PDA

View Full Version : MAI-890 Ultralight Released

Piglet
June 20th, 2010, 20:50
Just uploaded my Aviatika MAI-890 Ultralight biplane.
Enjoy!

falcon409
June 20th, 2010, 20:53
Ohhhhhhhh. . .outstanding Tim. . .this came quietly in the night, lol. Thanks for your hard work, it's much appreciated.:salute:

Cirrus N210MS
June 20th, 2010, 20:53
looks like fun:salute:

Cag40Navy
June 20th, 2010, 22:19
Thank you Tim! :applause: :jump: :ernae:

anatolpopov
June 20th, 2010, 23:40
Thanks you very much!

T-50
June 21st, 2010, 00:02
Where i can download this?

Daube
June 21st, 2010, 01:47
Cool ! Thanks a lot Tim :ernae:

Cleartheprop
June 21st, 2010, 01:54
That's great news ! Another Piglet's jewel in my FSX Sky! Thanks! :ernae:

Cazzie
June 21st, 2010, 02:20
Just looked for it, couldn't find it. Rats. I'm out on the bike while it's still earth before it becomes hades. Goona be a HOT one in Southside VA today.

Caz

Ferry_vO
June 21st, 2010, 02:33
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=39&linkid=2167

:)

Cag40Navy
June 21st, 2010, 02:50

It isnt showing up for me...

flaviossa
June 21st, 2010, 03:24
Not there for me too. The new library is a little confusing isnīt it? :icon_eek:

bushpilot
June 21st, 2010, 03:48
I don't see it either, I think somebody has to push "approve-button":salute:

Looks hot, thanks Piglet!

Helldiver
June 21st, 2010, 03:50
This needless, complicated setup that they have now, just to download an aircraft is utterly ridiculous.
Don't you love it when you go through all the mechniation as to getting a download and all you get is :
"There is nothing here to show you (no permission, all entries hidden, etc)"
I give up. - I'll just wait until it gets on FlightSim.

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 04:03
Yea, I have to say, with all the changes that were made to make SOH a top notch Flightsim site. . .the download area was much better the old way. You can't search by author anymore like you could before which made it very easy to locate files and the "what's new" section doesn't really show "What's New".

The odd part in all this (and there is probably an explanation), that if you are one doing the uploading, the minute the upload is complete, you can see the new upload in the correct section it was uploaded to. . .but no one else can, not even, like in the case above, you give the correct link.

bushpilot
June 21st, 2010, 04:10
the minute the upload is complete, you can see the new upload in the correct section it was uploaded to. . .but no one else can, not even, like in the case above, you give the correct link.

Yeah surprised me also. First I thought that it was cool to have the files in the library right away, but it turned out that nobody else saw them...

bushpilot
June 21st, 2010, 05:31
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=147545 :salute::salute:

Ferry_vO
June 21st, 2010, 05:34
I don't see it either, I think somebody has to push "approve-button":salute:

Must be an admin/mod thingy.. Guess you'll have to wait until Douglas approves the dwonload.

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 05:36
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=147545 :salute::salute:
Thanks BP, pretty bad when flightsim.com has it posted before SOH, lol:salute:

Marvin Carter
June 21st, 2010, 05:45
Thanks Tim!!!

grunau_baby
June 21st, 2010, 05:55
How I hate being at work...:banghead:

Thanks Tim!!!
Alex

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 06:32
Took an early morning flight from Tillamook north towards Astoria in the "Black Ops" version, lol.
About 5nm north of Nehalem Bay State and at 4000ft over the coastal mountains I cut the engine and turned south again to make a deadstick landing at Nehalem. Nice airplane Tim. . .what a great plane for looking over the scenery below. Notice the configuration of the side view? That's "straight and level" flight. If I trim to what looks straight and level, it's actually gaining 600fpm.

Tim-HH
June 21st, 2010, 07:20
Great work! Thanks a lot Tim :applause:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/Tim-HH/UL.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/Tim-HH/UL2.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q108/Tim-HH/UL3.jpg

Greetings
Tim

halvar342
June 21st, 2010, 08:13
I never thought much about Ultralightplanes. But thats another Piglet-Plane in my hangar and im sure i will thinking about UltraLights in the Future. Thanks for that Tim. Great work. :salute:

Tartuffe
June 21st, 2010, 08:36
Many Thanks, Tim !

:applause:

txnetcop
June 21st, 2010, 09:01
Sweet covert OPS ultralight! Landed in the grass behind a drug lord mfg locale at dawn. Now to shut it down! Thanks Tim I love it!
Ted

Roger
June 21st, 2010, 11:23
Brilliant Tim:ernae:

Needs a sticky!

Cazzie
June 21st, 2010, 11:25

Thanks a heap Ferry. :ernae:

gradyhappyg
June 21st, 2010, 11:49
Another great plane Tim many thanks.
And Buddy thanks you for not forgetting the dog treats. Even though we both won't fit in this ULA I allways give him one when I land.

peter12213
June 21st, 2010, 13:08
Great idea on this one, really fun to fly, thanks a lot!

oakfloor
June 21st, 2010, 14:24
What? when I go to the down load link all I get is a little 1140 byte file without a cover that wont open, can anyone give me the correct link? this is too good to pass up. Thanks.

deathfromafar
June 21st, 2010, 14:28
Man oh man, this little baby is a blast! Thanks again Tim!

Lewis-A2A
June 21st, 2010, 14:55
Great stuff as always Piglet.

Ive got a weekend flight planned already, just need the weekend to get here now :ernae:

Dexdoggy
June 21st, 2010, 15:29
Yet another awesome effort, and much appreciated! :applause::applause::applause:

doublecool
June 21st, 2010, 15:39
Piglet,

What a fun gift :jump: and so well done

As always

Thank you very much Sir

Piglet
June 21st, 2010, 15:52
Glad you all like her!:ernae: This plane is perfect for Track IR users. I love landing her on streets, fields, even carriers.
It's also up at Flightsim.com.

stormtrooper271
June 21st, 2010, 15:58
I managed to land it on a destroyer with an 8 knot head wind.

modelr
June 21st, 2010, 16:30
Took an early morning flight from Tillamook north towards Astoria in the "Black Ops" version, lol.
About 5nm north of Nehalem Bay State and at 4000ft over the coastal mountains I cut the engine and turned south again to make a deadstick landing at Nehalem. Nice airplane Tim. . .what a great plane for looking over the scenery below. Notice the configuration of the side view? That's "straight and level" flight. If I trim to what looks straight and level, it's actually gaining 600fpm.

Which is correct. Having owned and flown a couple different ultralites, I assure you they do fly "nose down" to counteract the huge amount of lift in the wings. They are designed to start flying around 25-35 mph, most even slower, and the only way to counteract that lift is to reduce the incedence in flight. The most fun you can have, legally!

Thanks for this one, Tim! A great aircraft.

modelr
June 21st, 2010, 16:33
What? when I go to the down load link all I get is a little 1140 byte file without a cover that wont open, can anyone give me the correct link? this is too good to pass up. Thanks.

Download it again. If you take to long finding your download to spot, it will do this off some servers. Just replace the file you already have with the new one.

oakfloor
June 21st, 2010, 16:38
Download it again. If you take to long finding your download to spot, it will do this off some servers. Just replace the file you already have with the new one.
Well then I geuss the jokes on me cause this link no worky, no matter how many times I try.

modelr
June 21st, 2010, 16:50
Well then I geuss the jokes on me cause this link no worky, no matter how many times I try.

Must be something on your end. I just tried the SOH link, and it downloads a 16,966 KB file that opens fine. I also downloaded from Flightsim.com, with an identical sized file, just a different name.

The Flightsim.com one is the one that downloaded the small file for me, first, because I was interupted while finding my "save to" spot in my FS hanger. I get this often from Flightsim.com. I simply redownload, and it comes thru properly.

DaveKDEN
June 21st, 2010, 16:53
Definitely my new favorite low and slow VFR sight-seeing ride! Another beauty by Sir Master Conrad.:applause:

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 17:27
Which is correct. Having owned and flown a couple different ultralights, I assure you they do fly "nose down" to counteract the huge amount of lift in the wings. They are designed to start flying around 25-35 mph, most even slower, and the only way to counteract that lift is to reduce the incidence in flight. The most fun you can have, legally!
Great, thanks Don. It wasn't a problem, just one of those Hmmmmmm, things, lol.:salute:

oakfloor
June 21st, 2010, 18:03
Must be something on your end. I just tried the SOH link, and it downloads a 16,966 KB file that opens fine. I also downloaded from Flightsim.com, with an identical sized file, just a different name.

The Flightsim.com one is the one that downloaded the small file for me, first, because I was interupted while finding my "save to" spot in my FS hanger. I get this often from Flightsim.com. I simply redownload, and it comes thru properly.
It worked, just didn't like my down load manager..and wow this is fun. Thanks modelr for the help.

falcon409
June 21st, 2010, 21:31
My personal ride (WIP). . .wanna make sure folks see me comin', lol.

falcon409
June 22nd, 2010, 07:01
Done:salute:

ryanbatc
June 22nd, 2010, 07:32
Can someone help me with the landing? The green arc goes down to 40 kts but I always get the stall horn at about 50, and the actual stall around 45 kts...

Therefore I have issues getting it down in really short fields.

Am I doing something wrong or is this what everyone else has?

falcon409
June 22nd, 2010, 08:01
Pretty close, when I did the dead stick landing, I was squeaking out every ft of altitude I could to get back to the airport and it seemed that at around 42kts it lost lift and dropped.:salute:

Dain Arns
June 22nd, 2010, 08:49
Well my observation about the MAI-890 so far.
I think it's pretty right on.

From my previous experience operating an ultralight, one tended to be concerned about temperature, altitude, and the especially the resulting density altitude. (http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/aft_perf.htm)
Not being snarky here, but we all tend to forget sometimes.
Remember, your 'envelope' is a whole lot smaller than most general aviation planes in an ultralight.
You get a bigger margin of 'error', so to speak in a GA.

Flying an ultralight was all about weight and density altitude for me, way back when.
A real balancing act some days.
Sometimes in the summer, you just didn't have enough air left to work in by afternoon.
I'm sure advances in designs have made that a whole lot better. My experience is from 25 years ago.

But I noticed it yesterday, the MAI-890 was struggling in warmer, and very humid air at around 6000'.
The stall speed was definitely higher than indicated where I was at too.
I checked it at near sea level and it was operating just fine.

I believe Piglet made us a flying machine that will keep you 'honest' about your flying skills and operating within the old envelope, IMHO. :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
June 22nd, 2010, 09:20
Done:salute:

Very visible, Sir. :icon_lol:

I'm kinda partial to this real world paint...

dsGQFttQztQ

falcon409
June 22nd, 2010, 09:29
. . . . .But I noticed it yesterday, the MAI-890 was struggling in warmer, and very humid air at around 6000'. . . . .:icon_lol:
I looked at the specs a few days ago on the manufacturers website and noted that they show the "service ceiling" as 3800m which works out to a bit more than 12,000ft. I guess if you're carrying oxygen that might be fine, but for the sake of a simulation, maybe you just needed to get higher? lol.

Txmmy83
June 22nd, 2010, 09:34
have not downloaded yet
but it sure look like another Piglet classic :applause:

Paintkit ?

BR
Tom

falcon409
June 22nd, 2010, 09:38
Yes, Paint Kit!

oakfloor
June 22nd, 2010, 12:50
Besides me, has anyone noticed that the engine sound is a two cycle? and there appears to be a four cycle rotax four cylinder engine? BTW does anyone remember where that addon with a four cylinder rotax engine is at? Thanks.

ryanbatc
June 22nd, 2010, 13:25
Was it the MiniMax? Made by flight replicas??

Tim-HH
June 22nd, 2010, 13:48
Was it the MiniMax?

It's a great little plane: MiniMax (http://www.flightsim.com/file.php?cm=SEARCH1&fsec=0&fname=fr_minmx.zip) :)

Greetings
Tim

oakfloor
June 22nd, 2010, 15:11
Was it the MiniMax? Made by flight replicas??

