PDA

View Full Version : FSX SP1 alongside an FSX + Acceleration

ymartel
November 15th, 2008, 11:44
Hello,

Has anybody succeeded in installing on the same computer an FSX with Acceleration alongside a standard FSX SP1?

So far, I can have two FSX SP1 installations, using the FS9 method (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3340&highlight=multiple),
copying a backup of the first SP1 installation. I also make sure to use two different users to avoid mixing up the .CFG files. A minor trouble so far is that they use the same scenery.cfg.

I would like to upgrade one of them into SP2 with Acceleration, but I am still somewhat afraid of the consequences on the other - I want to keep an SP1 to still be able to run older FS9 planes. Has anybody tried the same?

Thanks,
Yannick

GypsyBaron
November 15th, 2008, 12:05
Hello,

Has anybody succeeded in installing on the same computer an FSX with Acceleration alongside a standard FSX SP1?

So far, I can have two FSX SP1 installations, using the FS9 method (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=3340&highlight=multiple),
copying a backup of the first SP1 installation. I also make sure to use two different users to avoid mixing up the .CFG files. A minor trouble so far is that they use the same scenery.cfg.

I would like to upgrade one of them into SP2 with Acceleration, but I am still somewhat afraid of the consequences on the other - I want to keep an SP1 to still be able to run older FS9 planes. Has anybody tried the same?

Thanks,
Yannick

I have both FSX-SP1 and FSX-Acceleration on my machine.

I use the 'rename the .exe' approach and keep both installations
under the same user.

I renamed my Sp1 istall 'FSX-SP1.exe' . That will create a seperate
CFG file with that name.

I forget how I handled the scenery situation and I'm away from my
main machine for a few days. You could keep two seperate 'scenery.cfg' files
in a different location, one for each installation, then just copy the
approriate file to the main scenery.cfg location before firing up the version
you want to run.

I use that approach for my acceleration install, using different scenery.cfg
files for various regions ( USA, Europe, Hawaii, etc ).

Paul

ymartel
November 17th, 2008, 10:17
Thanks, it is working as far as I can see. The only limitation is that I was able to install Acceleration only to the original FSX directory, not to a copy.

Regarding the scenery file, the biggest trouble is that there is a re-generation of indexes everytime I swap "variant" of FSX. I'll try to use several "All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX" directories, swapping them when I switch to another FSX.

Yannick