5.jpg

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 00:12
Nice !!!

Rich
July 3rd, 2010, 01:31
Francois, after 4 attempts to download all of which resulted in incomplete zips that could not be opened hopefully it will be sorted soon.

These were with IE and Firefox none worked, freeware not so bad nothing lost not good for payware of which I have very little, I elected to pay using my credit card but somewhere along the line Paypall became involved

I hate Paypall

SpaceWeevil
July 3rd, 2010, 01:44
Same, tried 3 browsers and GetRight ('This server does not support resume'). Looks like Francois is on it, I'll just drop back into real life for a bit.

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 02:30
If downloads fail, please send me a note through the Contact From on the shop's site, and I'll provide you with another download link... so far that one worked for everybody.

(Am trying to link the store to that other server, but that doesn't appear to be so easy.... grrrr.... I love FS, HATE computers ! :kilroy: ).

Cleartheprop
July 3rd, 2010, 02:54
It took me five attempts but the fifth download was a success! It was certainely worth keeping on trying ! Thanks for this nice looking airplane! :ernae:
http://www.cleartheprop.com/images/gladiator/Image1800.jpg
http://www.cleartheprop.com/images/gladiator/Image4.jpg

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 02:59
Yay! So it DOES work........ at times :-)

This of course confuses the he.. out of me.... but am glad it works for some of you at least ;-)

Alright, back to 'cart support forums' reading....

SADT
July 3rd, 2010, 03:05
Hi Francois,

You say Simon is working on a Lockheed Hudson?:jump::jump::jump::ernae::ernae:
2 questions:
1. Any W.I.P.s?
2. Will it also come with a civilian Lockheed Lodestar variant? Please....

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 03:38
Hi Craig,

very early stages yet. But our first goal is to make a companion to the Lysander. The Hudson was also used for SOE mission in WW2.

We'll see what we can come up with ;-)

Rich
July 3rd, 2010, 03:49
Still no go, not been able to download any thing that will work. it may be time of day but I am not prepared to mess around

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 03:51
Weird. So far the 'alternate file' has worked for everybody....
Please try again a bit later ? I don't have any more files than these ... yet

SpaceWeevil
July 3rd, 2010, 04:05
A thing of beauty! Looks wonderful, flies convincingly and sounds magnificent. I agree the VC sound is a bit quiet, maybe it's to simulate wearing ear defenders? The drag on those flaps is remarkable - I'm not used to them on biplanes, and it's easy to get too slow on finals and fall out of the sky. Watch your speed and she's sweet.

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 04:34
Good!

So that only leaves one customer without the files still.....

Am upgrading the shop's server account as we speak !

IanP
July 3rd, 2010, 05:37
I had more reasons than many for wanting Francois to release this one, although more exactly it's only one reason: K7985, which seems to be appearing in most peoples' screenshots, with the blue and yellow markings.

Apart from being the livery applied to Shuttleworth's Gladiator (I'm sure many people already know my bias towards that particular collection), the livery belongs to 73 Squadron, who flew the Gladiator from initially RAF Debden in Essex, then moving to some place called RAF Digby in Lincolnshire late in 1937, before converting to Hurricanes early in 1938.

I had an AI file sitting waiting, it just needed populating. :d

11839 11838

Roger
July 3rd, 2010, 06:10
Oh dear the site is down.

MarkH
July 3rd, 2010, 06:20
Shuttleworth's Gladiator (I'm sure many people already know my bias towards that particular collection)
Hello Ian, will you be there tomorrow? Hoping to see a B17 in the air, as well as the gladiator, of course :)

This new FSA Gladiator took me completely by surprise, and I'm going to bag it tonight once the new Orbx stuff and all the PNW updates have finished downloading! After the disappointment of the 'other' Gladiator I have to say a glance through the manual for this one suggests a whole different beast...

Roger
July 3rd, 2010, 07:35
Well the site is back up now after maintenance and I got the Glad downloaded 1st try!

I like the Icarus version for the War worn and weary look and this Fs Add-on version for a clean and crisp look. Simon has done a great job!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/fsglad-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/fsglad-2.jpg

gajit
July 3rd, 2010, 07:49
Good screens Roger :ernae:

jmig
July 3rd, 2010, 07:58
Francois! I love the new avatar. You look like a "real" aviator. ;)

Off to buy the new plane.
Oops! It is closed.

jankees
July 3rd, 2010, 08:37
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/FX3706.jpg

Txmmy83
July 3rd, 2010, 09:04
it is released at Simmarket Too :)

grr that shots are tempting lets see how long I can resist getting this one but I personally think not too long ;)

BR
Tom

robcap
July 3rd, 2010, 09:38
Hello Ian, will you be there tomorrow? Hoping to see a B17 in the air, as well as the gladiator, of course :)
Are you going again??!! Have a nice day. Let's hope all planes can make their apperence.
Th gladiator will fly for sure.

Francois, that plane looks great!

Cheers, Rob

MarkH
July 3rd, 2010, 09:46
Are you going again??!! Have a nice day. Let's hope all planes can make their apperence.
Hey Rob, yeah it looks that way :) I skipped the June 19th evening show as the weather wasn't so hot, but tomorrow looks pretty good and there's gonna be some nice old biplanes visiting. Oh, and that Dakota's on the list again. Sorry!

IanP
July 3rd, 2010, 11:47
We're not, unfortunately. We were hoping to head down this weekend, but Mrs. P is suffering too much from impending motherdom and I've got too much to do, so it doesn't look like we'll make it.

It would be kind of nice to make at least one Shuttleworth display this year (the only one we've actually made was the classic vehicle event, where we met up with Francois, incidentally!), but I guess I'll just have to wait for Simon to build their entire collection at the moment and fly the displays myself.

Hey, Francois! When are you getting Simon doing the Bristol Boxkite, anyway? ;)

Ian P.

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 11:53
Don't get me started !! :mixedsmi:

The remainder of the year we'll be in France and the US, so any new projects will be picked up there I reckon ;-)

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 12:00
Francois! I love the new avatar. You look like a "real" aviator. ;)

Off to buy the new plane.
Oops! It is closed.

LOL, thanks !! It was taken last year at Goodwood's Revival, sitting in my friend's Nanchang !

He took me up for imaginary dogfighting the next day. THAT was fun !!!! We scared a lot of cows !

huub vink
July 3rd, 2010, 12:24
Great shots guys, keep them coming!

Huub

SADT
July 3rd, 2010, 14:08
Hi Francois,

Thanks W.I.P.s, they look great even now! Just lop off the turret and nose guns, seal in the forward windows in the nose, add a bag door and hey presto - we have a Lockheed Lodestar!

Rich
July 3rd, 2010, 17:17
Francois, many thanks I finally have it after attempt number 7, had a quick test flight in the Sea Glad and ended up on the nose after catching the arrester wire so will adjust the tail hook to stop that.

Francois
July 3rd, 2010, 23:42
Hi Rich, glad it worked now. I am still fiddling with server settings after I have rented a larger and more powerful server already. We'll get there...... eventually :-)

Thanks for your patience and perseverance ! :-)

dswo
July 4th, 2010, 17:54
Looking good, Francois, and congratulations on the new store. Query: on p. 12 [should read 13] of the manual, it says, "We made some gauge needles as well as the center panel to vibrate slightly while the engine is running." Does this mean the gauges are 3D, like the RealAir Spit, Vertigo Hellcat, or Classics Hangar Fw-190?

In case anyone has the same question, p. 12 of the manual says, "All the gauges in the Main Panel are 3-D. Most of the gauge faces were made from photos of the real aircraft at Shuttleworth." I missed that on the first read through.

jetstreamsky
July 4th, 2010, 20:10
Nice flyer, except the rudder response is inadequate for such a large appendage on a tail dragger.

Francois
July 4th, 2010, 23:04
I sat in it, but they wouldn't let me fly it, so I cannot truthfully reply ;-)

Francois
July 4th, 2010, 23:04
In case anyone has the same question, p. 12 of the manual says, "All the gauges in the Main Panel are 3-D. Most of the gauge faces were made from photos of the real aircraft at Shuttleworth." I missed that on the first read through.

Thanks David, you're smarter than I am ..... :salute:

raptor19
July 5th, 2010, 11:01
Very nice Francois and it flies well too! :ernae:

Francois
July 5th, 2010, 11:27
Thank you !!:wavey:

icarus
July 5th, 2010, 11:55
have the Incarus Gold Gladiator and it's roll rate is quite unrealistic

MarkH

After the disappointment of the 'other' Gladiator

bad others our customers think it different as it received 5 stars reviews and tons of sales...good luck with your gladiator and "some" customers

Francois
July 5th, 2010, 12:08
Uh ??

Francois
July 8th, 2010, 11:08
Our Gladiator is now available from the Aerosoft shop too now, and we'll soon have a Fligt1 wrapper version available from the special page on our webshop.

We're very happy with sales AND reactions so far ! Thanks everybody !!

gajit
July 8th, 2010, 13:41
You deserve it - im still delighted with the product. Hope that we do get a paint kit.

dvj
July 8th, 2010, 16:55
I too am experiencing the vibrating tail section at all but approach speeds. Otherwise nice addition to FSX and great for wallpapers!

Francois
July 8th, 2010, 22:39
I contacted Simon on the paintkit, but he only has sporadic Internet access (and lives in the boonies in South Africa)...

Maybe the tail is linked to the instruments somehow? Those are supposed to vibrate... :-) I'll ask.

CodyValkyrie
July 9th, 2010, 01:33
Congrats on your newfound success Francois! Having Aerosoft and Flight1 in your corner is always a safe bet. I hope your sales increase tenfold mate.

Francois
July 9th, 2010, 04:17
Thanks Cody. The Flight1 wrapper we already used, but Aerosoft is new. :-) And so is our own shop.

bushpilot
July 9th, 2010, 04:30
Judging by the screenies Simon is really fast evolving developer. I think he's mastering the 3D-gauge technology really well.

