PDA

View Full Version : What would you say is the best, most realistic DEFAULT area/city in FSX?

tracyq144
June 25th, 2010, 11:01
I have PNW (with a couple of Orbx airports) installed, and find myself spending 99.99% of my time there, because it is just soooo good.

BUT, although I have driven through that area many times, I don't live there, I live in the Midwest, MPLS/STPAUL, to be specific.

I've got FSG mesh, REX, and that's about it for enhancements in the stock FSX world (I do have an enhanced Grand Canyon area).

Vegas seems good, what other city/areas do you recommend?

(If anyone would ever do KRCX (Rusk County WI), I would be more than happy to either pay for it, or be your slave :icon_lol:)

http://www.runwayfinder.com/#

Shylock
June 25th, 2010, 12:12
NYC is pretty good in default. Flying down the Hudson River with your complexity turned up is pleasing to the eye.

Helldiver
June 25th, 2010, 12:34
The most realistic scenery ever built for FSX was Bill Womack's Plum Island scenery, bar none. I live a half mile from it and I can tell you that he didn't miss a detail. From the buildings, realitically done, to the heavy equipment that the ex FBO left at the end of the runway, just for spite. The marsh lands and the tributaries of the Merrimac River. Plum Island's miles of beach, the city of Newburyport, even showing the apartment where I live, the traffic circle where I get my Dunkin Donuts coffee every day to the Port Shopping center with Marshalls, Market Basket and Shaws can be easily identified. The cemetary across the street and Route 95 going by with old route one with the bridge over it. It's all there.
He really did a tour de force on this one.

falcon409
June 25th, 2010, 12:49
Helldiver, he's asking about DEFAULT cities/areas. I agree though Bill did a great job on Plum.:salute:

Helldiver
June 25th, 2010, 13:00
At only $15 bucks it may as well be default scenery.

bkeske
June 25th, 2010, 13:09
I can't even remember what the default FSX scenery looked like.

dswo
June 25th, 2010, 13:45
In addition to those already mentioned: Seattle, Chicago, Tokyo, Washington DC, London, Rio, Berlin, the Alps generally, Istanbul. All of these can and have been improved with payware, but the defaults are already a lot of fun.

falcon409
June 25th, 2010, 14:19
The one that really impressed me and everyone knows this but it hasn't been touched on is Princess Juliana Airport.:salute:

Bjoern
June 25th, 2010, 15:01
[Insert name of capital or widely known city here]

tracyq144
June 25th, 2010, 17:22
[Insert name of capital or widely known city here]

Where? Here? Or here? Or over there? ????

anthony31
June 25th, 2010, 18:14
Open up your FSX folder and go to the Scenery directory. There will be a bunch of folders with 4 digit numbers, ignore them.

Go into one of the other directories eg. AFRI (Africa), NAME (north america east) etc. Go into the scenery folder you see. You will now some names. These are scenery areas which have a bit more detail than the default and can be worth visiting.

For example:
In FSX\SCenery\EURE\Scenery there are 4 files:

athens.bgl
helsinki.bgl
moscow.bgl
stpetersburg.bgl

So select an airport in one of these cities and then have a look around.

CheckSix
June 25th, 2010, 18:29
Toronto (Canada) is replicated pretty well too.

MenendezDiego
June 25th, 2010, 19:53
VEGAS BABY

stormtrooper271
June 25th, 2010, 20:28
The Bonneville Salt Flats (take off from KENV) are pretty good for an attempt at a barren landscape and easy on the frame rates; also makes a good starting place for a trip to Salt Lake City and then north into Challis. (KLLJ)

dominique
June 26th, 2010, 07:18
7°24'41.02"S 109°26'48.84"W ?

jankees
June 26th, 2010, 07:50
default FSX, what's that?

Cazzie
June 26th, 2010, 07:54
Cities eat chunks of fps, so I avoid them. I'd say Vegas or Seattle would be the best default, however.

Caz

Bjoern
June 26th, 2010, 08:36
Where? Here? Or here? Or over there? ????

Whereever you want. :d