PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best OS Drive?

Cag40Navy
July 1st, 2010, 11:55
What is the Best Sold State or Hard Drives to use for my OS that will make it ultra fast. I want to be able to access things at lightning speeds etc etc. Thanks.

gigabyte
July 2nd, 2010, 14:14
You will probably get several opinions on this, personally I like the VertaRaptor, it is a 10,000 RPM hard drive and performance wise has always been rated very highly. I am still not 100% comfirtable with Solid State drives, cost wise they are coming down but cost per GB of storage is still too hign IMHO, and there are very few tools that address performance and more importantly data recovery. I know there are lots of advantages to SSD's but I think they are not quite ready for Prime Time just yet - soon but not quite yet.

Just Gig's personal opinion...

Cag40Navy
July 3rd, 2010, 10:42
Thanks, that helps me out alot! I will check into it.

AndyE1976
July 4th, 2010, 00:14
Now that Intel is selling SSD's through Best Buy and making them more easily available the volume sales should hopefully increase and bring the price down and the reliability up.

Theoretically an SSD is the way to go as there are no moving parts, but they are far too expensive at the moment and there are questions over their reliability.

Since the OS drive is typically where your page file sits, you need something that can cope with a high volume of writes as well as reads, which is typically an area where SSD's have not been strongest. Having said that, the latest gen are said to be capable of being written to in the sort of frequencies that would make them suitable for OS drives.

kilo delta
July 4th, 2010, 03:34
I've been running a number of SSD's in my systems since early 2008...I've 2 in my main PC (Samsung 64gb drives), one for the OS and the other houses my FSX photoscenery (FSX has it's own dedicated 1tb 32nm cache drive). The OS drive allows the system to boot much quicker and is faster to load programs (that reside on that HDD),too.
These are early gen2 drives with read/write speeds of ~100mb/sec...pretty slow compared to the latest gen drives.
I've said it before....best bang per buck are the 10,000rpm WD Velociraptors. By all means get an SSD drive to house your OS, but if it's just for FSX you'll need a much more expensive larger capacity drive with minimal performance increases.