Too bad I've currently banned myself from purchasing any addons since my new hobby (scuba-diving) is taking all of my money lol, but this is going to my short purchase list.

I think this plane screams for Finnish AF Winter War era paint(s).

http://www.winterwar.com/images/planeprofiles/f8%20gladiator.jpg

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircraft/gloster_gladiator/Gladiator_Mk2_Finland.png

dvj
July 9th, 2010, 07:32
I contacted Simon on the paintkit, but he only has sporadic Internet access (and lives in the boonies in South Africa)...

Maybe the tail is linked to the instruments somehow? Those are supposed to vibrate... :-) I'll ask.

My instruments don't vibrate but the tail does. I'm running Vista 64bit

Francois
July 9th, 2010, 07:56
Your sure you're not flying backwards ? :)

Running Vista 64 too and haven't noticed it... will do some more testing. Haven't heard from Simon on this particular issue yet... will ask again :-)

dvj
July 9th, 2010, 10:05
Your sure you're not flying backwards ? :)

Running Vista 64 too and haven't noticed it... will do some more testing. Haven't heard from Simon on this particular issue yet... will ask again :-)

Ok, so I finally noticed the vibrating instruments. The tail vibration goes away with full flaps and throttle down. BTW, I changed out the native sound with that of the Aircraft Factory Corsair sound files. Huge improvement in the enjoyment of this aircraft. Bold radial sound effects at idol and nice loud pit at full power without being too much out of the Gladiator's character. :applause:

Francois
July 9th, 2010, 10:28
Hi dvj, just made another flight with the Glad and on my PC I can't reproduce any vibrating tail parts :-(

What are your full machine specs and did you make any other 'modifications' maybe? I am puzzled....

Snave
July 9th, 2010, 15:23
Hi dvj, just made another flight with the Glad and on my PC I can't reproduce any vibrating tail parts :-(

What are your full machine specs and did you make any other 'modifications' maybe? I am puzzled....

I don't have this aircraft, but during beta testing for something else the same problem came up and turned out to be that the animations slider wasn't set far right in the FSX menu settings.

Could that be it?

Francois
July 9th, 2010, 22:23
Could be Simon, mine is set to maximum, that's for sure.

dvj
July 10th, 2010, 10:31

Nothing special. Intel core i7-920, Nvidia GTX 260 gfx. Vista 64. 16gb ddr3 memory.

FSX SP2

Never seen this before with any other aircraft.

dvj
July 11th, 2010, 17:00

Francois
July 12th, 2010, 13:03
Maybe you have too much memory..... can there be such a thing as too much of anything in computing????

Seriously, I have no idea what it could be. Simon does see it, neither do I (and am running Vista 64 on a GTX 260 as well..

The trouble is that if we cannot reproduce it, it is also very hard to find a cure for.... :-(

propjob
July 13th, 2010, 00:03
What else can I say? Your comments make the head scratching and miserable times because things don't work out the way you want it to the past 17 months so much more worthwhile!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
A paintkit for the Gladiator will be available soon.<o:p></o:p>
I do not have the tail vibration some users experience. I will play around with the aircraft.cfg and airfile to try to replicate that.<o:p></o:p>
Simon<o:p></o:p>

jetstreamsky
July 13th, 2010, 01:45
I do not see ant tail problems either, but I remember from some time ago on a few other models that the force feedback section of the air file created some issues for some individuals even when force feedback was not in use.

dvj
July 13th, 2010, 07:10
What else can I say? Your comments make the head scratching and miserable times because things don't work out the way you want it to the past 17 months so much more worthwhile!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I do not have the tail vibration some users experience. I will play around with the aircraft.cfg and airfile to try to replicate that.<o:p></o:p>
Simon<o:p></o:p>

Tail vibration or not, it's one of my favorite aircraft.

Rich
July 14th, 2010, 17:17
There are 2 airfiles with this model, a Mk1 and a Mk2, does the vibration occur whichever is selected or just one of them ?

I have force feedback and no problems, if you do not have a FF stick then the FF section is inactive and should not cause tail flutter or vibration.

If it is established the vibration only occurs with one of the Mks then it will be a case of fixing it in one airfile as the aircraft.cfg is the same for both.

jankees
July 17th, 2010, 07:25

good news! I just bought a book on Gladiators in use with the Swedish Airforce at the Flygvapenmuseum in Linkoping (very nice museum, especially after the renovation of last year), so expect a few of those...

dvj
July 17th, 2010, 08:10
There are 2 airfiles with this model, a Mk1 and a Mk2, does the vibration occur whichever is selected or just one of them ?

I have force feedback and no problems, if you do not have a FF stick then the FF section is inactive and should not cause tail flutter or vibration.

If it is established the vibration only occurs with one of the Mks then it will be a case of fixing it in one airfile as the aircraft.cfg is the same for both.

Unfortunately both models. I discovered that the flutter goes away when you fully extend the flaps. Returns when flaps retracted.

jankees
July 31st, 2010, 05:53
any word on a paintkit for this baby?

Francois
July 31st, 2010, 06:06
Hoi Jankees,

last message I received was that Simon is working on it...... :-)