PDA

View Full Version : Fools Rush In .....

PeteHam
June 30th, 2010, 19:41
Today New Zealand has the dubious distinction of being the first country in the world to instigate an Emissions Trading Tax on it's businesses and citizens.

Power prices are already on the rise and fuel prices are set to increase as transport fuels and industry enter the scheme today.

The Climate Change Minister says the price rises are only half what they would have been had the ETS ( Emissions Trading Scheme ) of the previous Labour Government not been changed.

The Government is also adamant the ETS will see a fall in the country's greenhouse gas emissions. The Minister says he has been advised the country's carbon dioxide emissions will reduce by 19 million tonnes by 2012. He says it will allow the country to meet its Kyoto Protocol targets and not have to pay for excess emissions.

Geoff Bertram of Victoria University's Climate Change Research Institute disagrees. He says New Zealand's emissions are not going to fall and about the only payoff will be when the Government goes to international meetings.

Mr Bertram says taxpayers are paying for the government to gloat to the rest of the world about its emissions trading scheme. He says it is just a money go round with those handling the transactions clipping the ticket.

Personally I think this whole Global Warming hype is a scam based on suspect data, and there's no way that a country the size of NZ with a population a bit over 4m is going to make a difference.

The previous Government locked us into a commitment to the Kyoto Protocol which we are now going to pay dearly for.

As I say ... "Fools Rush In ..... "

Pete.

OBIO
June 30th, 2010, 19:47
Nothing I would say about this subject would be allowed to stay in Newshawks, so I will keep my bit fat mouth shut.

OBIO

crashaz
June 30th, 2010, 20:00
ditto.

Navy Chief
June 30th, 2010, 20:40
Get ready for similar "hope and changes" here, comrades......

That said, I am retreating back into safety as this thread will almost assuredly be closed.

NC

Wing_Z
June 30th, 2010, 21:49
There's a lot of stuff I don't get about the ETS.
Here's an example: NZ has something like 70% hydro power generation - amongst the cleanest in the WORLD - yet our electricity cost just went up 3% to "Cover the cost of the ETS"
Huh?
And absolutely EVERYTHING just became more expensive
What I want to know, and NOBODY is saying, is: Where does this money actually end up?

EDIT:
T-shirts are appearing...they say
Extra Taxes Suck

Bjoern
July 1st, 2010, 10:34
If that tax is going to be used for extreme promotion of energy conserving houses and cars and an improved public transport structure, why not?

txnetcop
July 1st, 2010, 11:01
Follow the money and the pork these fat cats get off our taxes for "cleaner air." It hasn't happened yet and we have been taxed at the pump and appliance that says "energy saver" for thirty years-it got worse not better! I can't believe I contributed to a thread that is doomed!!!! I'm gone. This thread belongs somewhere else but I couldn't help myself. Sorry jmig:monkies:
Ted

Bjoern
July 1st, 2010, 11:13
appliance that says "energy saver"

You can say A LOT. ;)
Choose your stuff after the datasheet, not the fancy stickers.
Or do you also buy a video card because the box says "Highest 3D performance by use of shared memory" and "256 Mbytes video memory for even the most demanding games!"? ;)

txnetcop
July 1st, 2010, 11:51
Yep poor feeble minded Ted can't read a data-sheet-duh, but neither have these politicians pulled the wool over my eyes!

Cratermaker
July 1st, 2010, 12:37
Remember this phrase: "Carbon Bubble". You'll be seeing it again.

Wing_Z
July 1st, 2010, 12:37
There is a glimmer of hope for us...
The Emissions Trading Scheme is less a tax than a commodities trading market.
Those who dive in early will be in a good position to sell emissions credits at a profit, later on.
The message is: get in early.
Our prime minister went into politics only after making a personal fortune in commodities trading - maybe he knows something!

Sooner or later, every country will have to address their emissions.
Climate science is actually not bunkum, the way it has been footballed definitely is.
The big emitters (Europe, US) are faced with a choice: lead by example, or watch as the emerging economies of China and India do it again and kill the planet.

NZ as ever, feels good about being first in...

GT182
July 1st, 2010, 15:07
Only one way to see if the ETS works or not..... chain every politician by the neck to exhaust pipes. If they live it's working, if they don't....... Yeah you guessed it.... step on the gas harder. ;) :icon_lol:

Bjoern
July 1st, 2010, 16:01
Yep poor feeble minded Ted can't read a data-sheet-duh, but neither have these politicians pulled the wool over my eyes!

;) :d

The big emitters (Europe, US) are faced with a choice: lead by example, or watch as the emerging economies of China and India do it again and kill the planet.

At least the EU and at least my country does.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,2459564,00.html
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3834202,00.html

Allen
July 1st, 2010, 18:59
Nuts I tell ya!

In before http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/vb4_blue/statusicon/thread_lock-16.png.:jump:

Wing_Z
July 1st, 2010, 19:41
Only one way to see if the ETS works or not..... chain every politician by the neck to exhaust pipes. If they live it's working...
Now that...should not be half as funny as it is :salute:

...At least the EU and at least my country does...
Yup, even if you think climate change is nonsense, it has to make sense to use energy more efficiently.
Germany is also a world leader in solar PV.
And being Green is the biggest business opportunity on the planet, those getting left behind...will be left behind.
As long as it doesn't get highjacked, that is.
Some bright spark tried to force NZ into using a particular type of energy-efficient lightbulb.
I think we revolted...

Bill Kestell
July 1st, 2010, 20:21
I can't say nuttin' ... got a BIG MOUTH and a VERY BAD ATTITUDE ... I'll either be banned for life or killed! I'm going to go play with some cartoon airplanes now (gotta' love it, Tim!) How ya' all doin', BTW?:engel016:

SpitXIV
July 1st, 2010, 21:44
Next thing you know they'll charge you money to breathe.

PeteHam
July 1st, 2010, 23:04
Next thing you know they'll charge you money to breathe.

Breathing wasn't the problem , several years ago ...... it was the other end :icon_lol:

I kid you not.

The previous Government proposed a 'Fart Tax'

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/14476

Pete.

Wing_Z
July 2nd, 2010, 00:48
Well it resulted pretty smartly in them becoming the "previous" government.
But it did spark some focussed Crown Research activity, and now our moos fart perfume...:pop4: