PDA

View Full Version : With no new T-33 on the horizon...

ColoKent
June 22nd, 2010, 07:51
....I'm looking at ways to rework the textures on Tim Conrad's T-Bird. What I really want to do is create a paint kit with crisper panel lines, and perhaps, for those schemes that are natural metal (and with the T-33 there are a lot of them), look into the possibility of doing a photo real metal finish. As a result, I have two questions I would like to get answered:

1. is the best way to get crisper texture details to in increase texture size (i.e. 1024 vs. 512, or 2048 vs. 1024, etc.), or is is to increase the texture resolution, or a combo of both?

2. Is there a good tutorial that anyone knows of that discusses in detail how to create photoreal textures?

Thanks ahead of time for any info...

Regards,

Kent

falcon409
June 23rd, 2010, 09:11
I'm surprised no one stepped up to answer this question. . .especially with all the livery artists we have lurking around. I'll answer it my way and maybe that'll prompt someone to answer it correctly, lol.

I use 2048x2048 textures for any repaints I do in FSX and then save them as 32bit to keep as much detail as I can. Of course that's for aircraft that are port-overs and where I don't want to mess with converting everything to dds. I have never messed with the texture resolution before, but only because it never crossed my mind to do that.

As far as photoreal textures, there may be a tutorial somewhere, but it seems to be a secret technique only handed down to another at the individuals death, lol.:salute:

rohan
June 23rd, 2010, 09:27
As I understand it, "photoreal" is one of those words that covers a multitude of sins, sorry, methods. I recall a discussion here which couldn't even reach agreement on a single definition of photoreal - there are different approaches, and they are each achieved by different methods, with not necessarily a single method for a particular approach ...

Sorry, I doubt that moves you forward, and I'd be more than happy if one of our experts was to prove me wrong,
Ro

Cazzie
June 23rd, 2010, 10:07
With all FS9 ports that I do for FSX, i.e. the Champ, Stuart's D.VII and Pfalz D.III, I increase all texture maps to 2048 X 2048 and the smaller maps are doubled in size, then all are saved in DDS 888-8 32-bit formats. However, I have found that FSX prefers for the prop washes to be DDS DXT5, so they are in that format.

I get good results in natural metal just using a neutral gray (HEX # 888888) and an alpha to suit the shine wanted.

I don't do photoreal textures, that's Banana Bob's league and I wish he were back here with us.

Caz

GrinningJester
June 23rd, 2010, 10:22
The easiest technique for doing Photoreal textures is collecting a large amount of images of the aircraft you wish to texture, from the best possible, flat angles.

I.e. for the fuselage, you'll need photos exactly perpendicular to the fuselage, if possible.

Then you cut and paste, and have your fun in Photoshop to get it to fit the aircraft properly and have all the lines match up.

There are more advanced techniques that also utilize this method of getting photoreal textures, specifically involving the different blending modes in photoshop (having photos of a natural grey aircraft, for example, allows you to utiilize the blending modes to extrapolate the panellines, rivets, dirt, etc while making it viable for other paintschemes.

Bjoern
June 23rd, 2010, 14:51
The easiest technique for doing Photoreal textures is collecting a large amount of images of the aircraft you wish to texture, from the best possible, flat angles.

...for the rest there's perspective correction.

Works surprisingly well. Tried to paint a vertical stabilizer yesterday with Continental's logo. Awfully tedious. Then I found a good photo which was from a slight angle above and thus got rid of the annoying horizontal stabilizer blocking the view. Copy, paste, perspective correction to freeform adjust the stabilizer texture to the repaint template et voilą, a photoreal Continental logo. Whee!

skyblazer3
June 24th, 2010, 12:04
Good luck on the T-33 repaint/ paintkit creation. It's probably a good texture to start this sort of work with. I was having good luck on it before my hard drive crashed and I lost it all.

