PDA

View Full Version : Attention Luka

Lionheart
June 30th, 2010, 20:43
Luka,

Some of us at www.fsdeveloper.com were wondering if you might be interested in doing a simple to follow tutorial on how to compile a huge model into FS2004 with your 'new technique' that gets around the limits of polygon numbers, and also how you do the new Vertice proximity work around.

We would be massively greatful. (Probably me the most, lol).

I would be willing to write the tutorial myself for you if you could walk me through how this is done.

Bill
LHC

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
July 1st, 2010, 06:29
You must remember one thing Bill , you can get around exterior limits but the VC does not use LOD models and so retains a 65,000 vertex max ( in FS9 ), as an aside the dev community should get used to using LOD models again as future productions ( FS Next ) will require them to be included in the submitted models.

Lionheart
July 1st, 2010, 08:54
Hey Chuck,

How are things?

According to the FS9 SDK, LOD's for interior models are LOD-0 through LOD-200, with the exterior having a higher LOD assignment number, I think 400.

Some guys are compiling models of 150,000 polys into FS9 using Luka's technique. They also have a simpler route on the Vertice perimeter limit using scale in the ASM instead of in Gmax/FSDS. Some people are compiling their models thus in say 8 to 15 model sections.

Bill

Piglet
July 1st, 2010, 22:41
as an aside the dev community should get used to using LOD models again as future productions ( FS Next ) will require them to be included in the submitted models.

How do you know this? Something we should know about?

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
July 2nd, 2010, 06:39
Good modelling practices never go out of style is something you are completely aware of and follow by not overdoing the texture load and poly count, but we ( global ) have on occasion overdone it, when it gets into the 300,000 poly zone and there are 130 mb or so textures loaded for the aircraft it’s no wonder FPS tank .<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Multiplayer gaming is another long-term passion of mine as is air racing, making the best of resources involves using LOD models , additionally it allows the use of the models for AI traffic in the users sim.<o:p></o:p>

On both the above topics i was " thinking out loud " , and lately also trying to do what it is i mention above so that the game remains playable under all the conditions encountered .