PDA

View Full Version : Navy Noseart

Willy
June 28th, 2010, 22:02
I've been discussing with some folks that apparent lack of noseart on US Navy aircraft. From what I understand this is due to two reasons. The Navy brass frown on it and most Navy aircraft aren't assigned regular pilots.

I did find a pic of a PB4Y Privateer that had nose art on it though.

wombat666
June 28th, 2010, 23:20
IIRC the policy during WWII was not to assign a specific aircraft to an aircrew.
It makes sense on a crowded carrier deck, less so on land or water based aircraft.
One that I remember well is David McCampbell's 'Mimsi III', publicity shots taken used temporary kill marks and insignia which were removed later.
I think mention was made of CAG aircraft being personally assigned, but that was in the latter years.
:USA-flag:

Allen
June 28th, 2010, 23:30
I know there was some on early navy aircraft but after Midway it was gone tell late 1944.

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2010, 04:03
Willy,

Naval Aviation nose art may have been sparse, but the tail art of USN aircraft (especially in the 70s) was awesome!

NC

Snuffy
June 29th, 2010, 05:26
Nose, Tail .... its all a matter or priority. LOL!

Willy
June 29th, 2010, 15:20
NC, I remember in the mid 70s on the Lexington, I stood duty boat engineer watches in case we had to drop the motor whale boat in an emergency. As such I had to remain near the boat which meant I spent a lot of time in Hanger Bay 3. We usually carried a few aircraft from squadrons whose carrier was in a shipyard and needed to requal pilots for carrier landings. I got to see a lot of squadron markings on the tails and they sure were colorful.

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2010, 15:59
NC, I remember in the mid 70s on the Lexington, I stood duty boat engineer watches in case we had to drop the motor whale boat in an emergency. As such I had to remain near the boat which meant I spent a lot of time in Hanger Bay 3. We usually carried a few aircraft from squadrons whose carrier was in a shipyard and needed to requal pilots for carrier landings. I got to see a lot of squadron markings on the tails and they sure were colorful.

Yep, when the Navy changed over to the "Tactical Gray" paint scheme, all the colorful tail markings pretty much disappeared. I think the CAG aircraft tail can be colorful, but nothing like the striking colors of the 70s....

wombat666
June 29th, 2010, 17:52
Best and brightest one I remember was the VF111 'Sundowners' CAG F4N.
:applause: