PDA

View Full Version : Define "too tight"?

NoNewMessages
June 30th, 2010, 14:29
Quick background and then a "simple" question.

Bought a new cpu and motherboard; i7 930 and an EVGA X58 3x SLI. Also got a three pack of DDR3 ram. Mobo would not boot with the ram fully populated and yes, they were in the correct slots. Each ram module tests fine under Microsoft's memory tester. Flashed the BIOS a couple of times and got a system that now runs, but only showing 4gb out of 6gb. Many posts at EVGA forum with same problem. Some solutions proposed are that the third-party cooler, a Cooler Master V8 in my case, might be the cause of the CPU not seating perfectly and the pins not being perfectly aligned. Also proposed is to loosen the retaining brackets on the backside of the mobo, as they could be too tight thus causing the pin alignment problem mentioned above.

So as I prepare to tear the computer apart one more time and as I contemplate trying the stock Intel CPU cooler on the motherboard I am left to wonder and ask, just how tight should the retaining brackets be when reassembling? Do I need a special torque wrench? I've never really seen anything that says tighten "x" amount.

signed,
Klueless in Kalifornia

txnetcop
July 1st, 2010, 03:21
Your gonna love this...You may have to return your EVGA board...We have had nothing but trouble out of those. Out of fifteen we tested at TechCorp 12 were defective in one way or another. I would go with the ASUS P6T or P6X you will not have any more troubles!
Tight is just fingers tight, no real wrist torque...does that help? A good example you don't torque the screws any tighter than you would motherboard screws.
Ted

NoNewMessages
July 1st, 2010, 09:27
12 out of 15? Ouch!

It seemed like such a good board, but is so hit and miss to getting working smoothly. Once I get the box torn apart I'll have the phone nearby so I can get a hold of tech support, which I hear is good at EVGA.

I'm just wanting to get my $$ worth, can't afford anything else. So I'll make sure my tightening isn't too tight and hope for the best.

Flew around O'ahu last night and FSX kicked by behind, so getting it set and starting to find a decent OC will be a bug help.

Thanks, Ted!

txnetcop
July 1st, 2010, 10:02
No doubt when EVGA SLI boards are working they ROCK but they sure have a high failure rate. That is so unusual for EVGA...Good luck
Ted