PDA

View Full Version : USS Arizona .... 1/96 plans from Floating Drydock have arrived!!

crashaz
June 26th, 2010, 17:52
WooHoo!!!

G series Hull Profile plans I ordered from Floating Drydock

Will take some pics tommorrow to post.

Using these for my first real foray into FSX ship design.

Collin
June 27th, 2010, 02:28
Now Crashaz, don't get too excited....come down off the chandelier....:bump:

Now are they in paper or cd form? If the former then you will have to get them scanned in as bmp's and put onto a disk, do you know someone with an A1/A2 scanner?:jump:

regards Collin:ernae:

crashaz
June 27th, 2010, 12:37
I have a normal flatbed scanner. So it will have to be scanner in pieces and then assembled in Photoshop.... then shrunken down. Off to take pics!

crashaz
June 27th, 2010, 14:20
Here are some pics... used my Canon EOS to take pics of the plans in detail. Rolled plans back up for safe keeping... to be framed at a later time. :wavey:

grumpos
July 7th, 2010, 14:34
Nice. :ernae:

Is it possible to just take a photograph of the hull instead of scanning it and stitching it together? it would be great if that is possible.

Collin
July 7th, 2010, 16:38
Crashaz, I do suggest you get them professionally scanned, reduced to a manageable size bmp on a cd.

crashaz
July 7th, 2010, 16:52
Will look to see where I can get this scanned. Thanks for the advice shipmates! :salute:

fliger747
July 7th, 2010, 23:16
Frodoshop... CS4 is very good at putting together bits an pieces, even a lot! If you don't mind large files....

Was rather surprised to learn recently that the loss of Arizona was no due to a bomb (which probably did not penetrate her armor) but due to a fire which probably ignited her 1000 LBS of black powder who's magazine was near the fire and..... open hatches. This explosion probably set off the rest of the stuff!

T

crashaz
July 7th, 2010, 23:46
Yep the black powder for the catapults.

Collin
July 11th, 2010, 00:05
Crashaz, this has come up on Ebay if'n yer interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTLESHIPS-ARIZONA-AN-ILLUSTRATED-HISTORY-P-STILLWELL-/370405999342?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Books_UK&hash=item563deb02ee

Skipsan
July 11th, 2010, 08:48
Crashaz I would try a blue print reproduction company and/or a print-reduction company. You might try one of the major photo copy stores also, they may be able to digitize them for you also.

Skipsan :kilroy:

fliger747
July 11th, 2010, 09:37
A problem with photographing the plans is distortion. Any zoom lens will have a certain degree of barrel or pincusion distortion depending on the focal length chosen. Professional repro lenses are optimized for flatness of image plane and low distortion. If you do chose to go the photographic route rather than scanning, I suggest including dimensional items such as a large ruler or tape on the edges to make sure you have dimensional control. Since you may frame the drawings later I'll presume you don't want to draw a grid on the plans.

I do have the "Battleship Arizona" book by Paul Stillwell which does have quite a number of 1:600 general arangement drawings and hull profiles, by Alan B Chesley. They do cover various periods of the ships history.

There are eight pages of the June 1941 arrangements. Of course a lot of photos!

Cheers: T

PRB
July 11th, 2010, 10:30
...I do have the "Battleship Arizona" book by Paul Stillwell which does have quite a number of 1:600 general arangement drawings and hull profiles, by Alan B Chesley. They do cover various periods of the ships history...

I think we have the exact same library! :icon_lol:

Collin
July 11th, 2010, 12:04
crashaz, if you do get it scanned make sure that the scan size is reduced to the max size you can use within your cad program, otherwise you can lose the small details when you have to reduce the bmp yourself.

Would'n it be good if we had a members digital tech library?:jump:

norab
July 11th, 2010, 14:37
don't know what date range you are planning on building her in but this might be of interest
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/12/07/news/story04.html

and this site has some great photos

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/39e.htm

PRB
July 11th, 2010, 15:51
That's interesting about the red turret roofs. I built an Arizona model a while back (still have it too). I painted it as described in your attached pic (mostly), but I didn't know about the red roofs. The Leeward Publication's SHIP DATA 3, USS Arizona, says she was painted in Measure 14 in December 1941, which is ocean gray with haze gray from the top of the funnel upwards, and deck blue on all decks.

crashaz
July 11th, 2010, 17:54
That information came out in 2006 when I was out there for the anniversary. Best vacation I ever had.

Here is the article from that day.
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/12/07/news/story04.html

fliger747
July 12th, 2010, 08:52
Jeez: I always painted all my ships in Black and White... like the photos.... Colors of stuff from that era always brings forth some discussion despite the presence of so called standard colors.

fliger747
July 12th, 2010, 09:13
She was painted sometime about the start of November 1941. Hull and superstructure "Dark Gray" and tops still light gray. My recollection of the "dark gray" that was used was that it had some blue in it, somewhat like the deck blue but not as intense. I would be a bit surprised about the turret roofs, and info on other ships if this actually occured? Sometimes orders are issued and roundtuits intervene. Apparently there is a paucity of close up photos of Arizona after her Jan 1941 visit to PSNS.

Collin
July 12th, 2010, 11:25
Jeez: I always painted all my ships in Black and White... like the photos.... Colors of stuff from that era always brings forth some discussion despite the presence of so called standard colors.

YOU TOO!!!

I remember painting the Airfix HMS Nelson black'an'white camo colours because I hadn't seen colour piccies of serving ships in WW2. So, one Sunday as a 'treat', mum and her boyfriend took me down to Grays beach where they were scrapping all the small craft from frigates downwards including the big tank landing craft. Mum an 'im' went to the pub while I played sailor on some of the old craft, when they got back there was this big happy mud ball waiting for them who promptly got a clip round the lug'ole for being so filthy.....good time though.:jump:

Not to worry, crashaz has got the right colours there already.