Sounds like it, I download the Comco C42 "Ikarus" sport plane with a Rotax 912 flat four 80 HP @ 5,800 RPM engine, and used that sound file.http://www.lightsportaircraftpilot.com/aviatika_experimental_aircraft/index.html

DaveKDEN
June 22nd, 2010, 15:35
One question - does the real deal have flaps? Piglet modeled his with flaps, but I can't seem to locate a site that states either yea or nay. Mind you, if it doesn't actually have flaps, this isn't meant to be a critique of Piglet's design. In fact, I've always been a huge fan of his models. I'm just curious. :ques:

oakfloor
June 22nd, 2010, 15:44
One question - does the real deal have flaps? Piglet modeled his with flaps, but I can't seem to locate a site that states either yea or nay. Mind you, if it doesn't actually have flaps, this isn't meant to be a critique of Piglet's design. In fact, I've always been a huge fan of his models. I'm just curious. :ques:Well the real airplane does not appear to be equipped with flaps.

Piglet
June 22nd, 2010, 19:04
The MAi-890 has no flaps, just full-span ailerons on the lower wing only. The Rotax's I work on at work sound very "two-stroke" like.

jetstreamsky
June 22nd, 2010, 19:14
Super fun machine at low level, fits nicely with the FTX freeware Lilydale beta package of three close airfields.

Made me think about the Bill and Lynn Lyons Quad City Challenger that I used to fly in FS9, so I tracked it down at Flightsim http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=92151

Makes a good companion and has a Rotax sound set included which might be a better choice for Piglet's machine

It works well in FSX, just point the installer to a temporary folder and grab what you want from it. Gauges all work except for the hobbs meter and a GPS. The airspeed surround is see through, but the prop disc works properly in FSX, which was a surprise.

Take off technique is stick full back with full flap and away you go, makes a nice comparison with the MAI-890.

ryanbatc
June 22nd, 2010, 20:10
The MAi-890 has no flaps, just full-span ailerons on the lower wing only. The Rotax's I work on at work sound very "two-stroke" like.

When I activate my key for flaps on my throttle, I get a flap sound with your plane...

hehe

peter12213
June 23rd, 2010, 04:17
When I activate my key for flaps on my throttle, I get a flap sound with your plane...

hehe

Me too it actually slows down too, I think Tim has done this on purpose so you can slow the aircraft down if your not used to flying ultralights which also glide for ages!

oakfloor
June 23rd, 2010, 10:30
Do you work on the 912? if so they dont sound like any two cycle motor I have ever heard. BTW great work.

JoeW
June 23rd, 2010, 12:29
I have Swoop2 in the shop. Should be done tomorrow.

I uploaded an update on this one.

falcon409
June 23rd, 2010, 12:46
Very nice Joe.:salute:

peter12213
June 23rd, 2010, 13:11
I know it sounds crazy but does anyone fancy doing a US Army Airbourne or Socom paint of this, like a kind of Afghan Para spotter or something along those lines, obviously we use drones now but I think thats a quite cool Idea?

JoeW
June 23rd, 2010, 13:56
Very nice Joe.:salute:

Thanks Falcon. Are you going to upload yours?

falcon409
June 23rd, 2010, 16:31
Thanks Falcon. Are you going to upload yours?
No, not something most would be interested in. Yours on the other hand. . .definitely a keeper Joe.:salute:

Piglet
June 23rd, 2010, 17:42
Do you work on the 912? if so they dont sound like any two cycle motor I have ever heard. BTW great work.

Maybe not like a lawnmower, but definately different than the usual Lycomings and Cont's

Cag40Navy
June 23rd, 2010, 19:12
No, not something most would be interested in. Yours on the other hand. . .definitely a keeper Joe.:salute:
Dont say that, i like your paint, Joe likes or paint, could we please let it see the light of day on our FSX's?

oakfloor
June 23rd, 2010, 22:04
Maybe not like a lawnmower, but definately different than the usual Lycomings and Cont'sWell they do turn up to 6,000 RPM so yeah they will scream, they just dont have that air blower sound from the forced fan coooling, if indeed it's fan cooled and not water cooled. Propeller tips going supersonic will buzz too. Anyway Im not complaining, I just got a sound file from a Rotax 912 and Im off to the wild blue, Happy landings.

JoeW
June 24th, 2010, 04:36
Well ...... It's finished.
I'll upload it as soon as I get it packaged.

falcon409
June 24th, 2010, 05:10
Nice job Joe, only problem I have is finding the area that colors the cables and wires from the engine. Mine show green, the same color as the aircraft.:salute:

JoeW
June 24th, 2010, 05:45
I just uploaded it to the GA skins.

