PDA

View Full Version : Quebec quake damages buildings, highway

srgalahad
June 23rd, 2010, 18:06
"The temblor hit at 1:41 p.m. ET south of Echo Lake, Que., 60 kilometres north of Ottawa near the Ontario border, and was felt across southern and eastern Ontario and western Quebec, as well as in some U.S. states, including Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Jersey and New York."

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=24668294

GT182
June 23rd, 2010, 18:22
Oh crap, hope no one was hurt and damage wasn't real bad. I've felt a few when we lived in Ft. Covington, NY. Even had one close by in NY back in 2004 or 05. The Ice Storm of '98 was bad enough, no need for something as bad or worse up there. Stay safe SG.

I just looked and the worst NY earthquake was in my hometown of Massena, NY back in Sept of 44... 5.8 magnatude. I'm glad I wasn't around then.

SG, take a look at this site that show your area plus NY and New England. Our lovely St. Lawrence Rive is acutally sitting on a fault zone. http://www2.bc.edu/~kafka/Why_Quakes/why_quakes.html

And this is a good read too..... http://www2.bc.edu/~kafka/my_opinion.html

stormtrooper271
June 23rd, 2010, 18:39
The local news reported that a hospital in Dayton felt some tremors today.

mike_cyul
June 23rd, 2010, 20:03
I was sitting in my office here in Kingston, and thought someone was trying to make the chair swivel. But nope, it was the earth moving, and things rattled and shook for about 6-7 seconds. :mixedsmi:

My wife called to tell me people in her office couldn't establish cellphone connections to Ottawa, so perhaps a tower or two was rattled out of commission up there.

Mike

Brian_Gladden
June 24th, 2010, 04:27
I missed it as I was driving my work truck on a rather rough dirt road when it hit.... But apparently it was felt rather strongly here in VT.

Brian

hubbabubba
June 24th, 2010, 05:46
I'm in Montréal. I was watching U.S.A.-Algeria World Cup match (great game BTW) in the kitchen when the table started vibrating! For a second, I tought it was a heavy truck passing in front of the house, but no traffic to be seen.

I had a glass of softdrink in front of me and it was making concentric waves... then it stopped. 5-6 seconds top.

My wife was in old-Montréal building and plants in pots were moving around. I don't know why, but people in different places felt the effects differently, not necessarily because they were closer. I barely noticed it and my wife, 5 miles away, tought it was the big one!

Near the epicenter, a church had one of its wall crumble and may have to be demolished. In Ottawa, a few chimneys also crumbled.

The worst thing about earthquakes is the feeling of powerlesness; we're like ants under the heel of a giant.:isadizzy:

Railrunner130
June 24th, 2010, 06:26
I've been in several earthquakes in Afghanistan. They were big ones too- in the 6+ range. The one in '05 had us running humanitarian relief missions into Pakistan. For the most part, there was no real damage. There was one about six months ago that destroyed a village though. Lots of people ended up being medivaced.