PDA

View Full Version : Area 51 Update on C-5M and C-17

strykerpsg
June 21st, 2010, 06:45
All,

The latest from Area 51......good news, hopefully!

http://area51sim.com/cancelled.html

Matt

dogfish
June 21st, 2010, 07:18
that is great news, i have the c-5 love it.

strykerpsg
June 21st, 2010, 07:33
All,

The latest from Area 51......good news, hopefully!

http://area51sim.com/cancelled.html

Matt

Also, please note they are seeking a gauge developer, so, anyone seeking additional challenges welcome to apply. If I knew how, I would certainly apply.

XLR8
June 21st, 2010, 09:02
I seen a Thread over at simhq complaining about some stuff at area 51. I wanted to buy the cobra from them but got a little nervous after read the thread .

Has anyone tried this company and the cobra helicopter ?

flaviossa
June 21st, 2010, 09:07
I have the kiowa from them, and donīt have any problems with it. The model is really beautiful. It has very basic systems but not a surprise after the buying. If you want a plane just to go from here to there ... them go for it. Nothing more! :salute:

XLR8
June 21st, 2010, 09:14
Thank you .

b52bob
June 21st, 2010, 09:21
not bad if you know what you are not getting PMDG or Capt Sim quality. VC very sparse and basic, externals nice. I would say old Alphasim quality at the old Alphasim price

strykerpsg
June 21st, 2010, 09:24
I seen a Thread over at simhq complaining about some stuff at area 51. I wanted to buy the cobra from them but got a little nervous after read the thread .

Has anyone tried this company and the cobra helicopter ?

I think the one thing to remember is what they stated in their intial shotgun blast when they were cancelling the C-5M patch is that they are great looking exteriors but lack the sophistication of more complex models like Captainsim and PMDG. They are filling the niche that Alphasim has let go of, in my opinion. Heck, plan on getting their latest AH-1Z and UH-1Y to help fill out my Helitraffic AI, plus flitting around Fort Lewis when Orbx release their latest patch for PNW. :wiggle:

Matt

strykerpsg
June 21st, 2010, 09:26
not bad if you know what you are not getting PMDG or Capt Sim quality. VC very sparse and basic, externals nice. I would say old Alphasim quality at the old Alphasim price

Agree with Bob, though think their exteriors look a bit better than AS.

Matt

AndyE1976
June 21st, 2010, 11:05
I have their cobra and although it doesn't get much flight time, it's a perfectly reasonable model from my recollection. There's been so many good releases lately that it has sat in the hanger.

It may not be up to the very highest standards, but it certainly didn't leave me thinking that I would never by an Area51 product again.

I got it on a flight sim deal of the day a few months back, which is a great way to try out developers products without spending too much money.

I may have to check out the C5 and C17 once they're finished, although they aren't types that are high on my 'want' list.

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 11:40
. . . . .I may have to check out the C5 and C17 once they're finished, although they aren't types that are high on my 'want' list.
You might want to check again, as per an earlier thread that was closed, the C-17 project was canceled.:salute:

Cag40Navy
June 21st, 2010, 11:49
You might want to check again, as per an earlier thread that was closed, the C-17 project was canceled.:salute:
Not to come off rude unless you already read, they have restarted both projects...

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 13:41
Not to come off rude unless you already read, they have restarted both projects...
Think I'll stay off the forums for awhile everything I post is wrong lately. Just going by what was posted earlier.

Cag40Navy
June 21st, 2010, 14:09
Think I'll stay off the forums for awhile everything I post is wrong lately. Just going by what was posted earlier.
We all have our times.

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 14:25
One last post. Let's not have this go the direction the previous thread went. Keep on topic with the C-5 and C-17. Thanks!:salute:

Bone
June 21st, 2010, 14:32
I think you're a pretty honorable guy Falcon.

strykerpsg
June 21st, 2010, 17:11
One last post. Let's not have this go the direction the previous thread went. Keep on topic with the C-5 and C-17. Thanks!:salute:

Falcon,I too have always thought you are a great contributor to this forum as well. I posted the original thread that got locked and re-posted this one. During the course of about four days, they changed their minds and have begun work again on the C-5M patch and C-17. Me personally, more interested in their C-5M. Anyway, my apologies for it appearing to look like a re-post of the same subject.