Falcon..... in the paint kit, the MAI-890.psd , everything is gray. But the cables are between the top wings on the right side. Find the word" rigging" and it's to the left of that. I left them gray.

I used the paint kit and "swipped" the alpha from one of the included skins.

modelr
June 24th, 2010, 06:21
A smoke trail effect is just available today at Flightsim.com, by Tom Tiedman. My suggestion...
DON'T use this unless you want to make it look like you have an engine fire! These engines do not smoke! At least the 6 that are in my local group don't!

falcon409
June 24th, 2010, 06:41
Thanks Joe, I tried that and I still have green wires. . .take a look at the shot I included. Gonna have to keep hunting for what area is involved here.

JoeW
June 24th, 2010, 07:23
I didn't try to paint them but I think they are here. The spreader bar is there so I think the cable is right where I have it circled.

Maury2008
June 24th, 2010, 07:35
i cannot shutdown the engine.The key work to start but when the engine is running how i cannot stop it.Any other has this problem?

falcon409
June 24th, 2010, 07:42
I didn't try to paint them but I think they are here. The spreader bar is there so I think the cable is right where I have it circled.

Yep, that's the same area I opened up Joe. . .that wiring must be somewhere else. I'll just have to keep removing green from every area that isn't specifically needed for a part, lol.:salute:

Piglet
June 24th, 2010, 19:21
You located it JoeW. All the wing rigging wires are from that grey "bar". Sometimes I forget to label all the parts. Ooops.

falcon409
June 24th, 2010, 19:25
Ok, I'm not talking about the rigging wires, take a close look at the photo I posted. . .see the green wires/cables coming down from the engine alongside the seat and one ends up along the control stick. That's what I'm talking about.:salute:

Marvin Carter
June 24th, 2010, 23:22
Are these Rotax 912s suppost to idle a 2500 rpms?

JoeW
June 25th, 2010, 01:36
Falcon ...... That cable on mine is black ....... The only black on the pattern on mine is this area.

falcon409
June 25th, 2010, 05:55
Found it Joe. . .first pic is the wiring/cable I was talking about (Colored it hot pink so it would show up) and the second is where that color comes from. Anyway, it's fixed.

Piglet
June 25th, 2010, 19:33
Are these Rotax 912s suppost to idle a 2500 rpms?
Prolly not. Air wrench does not control idle RPM very well. May not be AirWrench's fault (I'm no airfile expert!) I also tried to get the prop to stop real quick after shutdown, but still gotta learn about this.
Repainters,
Most of my textures have black/ dark grey squares on them. These are used to quickly paint small simple parts, like wiring, intake holes, antennas, etc.

anthony31
June 26th, 2010, 03:09
Tim

Have a look at Table 509 (I use aircraft airfile manager because it is really easy to adjust the graphs). There are usually 4 points in the this graph and the left 2 are supposed to control the shutdown rate (perhaps someone who knows more about .air files can correct me if I'm wrong). I notice that airwrench has set this to a flat line which probably explains the long time it takes to stop the prop. I've just done a quick fiddle where I set the values to -7,-300 for the left point and 7,300 for the right point which cuts the stop time down to 2 secs. Not sure what other effect the tweak has had yet.

Attached is a pic of how a typical table 509 may look . Like I said, the one in your air file is just a dead flat line.

PS. Thanks for another great peculiar plane.

Marvin Carter
June 26th, 2010, 10:33
I need a better deeper sound for Tims Aviatika MAI-890 Ultralight Biplane.
So I just uploaded this Modified sound files from the Defalt Aircreation 582SL Ultralight Trike here. I have changed some of the parameters and rearranged some sound files to give it a more throatier sound to represent A Rotax 912, I think it sounds better than just the plain Trike sound, Its not exactly like a Rotax 912 but close enough for me, less wind, added a stall buffet instead of a horn, changed the flap sound and got the idle to work. Did this for my self, but thought I would share, Hope you like it. If you do not like it, delete it. Its that "Simple".

kilo delta
June 26th, 2010, 13:56
Another option would be to use the sound from Rick Piper's Aeroprakt A-22...available here (http://www.playhorizon.co.uk/downloads.htm)