PDA

View Full Version : Happy Summer Solstice!

Ghostrider
June 21st, 2010, 10:35
Longest day of the year!

Superfortress is coming along nicely - still dying in the range department, though... I need to increase the range by a factor of about 15 - open to any and all suggestions. Trying to keep my mouse hand from clicking that "unlimited fuel" button!

Jagdflieger
June 21st, 2010, 11:00
Happy solstice back at ya.

Sounds like you've exhausted all the tricks on the fuel flow. I'll bet the designers of CFS 2 never anticipated flying to Tokyo and back from the Marianas.

Is there a section in the air file for octane? The US warplanes in WWII used 105/130 octane fuel which was an order above what was available to the Axis. In fact, I don't think that it's been refined or available since the end of the prop era in civil transportation in the 70s. Given that, perhaps the designers of our flight sim based their fuel efficiency projections on the lower 95 (appx) octane fuel common in today's aero market. At any rate, that higher octane AVGAS might be what you need to squeeze those extra few miles out of a tank of gas.

Ghostrider
June 21st, 2010, 15:29
Yeah, I was reading about the R-3350, and 59.5 inches of MP and 3400 HP possible with 115/145 or better octane fuels, which are no longer available!

But I'm not squeezing extra miles, I'm off by orders of magnitude. I still think I have something very wrong somewhere... Maybe it's just that unlimited fuel box not being checked :icon_lol:.

Anyway, I also read in a B-29 pilot's book that with a full load, the takeoff was "a struggle for airspeed", and flight was a "struggle for altitude". I think I've got that going pretty well in the .air and .cfg, if I can just figure out this range thing.