Keep us updated on your progress,

Chris

Railrunner130
June 24th, 2010, 13:36
As I recall, the T-33 needs new contact points, flight dynamics, etc. I'd really appreciate an updated T-bird. :jump:

falcon409
June 25th, 2010, 05:05
Good luck on the T-33 repaint/ paintkit creation. It's probably a good texture to start this sort of work with. I was having good luck on it before my hard drive crashed and I lost it all. Keep us updated on your progress,
Chris
Yep, definitely keep us updated as you go Kent so we can keep this thread alive and maybe get some additional interest from other folks for updated FDE and such.:salute:

johndetrick
June 25th, 2010, 12:32
<center>FSX - FSX Modern Military </center> <center>FSX USMC TO-2/TV-2/T-33B
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=146282) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=146282) ] </center>
Name: usmct33b.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=146282) Size: 39,867,715 Date: 05-11-2010 Downloads: 1,059
http://www.flightsim.com/p/usmct33b.gif FSX USMC TO-2/TV-2/T-33B. This is a rework of Tim Conrad's Lockheed T-33A for FSX. Includes new .air file, new .cfg and new sounds. The main texture bitmap for the outside has been resized. The USN/USMC operated the T-33 until 1976. The original designation for the USN T-33's was the TO-2, and then changed to TV-2 and in 1962 changed again to T-33B. Includes four variants, a TO-2 assigned to VMIT-20 (Marine Instrument Training Squadron), MCAS El Toro in 1952. The second variant is a TV-2 assigned to HMS-33 (Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron) MCAS El Toro in 1958. The third is a T-33B assigned to VMF-321 in 1964. And the final version is a T-33B assigned to the MARTD (Marine Aviation Reserve Training Detachment) at NAS Andrews in 1976. This last one is painted to represent the last T-33 used by the USMC. MARTD Andrews retired their last one in early 1976. For this file you will need T-33_PPP.ZIP (http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=T-33_PPP.ZIP) for the gauges. Tested in FSX SP2 Acceleration. By John Detrick.

Try this over at flightsim.com. I reworked piglets's T-33 a little while ago.

ColoKent
June 26th, 2010, 19:37
..I did use your flight model-- works great. It's still a "stopgap" measure until someone updates the T-33 with an FSX native version...wish I knew GMAX!!!! In the meantime, Tim's old bird hasn't done too badly standing the test of time...

Kent

skyblazer3
June 26th, 2010, 20:27
John's new flight dynamics on the T-33 are some of the best I've ever seen. The aircraft is the funnest and easiest airplane to fly in formation with FSX. It would be great to have a new t-33 model, but I hope that whoever gets around to making it works with John for the FDE.

I can't recommend John's update enough. I've had some trouble flying off of the T-33 in an F-86, but the T-33 flies great off of the 86s wing, and flies like a dream off of another T-33. I suggest downloading it along with some Death Valley photo-real scenery and going on a formation sortie with some friends... you won't be disappointed.

I can't fully explain what makes the T-33 FDE upgrade so wonderful, but it flies like a very solid and heavy aircraft while still being responsive and maneuverable. As a single ship you might not be able to notice what a great FDE it is, but as soon as you pull up onto someone's wing you will know what a jewel the T-33 is.

A few weeks ago I led a 4 ship of T-birds from Tonopah test range to Lake Tahoe and then we proceeded to do some gentlemen's aerobatics. Half of the flight had never flown the T-33, but no one ever got out of formation, not even for a moment! A few days later I was flying a cross country as a wingman in a T-33 2 ship and I was able to eat a sandwich and drink a glass of ice tea without getting out of formation! I don't think I had to touch the throttle for about 5 minuets. Go get this aircraft and fly the hell out of it until we get a native FSX model!

Thanks to Tim for making a great model and thanks to John for the best flight dynamics I've ever felt,
:salute::ernae:
Chris

stansdds
June 27th, 2010, 03:22
I'll have to give this T-33 FDE a try, sounds like what I would expect from a first generation jet trainer.

jmig
June 27th, 2010, 06:08
John, thanks for the heads up. I just downloaded her.

Bjoern
June 27th, 2010, 14:09
...wish I knew GMAX!!!!

It isn't that hard.

Bring time, patience and a dream and you'll have your FSX native model.

falcon409
June 29th, 2010, 18:55
I'm still working on this to tweak it, but here are some WIP shots of a layered paint kit. Currently, it's at 4096x4096 but if I do much more to it, I may have to cut that in half before my system gives up the ghost, lol. Every time I even try to move anything it gives me a message, "This function requires a large amount of memory, do you want to continue?" It's currently about 22meg and I have every layer separated, so left and right top and bottom for lines and rivets are a separate layer, then I have a layer for placards and so on.

I used "walkaround" photo's to get some idea of the placards and warning decals, but unfortunately every walkaround showed either a different placard or no placard at all, so I took what I needed and "winged it", lol. I did try a quick polished aluminum look which as you can see I did not include because it just looked like I dipped the airplane in chrome.

