PDA

View Full Version : Ext. enclosure

waco
June 24th, 2010, 18:25
Anybody got an idea why an External enclosure with a SATA3 hard drive in it would be recognized by one Win XP SP3 32bit machine but not the other when hooked up via an eSATA cable? They both recognize the enclosed hard drive if the USB cable hook up is used. Queried the manufacturer but no joy. Googled and read a multitude of forum threads. Nothing definitive. Just found some minor fixes that didn't help.

rohan
June 24th, 2010, 21:45
This doesn't help you one bit (sorry) but I have two seemingly identical netbooks bought just four months apart from the same supplier. Both run WinXPHome, both are checked by Windows Update every weekday (and updated one after the other when updates are available), both are checked against the manufacturer's website for software updates once a month, both have the same firewall and virus protection. The "only" differences between the machines are the applications I've installed (because one is my test and development machine and the other is production).

Yet, there are subtle differences that are obvious in use - mostly on the network side. Bluetooth does not have the same configuration or even the same configuration options. I can disable the network cable interface on one PC but not on the other. Even the ability to access the Windows network options is different.

I've tried uninstalling various bits of software and drivers and reinstalling them but it's made little difference, yet from looking at Hardware Manager everything I've looked at showed the same versions and properties.

It's true that I haven't restarted from scratch by reinstalling Windows, and I've thought about cloning one to the other, but I'm just not prepared to waste that time and money. At the end of the day, the differences are just not that major, but they remain nonetheless ...
Ro
:ernae:

waco
June 25th, 2010, 08:02
The problem may lay in the fact that each mother board is a different brand. One MSI and the other Asus. I'm going to change the hard drive in the enclosure for SATA2 hard drive. That's what the specs on the enclosure call for. Even though the manufacturer it can be compatible forward to SATA3. Now here's a weird one. One enclosure I ran across in Newegg said it was compatible to SATA3 externally, but internally it was only compatible to SATA1 & 2.