PDA

View Full Version : Question for Computer Guru's.....

WND
June 28th, 2010, 04:22
Good Morning everyone:

Over the weekend I turned on one of my computers and it got to a certain point during the boot up process that it couldn't load Windows due to a missing / corrupt file. Told me the name of file and where it was suppose to be / go!! Using another computer, I went and got a copy of the file that is missing / corrupt - NOW my question is this:

Is there a portion during the boot-up procedure that I can hit an "F" key (or something) that would take me to a screen - before Windows (even DOS) whereby I can load the file from a disk and put it where it's suppose to be????

I am running Windows XP on a SATA drive..

Any help would be deeply appreciated - I'm finding it very difficult not being able to get on my computer and FLY!!!!!!!!! lol

Hope ya all have a great day and upcoming holiday...

Bill

capun
June 28th, 2010, 05:44
You have two methods to try

1- As the PC boots up press the "F8" key several times, you should then get to a boot screen with several options including (words may be different)

- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with Network
- Command Mode

If the PC boots in Safe Mode it would be the best option, if not try Command mode. Just beware that some drives (USB external drives, USB keys) may not work in some of the options

2- If Method 1 fails, then you could use the WindowsXP Install CD to boot up the system and use the Repair option which should get you to the Recovery Console.

Beware of what you are copying from other systems, depending on what you are copying it may cause more harm than good

WND
June 28th, 2010, 07:15
Thanks Capun - I appreciate that...

I knew in the back of my mind there was an "F" key but I couldn't remember which one. lol

As far as your #2 method goes, already tried that and have 2 issue's with that one..

A: it doesn't recognize the drive when I boot from the CD because it's a SATA drive and I have to load the SATA driver first so the system will see the drive. I believe it's because my MB is old enough where it doesn't have the drivers built in.

B: I always run into the issue when I boot from the CD that the "Windows" are not compatible - probably because on the drive I have all the updates etc - so then it never allows me to get to the "repair" screen..

Anyways, I'll try the ""F8" when I get home tonight and let ya know - sure would be nice to get back flying!!!!! lol

Have a great day..

Bill