PDA

View Full Version : Eaglesoft Diamond star twin

clmooring
June 26th, 2010, 16:33
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased the Eaglesoft Diamond starl; especially anyone who might have handson experience with both the IRIS and Eaglesoft versions. They both look like great add-ons, but I cant find too much on the Eaglesoft bird yet.

ryanbatc
June 26th, 2010, 16:57
Hopefully this won't come out negative.

Huge disclaimer: My PC is getting old!

I bought it and returned it within 30min because the FPS loss was immense, moreso than their SR22 - in which I get fairly decent performance. So I don't know if the G1000 is more CPU intensive than the avidyne or what.

For the short while I tried it out - the VC looked really crisp and nice, the G1000 system was pretty good, much better than default. The external modeling was obviously ES top notch. I think it would make a good stable twin to add to most people's hangar. As long as you have a C2D/C2Q/i7/i5 CPU you'll be just fine I'm sure.

Oh and I think they still have their summer sale until June 30...10% I believe...

N400QW
June 26th, 2010, 22:44
Ryan, surprised to hear of the low performance. Thought you had pretty nice rig.
Yes, the Coupon is good thru 30 June, 2010.

N400QW
June 26th, 2010, 22:48
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has purchased the Eaglesoft Diamond starl; especially anyone who might have handson experience with both the IRIS and Eaglesoft versions. They both look like great add-ons, but I cant find too much on the Eaglesoft bird yet.

Here's a mini review posted by a real world DA42 Pilot...

As was mentioned, been too busy flying this bird to write a review!
It is a fantastic aircraft to fly in FS. I fly the DA42 in real life, and this is so accurate!
Speeds/power settings are spot on.
It is great being able to apply RW procedures to a FS model and it works out the same.
Even the sounds are realistically recorded and modelled.
It was funny cos on the ES forums someone was asking about the engine shut down noise, but it is just like it is in real life.

I don't have the Mindstar G1000 as I'm enjoying the ES one at the moment. I don't really think that extra $$ needs to be splashed on the G1000 when ES have done such a great job doing there model.
I think the MIndstar may be more functional, and that's fine if you wana shell out more $$.
The visual aspects of the DA42 are fantastic as well.
Interior, VC, again, everything modelled like the RW a/c. Exterior visual model is great too.
I love autocoupling the APR mode onto an ILS and switching to the outside view and watching it slide down the glideslope - taking in the awesome job that the designers have done on the exterior modelling.
It has the Mindstar KAP-140 autopilot which works like a charm now too.
I've been waiting so, so, so long for a good DA42 for FSX and this one definitely cuts the cake for me!
Small enough to do your VFR low terrain flying in, yet sophisticated eough with the G1000 to handle all aspects of IFR flight.
Cruises (our SOP's) at a nice 140kt TAS (but can handle faster). Slow cruise 120kt - approach speed 105kt & Vref 75kt
Hope you get the opportunity to give this plane a whirl!
I know that's what I'm going to be spending my time on over the next few months! <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1785479-->

ryanbatc
June 27th, 2010, 12:11
Ryan, surprised to hear of the low performance. Thought you had pretty nice rig.
Yes, the Coupon is good thru 30 June, 2010.

Hehe I wish... it's definitely showing its age. I can only compare it to what airplanes I run, and both your Cirrus and C750 run a lot faster than the Twinstar did for me. Maybe it was something to do with the AA on the panels in VC (I run nHancer) but I couldn't get much performance out of it.

N400QW
June 27th, 2010, 12:30
Understood. As you can see, others are really enjoying her so were guessing they are in better shape computer wise.

glennc
June 27th, 2010, 18:48
Back to the original question: I have both. I prefer the Eaglesoft aircraft for several reasons mostly undefineable. I've flown both since this question was posted.

I made the comment on Eaglesoft's forum about the shutdown sound. I knew when I made it that I was off into the area of personal preference with no real knowledge of the real airplane behind it.

For what it's worth, I'm "flying" a three and a half year old PC that's had a few upgrades since it was new but its still showing its age at times. The ES aircraft does not really stress the system unless I take into a dense scenary add-on.

Glenn

N400QW
June 27th, 2010, 18:55
Thanks Glenn. Dense scenery will surely effect all systems.

clmooring
June 28th, 2010, 18:44
thanks Glenn