Matt

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 17:23
Hey, not a problem really. This is new information and deserves a new thread. I don't frequent that site at all and only followed that one link that gave the notice that future work on the C-17 was terminated. Glad to see they've had a change of heart. . .more power to em', hopefully they can keep the bad blood at bay and have a good release without further problems.:salute:

peter12213
June 22nd, 2010, 03:55
I have to say i have everything released by these guys and consider them to be an excellent company, the first cobra they did, was a litttle basic but the Kiowa and AH1-Z and Galaxy were excellent even if I rarly fly the C-5, but as I have said there modern Helo's are brilliant, can't wait for the C-17 as i'm one of the dare I say it? "fools" that bought the Alphasim model thinking the VC was not very far off!

strykerpsg
June 22nd, 2010, 05:57
I have to say i have everything released by these guys and consider them to be an excellent company, the first cobra they did, was a litttle basic but the Kiowa and AH1-Z and Galaxy were excellent even if I rarly fly the C-5, but as I have said there modern Helo's are brilliant, can't wait for the C-17 as i'm one of the dare I say it? "fools" that bought the Alphasim model thinking the VC was not very far off!

Pete, how do you like the AS C-17? I know the VC is missing still, but have seriously mulled over in my mind the purchase of this great looking bird. I know they are rumored to be re-releasing this under the Flight1 wrapper and just looking for some candid feedback from you without turning this thread into an AS bashing.

Matt

peter12213
June 22nd, 2010, 06:28
Pete, how do you like the AS C-17? I know the VC is missing still, but have seriously mulled over in my mind the purchase of this great looking bird. I know they are rumored to be re-releasing this under the Flight1 wrapper and just looking for some candid feedback from you without turning this thread into an AS bashing.

Matt

Ahh mate I think you misunderstand let me get one thing straight the Alphasim C-17 is a great model and an excellent FDE, infact I can't find fault at all with the flight dynamics, I just felt like a fool for buying it under the impression that the Vc was only weeks away upon its initial release!
In no way do I or ever have "Bashed" Alphasim, infact they were once my favourite developer and I do infact miss there releases of some quality and great aircraft titles!

strykerpsg
June 22nd, 2010, 06:57
Ahh mate I think you misunderstand let me get one thing straight the Alphasim C-17 is a great model and an excellent FDE, infact I can't find fault at all with the flight dynamics, I just felt like a fool for buying it under the impression that the Vc was only weeks away upon its initial release!
In no way do I or ever have "Bashed" Alphasim, infact they were once my favourite developer and I do infact miss there releases of some quality and great aircraft titles!

Pete, my apologies at not stating myself correctly. I wasn't implying you might start bashing, just fear of others wanting to do that. I too have been awaiting the release of their VC before purchasing and haven't seen many talk about their like or dislike of the bird on this forum is all. Thanks for the feedback.

Matt

michael davies
June 22nd, 2010, 11:29
I'll be as candid as I reasonably can, the AS C-17 has been a most convoluted and akward evolution, not just since initial release but from day one. It is no small miracle it even got this far and I'll be openly honest, it was never intended to mislead customers about the VC. When released it was fully intended that the VC would follow very closely behind, sadly it didn't.

I have however been assured it is still in progress, but, for those still undecided I'd be cautious and await further official news. If Alphasim have their business head on (and they do sometimes :) ) they'd ensure the package is complete before Area 51 IMHO.

peter12213
June 23rd, 2010, 01:48
Well as soon as Area51's is out its getting its vc put straight into the alphasim model because I think the alpha model just can't be beaten on the flight dynamics front!

Bone
June 23rd, 2010, 06:14
Well as soon as Area51's is out its getting its vc put straight into the alphasim model because I think the alpha model just can't be beaten on the flight dynamics front!

I've heard people mention that you can use one model's VC in another model, but I haven't tried it. Is it a pnl cfg command, kind of like what is in the Sound folder when you alias sound?

peter12213
June 23rd, 2010, 07:19
I've done it before, all you do is swap out pannel.cfgs and add the appropriate texture files to a common texture folder and it works!