PDA

View Full Version : I Shoulda' Known Better

falcon409
June 26th, 2010, 18:07
I was doing a scenery for myself. . .an airport in New Jersey that I flew out of when I was a kid. Had everything just about finished, just had to add a few buildings and that was it. Oh wait, there was one other thing. . .I wanted to add a "Fuel Trigger". Unfortunately, 2yrs after AFX said in their forum that they thought it should be in the next update. . .it still isn't, but FSX_Planner does.

Anyway, I figured I'd load the AFCAD into Planner, draw the fuel trigger, resave it and "done". I loaded the file, positioned my airplane in FSX so I could center the trigger correctly. finished and recompiled the bgl file. Sure enough I have a fuel trigger. . .what I don't have is about 2/3rds of the work I spent the last two or three days doing. Planner stripped all that because it doesn't support it. . .of course it didn't come up with any warning cautioning me that I was about to lose everything. . .it just loaded it up pretty as ya please. Showed the entire AFCAD as it should, all the taxiways, parking pads, all the extra work I had drawn in according to the Google Earth image. . . .then proceeded to dump every bit of it when it recompiled the AFCAD.:banghead:

dswo
June 26th, 2010, 18:36
Falcon409, you are just having the worst summer. I've lost a morning's work a couple of times, and it hurts bad. And that was hours of work, not days! A tool I've been using for a couple of years is SyncBack. I use the free version, which makes it easy to schedule backups of whatever you want. Last summer, when I was getting my book manuscript ready for the press, I set it up to ZIP my working files with a unique file name (title + date), so that if the file became corrupted, I could go back as many days as necessary to the last working version. And because the files were zipped, they didn't take much space, even though there were a bunch of them. I use the same program to do a weekly backup of my whole documents folder; one copy goes on a hard drive, the other goes on a USB drive. I know there are even safer solutions, but this one has worked so far. (This afternoon, I used it to repair an FSX file, exe.xml, that got borked by an add-on I am reviewing.)

I know it won't help this time, but maybe next time: http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Lionheart
June 26th, 2010, 23:39
Sorry to hear about this Ed.

You should see how much I back up my work. My saves of gmax' for one project is hundreds. I cannot sleep if I don't have backup copies somewhere. I have lost too much in the past.

Bill

Bjoern
June 27th, 2010, 14:05
My saves of gmax' for one project is hundreds.

I'm on 425 iterations of the Dornier in various stages. :d

Thank goodness that .3ds files can be compressed very well, otherwise my HDD would be full by now...

I usually make a new copy of the file I'm working on when I take the next big step. Once I'm done with everything I either compress the remaining WIP files in an archive or I delete them.

Lewis-A2A
June 27th, 2010, 14:12
Can something like ADE not be used for adding that?

JoeW
June 27th, 2010, 14:20
Can something like ADE not be used for adding that?

ADE can be used for that. It's a bit hidden but it will work. A fuel trigger is an effect and not an object. Makes for a bit of juggling.
:salute:

Ed .... I read your post over at the Developers and I think you understand why I don't even try to do Photo scenery. Same with mesh. I have done both but if I do one and can't download the info ... by the time I get to use it I can't find it or the sites are closed.
It's frustrating. I don't need that. I got enough of that already.