PDA

View Full Version : Is there a failsafe way to cut cockpit windows on aircraft?

Sid2008
July 2nd, 2010, 05:49
Cockpit windows can be a problem if there have curious shapes. Right now I try to take a box or a tube and use trial and error to shape it as a proper cutting tool but the windows usually come outto be less then perfect because much guess work is involved.

I tried to make a template of the window and extrude it into a cutting tool, but that also does not work well. Milton, Zoren, and others, do you guys use a technique that I am not thinking of to make better cockpit windows?

I use FSDS 3.5 and it Boolean operation to do all the cutting.

Thank you for any help.
Sid

hairyspin
July 2nd, 2010, 07:59
Don't know much about FSDS, but you might like to look at this post over at FFDS:- http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1276901437 (http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1276901437)
but I'd ignore the gripes about booleans found there. Some gmax users think necromancy is needed, but others have worked out how to use them successfully, so it can't be impossible with FSDS either.

FFDS is where many FSDS users hang out, btw.

Sid2008
July 2nd, 2010, 09:44
Thank you. I did try to get on FFDS forum but they are not allowing any new names. Isn't that crazy? Does Felix Rodriuez visit this forum? maybe he can help me to be on that forum.
Sid

hairyspin
July 2nd, 2010, 10:58
AFAIK they're only taking on new members at Felix's discretion - too much bother with spam - so I've sent him a PM. Fingers crossed!

Sid2008
July 2nd, 2010, 11:34
Thanks,
I am legit so i hope Felix signs me on the forum.
Sid

Milton Shupe
July 2nd, 2010, 18:05
Cutting cockpit windows is a lot like trying to paint someone's face. It is very difficult, yet absolutely essential to the realism of the aircraft. The "face" has to be right or the whole project is off.

Generally on difficult cockpit windows like the Howard 500, I work on for weeks until I am happy, then finally have to concede to "that's as close as I can get it". I will work on it a few nights, leave it for a week, then go back to it.

The big issue is the top view and the side views never match for cockpit windows ... never.
Secondly, your mesh must be tight enough so your window cuts look close to what they should be instead of distorted by long polys with the centers sunk or raised to make the twist.

Frankly there are no shortcuts that I know. You build the best templates with a mesh equal in complexity to the fuselage area you are cutting to get the side views looking right. Then go to top view and adjust the fore/aft cuts a bit, balancing with the side views cuts.
Then using lots of reference pics, you work the mesh until you are happy with it. I usually do one half the fuselage, then clone/mirror for testing the cuts. That helps visualize the overall cockpits windows. Make adjustments on the primary half, then delete the other, re-clone/mirror. I am certain that I have spent as much as 100 hours on cockpit windows, easily. Perfection takes time and patience.

Good luck

Sid2008
July 3rd, 2010, 09:35
Thnks, Milton. I know its an exercise in patience. i will try some more.
Sid