Anyway, that's what I'm working on so that I can do some repaints at some point.:salute:

ColoKent
June 29th, 2010, 18:57
THAT looks GREAT!

Kent

falcon409
June 29th, 2010, 19:02
Thanks Kent. The only thing right now that I don't know how to fix, or even that there is a way to fix it is the areas at the very top and bottom of the textures (fuselage) where the rivets get stretched. I thought about just eliminating those, but then that would look odd too.

Not sure what to do about it.

ColoKent
June 29th, 2010, 19:18
....or have you managed to make the canopy shiny???

Kent

falcon409
June 29th, 2010, 20:51
Nope, lol. . .that's just an artificial shine applied in FSRepaint to show light directions. Rather disheartening though is that even at 4096x4096, when saved as 32bit 888, which I assume is the best resolution, the final product looks like this: (compare to what it looks like in the images above!).

Pips
June 29th, 2010, 22:58
Still looks bloody hot as far as I'm concerned! :)

txnetcop
June 30th, 2010, 08:07
Falcon "you have come a long way baby!" Great stuff keep it coming!
Ted

strykerpsg
June 30th, 2010, 09:13
Agree with above posters, looking sweet!

Matt

falcon409
June 30th, 2010, 10:18
I'd like to see if anyone can assist me with a patch/insignia question. The image below shows a T-33A supposedly with the 57th FIS at Keflavik AFB in the early 70's. The insignia on the tail is the TAC patch and the stylized black knight is part of the insignia of the "Black Knights" from that base which as far as I can tell, never flew the T-33 in an Interceptor role (F-15's, F-106's and a few others, but never the T-33). Finally, the other insignia next to the knight's helmet is one I am unable to find at all. It doesn't appear to be a command insignia and it doesn't match any of the available 57th patches either.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm looking at there? Thanks!:salute:

Bone
June 30th, 2010, 12:09
The 57th FIS.

ColoKent
June 30th, 2010, 12:17
...they were used for instrument training/proficiency flying, and as "friendly enemy" aircraft for the interceptors (F-89s, F-102s, F-4s, and F-15s) to run practice intercepts against.

As for the emblem...it's "ADTAC" (Air Defense, Tactical Ar Command), the organization that handled Air Defense fighters from ADC's deactivation in 1979, and the standup of Air Combat Command in 1992. See the link below, and look under "Numbered Air Forces":

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tactical_Air_Command_Emblems

Hope that helps...

Kent

falcon409
June 30th, 2010, 15:17
Yep, got it Kent. . .thanks. I'll load this one into PSP and do one to use on the livery and I'm all set.:salute:

ColoKent
June 30th, 2010, 15:49
...I'm pretty good at finding artwork-- but I could NOT find a graphical version of this one. But I have not given up.

Kent

Bone
June 30th, 2010, 19:06
I'd like to see if anyone can assist me with a patch/insignia question. The image below shows a T-33A supposedly with the 57th FIS at Keflavik AFB in the early 70's. The insignia on the tail is the TAC patch and the stylized black knight is part of the insignia of the "Black Knights" from that base which as far as I can tell, never flew the T-33 in an Interceptor role (F-15's, F-106's and a few others, but never the T-33). Finally, the other insignia next to the knight's helmet is one I am unable to find at all. It doesn't appear to be a command insignia and it doesn't match any of the available 57th patches either.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm looking at there? Thanks!:salute:

I'll be looking forward to the 57th FIS paint for the T-33. I spend a fair amount of sim time at Reykavik with the Iris F-15 and Mark Walsh's MAIW F-15 57th paints. Since I love the F-4 so much, I've been working on a 57th FIS paint for the Fernando Martinez AI F-4C/D. All I have to do now is plug in the tail numbers I have for about 10 planes. Having the T-33 just rounds it out superbly.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/2010-6-30_21-47-42-117.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/1706847.jpg

falcon409
June 30th, 2010, 19:30
...I'm pretty good at finding artwork-- but I could NOT find a graphical version of this one. But I have not given up.
Kent
Kent, I put one together from a similar insignia, and considering how small this will end up being, total accuracy won't be a problem, lol. I don't like the "N", so I'll fix that, but otherwise it should work fine.

ColoKent
June 30th, 2010, 19:55
.....that was way better than my attempt...11642

ColoKent
June 30th, 2010, 20:01
....but it still needs work on the basic colors, etc:

falcon409
June 30th, 2010, 21:04
Yep, I remember coming across that one as well, glad you picked up on that design.:salute:

Here's one side with some rivet and panel line shadows (not the final look though) and some of the insignia applied. The checkerboard rudder and US Air Force will be next.

Daube
July 1st, 2010, 00:57
Impressive work Falcon.
Piglet's T-33 was one of my favorite planes in FS9, and I have recently downloaded it into my FSX hangar. I can't wait to see your first repaints !!

txnetcop
July 1st, 2010, 04:01
Yep I hate doing port overs but that one had to come over to FSX!!!!
Ted

falcon409
July 1st, 2010, 06:19
Just a bit more progress, Fuselage only at this point:

falcon409
July 1st, 2010, 07:03
. . . .and one more: One additional pic added to show revised rudder marking and nose anti-glare paint.

Wild Bill Kelso
January 8th, 2011, 00:47
Stumbled across this thread, as I currently have a repaint of a certain T-Bird with lots of red markings (AFCS) on my mind...

Seems like your pics are gone (did we have any server crash recently? :wiggle: ).
Is there any chance for me to get some current-state blank textures to play with?

Thanks in advance,
Markus.

Wild Bill Kelso
January 8th, 2011, 04:29
In the meantime, I achieved the author's permission to use his photographs.
Isn't this a sweet T-Bird?

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/0-61623_1964.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/0-61623_1965.jpg

Paint shed is waiting... :jump:

Bjoern
January 8th, 2011, 10:53
Didn't Ed (falcon409) do a paintkit for the T-Bird?

falcon409
January 8th, 2011, 11:31
Didn't Ed (falcon409) do a paintkit for the T-Bird?
Yep, I just uploaded it to the SOH Downloads section.:salute:

Railrunner130
January 8th, 2011, 17:03
Not to change the subject, but did the hatchet with Tim Conrad ever get buried?

falcon409
January 8th, 2011, 20:49
Not to change the subject, but did the hatchet with Tim Conrad ever get buried?
Haven't seen or heard anything from him or about him. I'm sure there are folks who know, but I'm not really privy to that circle, lol.:salute:

HenryW
January 9th, 2011, 02:42
Haven't seen or heard anything from him or about him. I'm sure there are folks who know, but I'm not really privy to that circle, lol.:salute:

Thats great! Any chances for convert the files to *.psd format? i'd love to make some heavy metal skins for the T-33, please?

falcon409
January 9th, 2011, 04:07
Sorry Henry, I don't have any way of converting the textures. I don't use Photoshop, but maybe someone who does can download the textures and give you an assist.:salute:

Wild Bill Kelso
January 9th, 2011, 06:51
Sorry Henry, I don't have any way of converting the textures. I don't use Photoshop, but maybe someone who does can download the textures and give you an assist.:salute:

Sounds like a job for me!
My PaintShopProX allows exporting to PSD.
If you agree, falcon, I could re-upload the PSD bundle...?

Cheers,
Markus.

falcon409
January 9th, 2011, 08:23
Sounds like a job for me!
My PaintShopProX allows exporting to PSD.
If you agree, falcon, I could re-upload the PSD bundle...?

Cheers,
Markus.
That would be most excellent Markus, thanks!:salute:

Wild Bill Kelso
January 9th, 2011, 10:05
Upload completed.
Glad I could help, mate!

Cheers,
Markus.

Radioman123
January 11th, 2011, 08:30
You may want to see if the textures work for the native code FSX-A T-33 based on Tim Conrads work. The FDE file was updated with permission from John Detrick.

t-33a_fsx_2010.zip
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=150868

This is a native code FSDS 3.5.1 version. I am looking at conversion to GMAX for some texture reasons but it is behind my B-26 native code development which is about a month away from finishing.

Regards

Radioman123

Wild Bill Kelso
January 11th, 2011, 08:50
You may want to see if the textures work for the native code FSX-A T-33 based on Tim Conrads work.

They do!

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/T-Bird/Xafcs1.jpg

Thanks for the HU - I've already grabbed your great conversion! :salute:
These are of course the FS9 textures I've just finished. The FSX version will be a complete new paint to take advantage of the 4096 resolution.
More to follow...

Cheers,
Markus.

Radioman123
January 11th, 2011, 08:55
Very impressive even with the FS9 textures.

Radioman123

Wild Bill Kelso
January 16th, 2011, 03:32
Thanks, mate!

I've been playing with the "big" FSX textures in the meantime and started creating the grey shades for the blank metal base:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/T-Bird/Xafcs2.jpg

It's the first time for me to work with DXT5/DDS and specular maps, but despite several attempts, I didn't get any shine at all!
Is it possible that the FSDS 3.5.1 model doesn't support any specular or reflective shine?
This "dull" surface will work great with camo paints (I might try a German Luftwaffe bird), but this baby would need some more gloss...

Cheers,
Markus.

scotsman
January 16th, 2011, 07:51
(I might try a German Luftwaffe bird)

I really hoped someone would give that a try !!:wiggle:

Mike

HenryW
January 16th, 2011, 08:00
Well it works for me:

BTW, thanks to you and Ed for the base and conversion to psd!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33b.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33a.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33c.jpg

Wild Bill Kelso
January 16th, 2011, 08:17
Henry:
That's some good news - your CT-133 Silver Star WIP looks very promising! :jump:
I think I'll set my AFCS bird on hold until yours is out and then take a deeper look into your spec map...
I've always preferred learning from the masters! :wavey:

@ Mike:
Until I'll get this shine issue sorted out, my spray cans will get filled with
- RAL 7012 Basaltgrau,
- RAL 6014 Gelboliv and
- RAL 7001 Silbergrau
to create some GAF camo chunks...

Cheers,
Markus.

Bjoern
January 16th, 2011, 10:04
I think it depends on which model you use. Some of them are reflective, some aren't.

As for spec maps, I find that a simply desaturated copy of the main texture works quite well and is quick to do.
If run through a Normal Map generator, that desaturated copy also makes for a good bump map.

scotsman
January 16th, 2011, 11:29
@ Markus: great! And not to forget some of that orange markings typical for the early GAF color schemes:salute:

Mike

HenryW
January 16th, 2011, 11:54
Henry:
That's some good news - your CT-133 Silver Star WIP looks very promising! :jump:
I think I'll set my AFCS bird on hold until yours is out and then take a deeper look into your spec map...
I've always preferred learning from the masters! :wavey:

@ Mike:
Until I'll get this shine issue sorted out, my spray cans will get filled with
- RAL 7012 Basaltgrau,
- RAL 6014 Gelboliv and
- RAL 7001 Silbergrau
to create some GAF camo chunks...

Cheers,
Markus.

Thanks! But those paints are without spec and bumpmapping. Just some alpha and thats it:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33bb.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33aa.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33cc.jpg

DennyA
January 16th, 2011, 14:51
I'm so excited to see you guys doing the new FSX textures! I ran across the first part of this topic and was itching to point out that there had been an FSX SDK conversion done, but I see that it finally came up. :) Tim's T-33 holds up really well in the FSX world, and I can't wait to see the plane with some really hi-res natural metal textures!

Wild Bill Kelso
January 17th, 2011, 09:26
@ Henry:
Are you using Acceleration/SP2?
The base model's readme states "It is a native FSX SP2/A model and will only work in FSX SP2/A."

I'm currently running FSX/SP1 - could this be the reason for the lacking shine?
Alpha channel was set to nearly "full black" but no luck...

@ Mike:
Of course the german T-Bird will bear some decent dayglo parts!
Just grabbed the F-40 magazine - plenty of nice pics included....

Cheers,
Markus.

Shane Strong CYHZ
January 17th, 2011, 10:10
is there a link to this new paintkit i cant seem to find it
thanks

Radioman123
January 17th, 2011, 10:56
The current FSX model based on FSDS 3.5.1 conversion only supports mat or shiny textures. It is one of the limitations of the conversion to native FSX. I tried using FSDS Tweak to fix that but with no success. If one would like to try please email me a private message and I will send you the source code. I am planning in the spring to convert the entire model to GMAX which will solve the issue but that will be time consuming.

Regards

Radioman123

Bone
January 17th, 2011, 11:22
The current FSX model based on FSDS 3.5.1 conversion only supports mat or shiny textures. It is one of the limitations of the conversion to native FSX. I tried using FSDS Tweak to fix that but with no success. If one would like to try please email me a private message and I will send you the source code. I am planning in the spring to convert the entire model to GMAX which will solve the issue but that will be time consuming.

Regards

Radioman123

If you have the time/inclination, and since you have the source code, could you make the canopy bow more rounded instead of it's current hex shape. I love the model, and rounding out the canopy bow (as it looks from inside the VC) would be a huge improvement.

HenryW
January 18th, 2011, 12:08
@ Henry:
Are you using Acceleration/SP2?
The base model's readme states "It is a native FSX SP2/A model and will only work in FSX SP2/A."

Cheers,
Markus.

Shane Strong: The paintkit is here in the SOHO library.

Yes SP2, but if you have the t-33a_fsx_2010.zip onstalled, the package contains to models. One with no shine at all and another with. You can see the example here in the BAF repaint:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33B1.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33B-1.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33Ja.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/t33N.jpg

Prowler1111
January 18th, 2011, 13:00
Are these magnificent textures available somewhere?

Prowler

Radioman123
January 19th, 2011, 08:07
The pictures show what I was mentioning which is the models in the download support full shine or mat but not the more subtle effects that I was looking. For full shine just use one of the "shine" models as described in the readme.

Repainting:
There are a number of models with different reflectivities due to limitations in FSDS 3.5 for FSX only allowing fully reflective or matt textures.

These are:
default -- inside of tanks - matt, outside fully reflective; antiglare, matt; rest of fuselage, reflective.
camo -- fully flat -- applied to NASA and FAC
rok -- fuselage and wings -- fully reflective, tanks -- fully flat
fis -- aircraft fully reflective

Hopefully, this will help repainters chose the right model to use.

What I was referring to is a dynamic shine that is what one would see on a matt surface with the sun glancing off of it. FSDS 3.5.1 in FSX does not support such effects but 3-D MAX or GMAX will with the materials editor.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Radioman123

Radioman123
January 19th, 2011, 08:11
I currently have the latest source code and it can be changed. Do you have a picture or something so that I can get it correct?

Thanks.

Regards

Radioman123

Bone
January 19th, 2011, 09:41
I currently have the latest source code and it can be changed. Do you have a picture or something so that I can get it correct?

Thanks.

Regards

Radioman123

I can't tell you how excited I am with your positive attitude about this. Here's a couple of pics. I'll look around for some pics that show what the bow looks like with the canopy closed. Hopefully, I'll find some.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-33.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-33A1.jpg

This one is quite different. It's a one piece windscreen instead of the type with a port hole in the front.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-33shootingstar1.jpg

Bone
January 19th, 2011, 10:21
Here's some more, but the pickings are slim:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-333.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-33bw-photo-75.jpg

Bone
January 19th, 2011, 10:44
These are the best canopy down shots I could come up with.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/t-33Nellis20468.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-333a.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj299/theBone11/T-33ct133c.jpg

HenryW
January 19th, 2011, 11:53
Are these magnificent textures available somewhere?

Prowler

Hi!
I will upload the textures here at SOHO. They need some more work first.

My problem is that either they shine too much or no shine at all. Something between woukd be nice.

BTW thanks a million to Radioman for doing this job for the T-33, very much appreciated. :jump:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/ba.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/278.jpg

Bone
January 19th, 2011, 12:04
HenryW, those are very nice. If the canopy bow is fixed back to an original rounded shape, I hope you or some of the other guys that have made great paints will generate the appropriate VC textures for compatability.

spatialpro
January 19th, 2011, 13:01
At the same time, would it possible to make the nose more rounded? In the VC the nose looks very pointed.

A little shading in the VC textures would also be wonderful!

wilycoyote4
January 19th, 2011, 13:54
Don't know if I'm helping but here is a static display T-33.

Shane Strong CYHZ
January 19th, 2011, 14:14
thanks do you have a general file name to find the paintkit i looked in the libary and could not find it sorry to be a pain :)

Radioman123
January 19th, 2011, 17:53
Thanks for the Pix. It will take about a week to do this given that I have a full time job as a senior engineer.

Fixing the in between shininess is much more difficult as that has to be embedded in the materials files. FSDS 3.5.1 natively does not support that. I have had mixed results with FSDS Tweak but the real solution is another conversion to a richer tool (3D Max or GMAX) which is not straight forward.

Regards

Radioman123

DennyA
January 19th, 2011, 22:00
FYI, there's a new T-33 model by Massimo Taccoli at Flightsim.com.

However, despite listing it as being for FSX SP2, it's an FS8 .mdl file, so it'll suffer from frame-rate/DX10 issues under FSX.

But mentioning it in case anyone who runs DX9 mode wants to check it out. Personally, I'll stick with Tim/Radioman's awesome model, which is going to be a much better option for FSX pilots.

(And ooooh, I want that Blue Angels texture!)

CavOk
January 20th, 2011, 06:34
With regard to the new Massimo Taccoli T Bird the model and indeed the cockpit look identical to Tim's. Am I correct?

Bjoern
January 20th, 2011, 07:26
Fixing the in between shininess is much more difficult as that has to be embedded in the materials files. FSDS 3.5.1 natively does not support that. I have had mixed results with FSDS Tweak but the real solution is another conversion to a richer tool (3D Max or GMAX) which is not straight forward.

Well, "shinyness" is not set in the material properties per se anymore; that's what specular maps are for.

So instead of having n+1 materials using one and the same texture, but with different levels of shine set, you can just have one material with an allround setting and leave it up to the texture artist to make the model reflective or not.

Also, getting FSDS files into GMax is, as fatr as I know, next to impossible. Even 3DS Max <-> Gmax is a PITA already, and they're in the same family of 3D modeling programs!

So I strongly suggest looking into cutting down the variety of models to one and leaving it up to the repainters to get the most out of the textures.

falcon409
January 20th, 2011, 18:04
With regard to the new Massimo Taccoli T Bird the model and indeed the cockpit look identical to Tim's. Am I correct?
No, not correct. In so far as the model is of a T-33 and the cockpit looks similar to a T-33, they look somewhat like Tim's but "Identical" is stretching it quite a bit. There has, up to this point (including the latest offering) been nothing comparable to Tim's T-33.:salute:

Wild Bill Kelso
January 21st, 2011, 06:23
...Repainting:
There are a number of models with different reflectivities due to limitations in FSDS 3.5 for FSX only allowing fully reflective or matt textures.

These are:
default -- inside of tanks - matt, outside fully reflective; antiglare, matt; rest of fuselage, reflective.
camo -- fully flat -- applied to NASA and FAC
rok -- fuselage and wings -- fully reflective, tanks -- fully flat
fis -- aircraft fully reflective

Thanks for pointing this out!
But to me it seems as if all of these models do show no reflections at all in a "non-accelerated" FSX install (tried out all of them). Can this be possible?
Luckily enough, I have the Acceleration DVD on my shelf (de-installed it a while ago for some odd reasons...), so I'd better proceed the upgrade right now!

Cheers,
Markus.

Daube
January 21st, 2011, 07:09
The display in SP2 or in Acceleration should be the same.

HenryW
January 22nd, 2011, 10:10
I really wish it could be possible to turn down the reflections a few tads :monkies:

Shane Strong: Look for T-33_Textures_PSD.zip uploaded by Wild Bill Kelso

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/rcaf.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/Paki.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/Fae.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/Dan.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/caf.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/Wyrneh/Jetfighters/USAF.jpg

Radioman123
January 27th, 2011, 07:42
I am making progress on the canopy reshaping. See the attached picture. It is not finished but coming along. In the picture only the left side is down.

Also the control on reflections will much better when the model gets converted over to GMAX. I have already done the first conversion but it is a long process.

Radioman123

Bone
January 27th, 2011, 07:58
I am making progress on the canopy reshaping. See the attached picture. It is not finished but coming along. In the picture only the left side is down.

Also the control on reflections will much better when the model gets converted over to GMAX. I have already done the first conversion but it is a long process.

Radioman123

Great news. That's going to be a huge improvement.

hschuit
January 27th, 2011, 09:27
Radioman123 & HenryW, you guys are going to make a lot of people happy :medals:
And please stay with us here in the SOH; we already lost some of the best contributors lately like Piglet and Dag who are "taking a break" now...

mmann
January 27th, 2011, 09:39
I really wish it could be possible to turn down the reflections a few tads :monkies:

Where can I find the T-33_Textures_PSD.zip file. I checked here at SOH but can't locate it!!

Regards, Mike Mann

Daube
January 27th, 2011, 09:53

Radioman123

Great job !!
With this reshaping, and a good repainting, this virtual cockpit will look just great ! :ernae:

skyblazer3
January 27th, 2011, 10:15
I can't tell you how happy this thread makes me.
:salute::salute::salute:

Chris

delta_lima
January 27th, 2011, 17:00
AWESOME!!!

I can't believe I've only just got to this thread. I know, I should work less and play more.

Henry and RM - this looks outstanding. Those CF birds bring back memories of AETE in Cold Lake ... sigh Sadly, lost all my cockpit shots of the '133 I took.

