PDA

View Full Version : BoB Documentary

stuartcox
July 1st, 2010, 01:05
For those who can't watch British TV:
This is one of the best documentarys I have ever seen!
The story of 303 sqn., made up of Polish pilots during the BoB. Their kill rate was 3 times higher, and the losses three times less than in any other RAF squadron!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-untold-battle-of-britain/4od#3085318

brad kaste
July 1st, 2010, 05:34
Looks like a good documentary. I've read a few books on the Polish pilots that flew for the RAF. Their higher loss rate was due to their highly aggressive attitude towards the German pilots after their country was invaded in 1939. They seeked revenge at a high cost.
Unfortunately too,....after the war they were pretty much thrown under the train and ignored by the powers to be. It was a political thing,....to appease the tyrant J. Stalin.

stuartcox
July 1st, 2010, 06:21
Looks like a good documentary. I've read a few books on the Polish pilots that flew for the RAF. Their higher loss rate was due to their highly aggressive attitude towards the German pilots after their country was invaded in 1939. They seeked revenge at a high cost.
Unfortunately too,....after the war they were pretty much thrown under the train and ignored by the powers to be. It was a political thing,....to appease the tyrant J. Stalin.

Yes, their attitude was to kill, not shoot down!
200,000 Polish fought for Britain, and none were invited to join the victory parade, just in case Mr Stalin got upset!

crashaz
July 1st, 2010, 11:15
Yep the Polish got hung out to dry twice.... at the beginning and at the end of the war. Sad.

TeaSea
July 4th, 2010, 15:50
Churchill writes extensively about this in his histories. It was the treatment of the Polish that led him to have his break with Roosevelt. At that time though, his ability to influence events with the increased U.S. contribution to the war effort had become limited.

Not to take a political bend here, but that was something I think the U.S. overlooked in our recent decisions to change the staging of improved missile defense. Once again, we have hung the Poles out to dry.

olderndirt
July 4th, 2010, 16:49
Looks like another excellent Brit show but, unfortunately, it doesn't want to play 'in my area' - US.