PDA

View Full Version : Ever Seen An Emergency Order Of Revocation?

Lateral-G
June 29th, 2010, 05:17
from AVWeb:

Ever Seen An Emergency Order Of Revocation?

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/emergencyrevocation.jpg

On March 13, 2010, the Diamond DA40 piloted by Joseph Kirkbow flew low enough over Crystal Beach, Texas, to snag a fishing line, snap a fishing pole and blow off a man's hat, twice (on separate passes), according to the FAA. The FAA says in its subsequent emergency revocation order that witnesses saw the pilot smile or laugh each time he made a pass that caused people on the beach to duck. But, according to the FAA, upon learning that he could be in trouble he phoned one of his two passengers to tell her that, if anyone asked, she was "never on that plane." The FAA listed 21 findings in the revocation order that read like a laundry list of things the FAA does not want you to do in an airplane ... because most of them are. Based on that, the FAA determined "an emergency exists related to safety in air commerce," in allowing Kirkbow to remain certified. And based on his demonstrated "lack of qualification" to hold an airman's certificate, the agency issued its emergency order of revocation on June 16, which we now offer as educational reading for pilots.

The FAA found that Kirkbow violated paragraphs a, b, and c, of Section 91.119, (altitude requirements) and 91.13(a) regarding careless or reckless operation. It states that certificate holders who intentionally violate the privileges of their certificates compromise safety and found that Kirkbow "cannot be trusted to hold the certificate" it had issued to him. Kirkbow had ten days to appeal but was ordered to surrender his certificate immediately. The FAA told the pilot that failure to comply would make him "subject to further legal enforcement action, including a civil penalty of up to $1,100 per day for each day you fail to surrender it." The order states that Kirkbow may seek to return to the air after one year.

Click to Read:
The Emergency Order of Revocation (http://www.avweb.com/other/kirbowletteremercencyrevocation.pdf) (PDF)

Toastmaker
June 29th, 2010, 05:26
Crikey ! They should permanently revoke this idiot's PPL because he's not going to somehow become un-stupid within a year. He shouldn't even be allowed to draw an airplane in the future !

:running:

Snuffy
June 29th, 2010, 05:28
A little drink, a little smoke, and the prospect of a beautiful woman will push a man to be a fool 9 times out of 10.

GT182
June 29th, 2010, 05:54
What a freeking idiot! :173go1: They shouldn't even let him fly on a computer.

Lionheart
June 29th, 2010, 06:30
What a freeking idiot! :173go1: They shouldn't even let him fly on a computer.

lololol...

FAA: "...and furthermore, we have found that you have FSX on your computer. You must also hand those CD's over and varify evidence that you have erased said simulator from your computer, utterly and completely!"

Thats pretty bad that he did that. You are not to perform stunts over a crowd in an aircraft at low altitude, overhead, in America, even in airshows. Sounds like that guy was a bit goofy to begin with if he was actually hitting things people were holding down on the ground. He could have nailed someone with a tire in a slight downdraft.

Bill

FAC257
June 29th, 2010, 08:53
Back in the late 70's I saw a guy do this over a public beach and never did hear if anything happened to him.

I was living in Vero Beach at the time. On the main beach there's a locally famous pizza place called Patrick's Pizza that sits on the top of the sand dune over looking the public beach. When your sitting in your chair I'd estimate your head is about 30' above sea level. While at lunch one day this kid in a Piper of some sort came down the beach and I clearly recall seeing the gauges on his panel as he went past the windows. From where we we sitting we were looking down into the cockpit.

As a student pilot flying out of X52 at the time and thinking, wow how'd he get away with that stunt!!!

My guess has always been that it was one of the student pilots flying out of Flight Safety International located at KVRB.

FAC

srgalahad
June 29th, 2010, 11:00
Mr. K, as required by the Carmen Miranda Act of 2010 we are required to advise you of your rights:

"You have the right to remain stupid.
Should you do stupid things, they may be held in evidence against you.
You have the right to an attorney greedy enough to represent you.
If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to represent you as you have the right to fight for your freedom to remain stupid.
Pending the outcome of subsequent hearings you are free to mingle in society and express your dismay at the 'police state'.
You are entitled to continue to do additional stupid things until you are proven to be stupid beyond a reasonable doubt.
You are cautioned that any discovery of you being immortalized on POWM shall be collected as evidence.
You are free to go and steal an airplane to re-enact the events which bring forth the above charges."

Furthermore Mr. K., you have the right to bear children and raise them according to your perception of reality, whether it has any semblance of wisdom or decent behavior.

Cratermaker
June 29th, 2010, 11:36
I wonder if there are any state or other criminal laws he can be prosecuted under? He deserves it.

Railrunner130
June 29th, 2010, 13:18
When I was in college, an individual that I went to school with, and had a similar name as mine did something similarly stupid. I got phone calls because people thought it was me and didn't want to rent airplanes to me because of it. That took some explaining on my part to clear my name. Anyhow, he had a little chit-chat with some of the FAAs finest and he had his flying privilages revoked for six months. They had wanted it to be indefinately but somehow it was reduced.

Tom Clayton
June 29th, 2010, 16:43
Didn't they do the same "Emergency Revocation" to the airline pilots that flew past MSP (or was it DTW)?

wbuchart
June 29th, 2010, 17:36
..they should yank his drivers license, too.....

Willy
June 29th, 2010, 17:48
I wonder if there are any state or other criminal laws he can be prosecuted under? He deserves it.

Criminal Endangerment?

PRB
June 29th, 2010, 18:11
Ok, I just find it interesting that in 1930 such behavior was considered dashing, exciting, and perhaps even cool. Oh well, time marches on. We've all be "conditioned" and he's doomed. :icon_lol:

jmig
June 30th, 2010, 03:56
Ok, I just find it interesting that in 1930 such behavior was considered dashing, exciting, and perhaps even cool. Oh well, time marches on. We've all be "conditioned" and he's doomed. :icon_lol:

Yes, things that were fine do change with time. A little self incriminating story with ALL the particulars left out to protect the guilty.

Back many years ago, when camo was green, I was checking out a new pilot in our squadron. Part of the flight took us low level over water. The point where we turned and returned feet dry was over a public beach.

It just so happens that this pilot's family were supposed to be on that beach to watch him fly over. So, the young daring pilot takes us to all of two hundred feet over the beach at 420kts. He can't see his family, so he rolls into to a high G turn, which takes us back over water and over the beach again.

When we landed, the squadron Sr. NCO at Base Ops called me to say that there had been a reported low overfly from that beach. He said that he asked them if they had gotten the number of the aircraft. The individual reporting said, no. They were too low and two fast, the caller said.

The NCO told me that the individual reported TWO planes, one right after another. The NCO then told the caller. sorry, ma am, that can't be us. We only had a single aircraft in that area.

Today if that happened......