Looking forward to this in a huge way.

dl

YoYo
January 27th, 2011, 23:35

Hello, I cant find Your nice skins, here on SOH no: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&sort=d&pp=15
no in Avsim and Flightsim.

falcon409
January 28th, 2011, 04:01
The "Skins" you quote in your post. . .the PSD files. . .that is the paint kit I did for the T-33 converted to PSD format for those who use Photoshop for repaints. Henry can correct me here if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe the skins he shows have been posted yet.:salute:

mmann
January 28th, 2011, 04:46
The "Skins" you quote in your post. . .the PSD files. . .that is the paint kit I did for the T-33 converted to PSD format for those who use Photoshop for repaints. Henry can correct me here if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe the skins he shows have been posted yet.:salute:

I can't find this Photoshop paint kit anywhere on SOH, or was it not uploaded?

Regards, Mike Mann

YoYo
January 28th, 2011, 08:48
Vertigo Studios starts with model of T-33!

http://www.vertigostudios.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?112-Lockheed-T33-its-official

HenryW
January 28th, 2011, 09:53
Hello, I cant find Your nice skins, here on SOH no: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=3&sort=d&pp=15
no in Avsim and Flightsim.

They are not uploaded yet, but the psd files shoulf be here at the library

Shane Strong CYHZ
January 28th, 2011, 10:48
with all the help i cant find the psd files eigther if someone comes across them can you post a link
thanks

falcon409
January 28th, 2011, 10:51
I can't find this Photoshop paint kit anywhere on SOH, or was it not uploaded?
Regards, Mike Mann
Yes, it was uploaded for both the PSP format (Paint Shop Pro) and PSD (Photoshop). A week ago I could have told you exactly where it was. . .now. . .after 15 minutes of searching several different areas. . .I don't have a clue where they are.:salute:

Bjoern
January 28th, 2011, 11:02
After five minutes of searching, trying and cursing:

1. "Warbirds Library"
2. "Add-Ons Index"
3. "Search Add-Ons Library"
4. Mark "exact phrase" below the search field
5. Enter "T-33" in the search field
6. Hit "Search"
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

And now: PAINT IT!

;) :d

P.S: The paintkits are in the FS9 section. :P

mmann
January 28th, 2011, 13:05
After five minutes of searching, trying and cursing:

1. "Warbirds Library"
2. "Add-Ons Index"
3. "Search Add-Ons Library"
4. Mark "exact phrase" below the search field
5. Enter "T-33" in the search field
6. Hit "Search"
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

And now: PAINT IT!

;) :d

P.S: The paintkits are in the FS9 section. :P

Thanks for the tip, I finally found it!!

Actually if I have some scenery files that I don't want to share with others, I could just upload them here and tell people I have already uploaded the files. Best of luck to them trying to get them!!

Regards, Mike Mann

Radioman123
January 29th, 2011, 21:16
Here is an update on the Canopy Reshaping. Still working some details but it is coming along nicely. Will post next week.

Regards

Radioman123

Bone
January 30th, 2011, 00:17
Ah, mucho bueno.

Are you going to have this in the original fs9 compatible model also?

Radioman123
January 30th, 2011, 18:56
At the moment, the reshaping is only in the FSX SP2 model as the compile path is set up to only do that.

Regards

Radioman123

Radioman123
February 6th, 2011, 22:18
I finished the VC canopy reshaping and it looks good. It will be posted in a few days as an update in the warbirds library.

Regards

Radioman123

skyblazer3
February 6th, 2011, 23:43
We do appreciate it; Thank you so much.
:salute::salute:

Radioman123
February 10th, 2011, 21:00
The T-33VC Canopy Reshaping is finally ready. With help from fsdstweak from Dave Nunez and Rick Piper's mini tut, I was able to finally add shine control and dynamic shine to the model. I will be posting it over the weekend if things go well. Here are some pics that show off both. This is the effect that I was trying to get.

Radioman123

HenryW
February 10th, 2011, 21:16
Whoa! Thanks!

skyblazer3
February 10th, 2011, 22:29
Fantastic -- I'm holding my breath for the updated model and the new paint jobs.

Thank you all so much.
:salute::salute:

Bjoern
February 11th, 2011, 08:11
With help from fsdstweak from Dave Nunez and Rick Piper's mini tut, I was able to finally add shine control and dynamic shine to the model.

You mean spec maps, right?

Anyways, congratulations on the new canopy frame! Looks better indeed!

Radioman123
February 13th, 2011, 14:38
The revised T-33 has been uploaded to SOH American Aircraft.
Revision A includes the following:

1. revised VC canopy
2. EW-133 aircraft
3. specular mapping
4. Additional textures by Henry W. (10 aircraft choices).

Thanks all for the interest in this aircraft.

Regards

Radioman123