PDA

View Full Version : Question for the FSX.cfg guru's

Z-DarthVader
June 19th, 2010, 02:11
Hey there,

I recently switched over from Win XP Pro 32 bits to Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. Is there anything that I should change in my FSX.cfg file to maximize performance??

Thanks for the input guys!

DV

txnetcop
June 19th, 2010, 08:40
HEY DV I need your system specs to include memory speed, exact motherboard and processor, OC'd or not, and video card or cards.
Ted

Z-DarthVader
June 19th, 2010, 22:24
Hey Ted!

Sorry, should've thought about that.

CPU: Q6600 not OC
MoBo: EVGA 680sli
4 Gb RAM 800 Mhz
Nvidia 8800GT w/ 512 Megs
Soundblaster Audigy
Case: Antec Sonata 500 III
Windows7 64 Enterprise

Oh and the FSX has Acceleration, GEX USA and Europe (don't know if this makes a difference)

Looking forward to your advice (and appreciate it highly!)

Thanks in advance for the input mate!

PS: as a network and system admin for the federal govt of my country, I cannot believe that I forgot the specs... :(

txnetcop
June 20th, 2010, 15:47
I have never used Win7 64bit on the older core 2 duo boards so I don't know if there are any compatibility issues as long as you have your BIOS updated. I don't think there will be any real issues at least right now I can't think of any, but I wonder if there are any gains to be made in switching to Win7 with that setup?

Z-DarthVader
June 21st, 2010, 07:33
Well, I see a marked increase in performance overall and a slight increase in FPS in the sims.

But (not wanting to be a drag) is there anything that I should change in the (allready tweaked) FSX.cfg file. I copied the backup that I had from my old XP install.

Thanks for the input Ted!

DV

txnetcop
June 21st, 2010, 08:54
The only changes I made were with affinity and bufferpools on the new Penryn quad cores nothing on the oldercore 2 quads. I did OC my older Q6600 to 3.4Ghz and it made a wonderful difference in FSX. But you really have to keep it cool!!! You might check Nick N's site at Simviation and see what his recommendations are if you still not quite satisfied. One thing that would really help and I hate to mention an expense is a video card with a 448 bit interface and 896MB of VRAM. Win7 reads it beautifully and responds accordingly. I have a MSI GTX 260 Twin FROZR and love that video card. It is one we tested at TechCorp and outshined the Nvidia GTX275 series in gaming. Your Q6600 should be able to handle it a better video card with an OC. If you need help on OCing the 680 with a Q6600 let me know. I would not do it with 8800GT when you OC the processor it also moves up the voltage on the PCI-E slot and get an already hot card even hotter! The MSI TWIN FROZR has two fans and it stays cool when you OC the processor.
Ted

txnetcop
June 21st, 2010, 09:55
LOL I just noticed your E7200 OC at 4.0Ghz I think you can handle the OC on the Q6600 without me. LOL!!!