PDA

View Full Version : How to set revers throttle?

Hanimichal
June 17th, 2010, 15:41
How to set in key or in Saitek Throttle Pro Flight Quadrant the revers throttle?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2213/tbsc213.th.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/tbsc213.jpg/)

PRB
June 17th, 2010, 16:30
This may not be the asnwer you're looking for, but for me it seems that it depends on the plane. For the Alphasim C-7, you just bring the prop (RPM) controls all the way back, at which point the props are in reverse pitch. Then any increase in power makes you go backwards. However, this does not work in the Aerosoft DHC-6 Twin Otter. For that plane, the only way I can go into reverse is to hold the F2 key down. The F2 key is "decrease power quickly", which it does, but then comes up again, with power in the other direction. Wierd. Then if you touch the throttles, it comes out of "reverse mode" and all that power is now instantly being delivered forward. I'm sure others here will have the correct answer!

scott967b
June 17th, 2010, 18:51
Calibrate your Saitek throttle axis lever (use fsuipc or other) so there is a slight "dead" area at the bottom (before you pull back into the "red" range). Then set the control assignment for the lever button (that activates when you pull the lever down into the red zone) to the "decrease throttle quickly" control (normally keyboard F2) and set it to repeat. Repeat for other levers if you use 1 lever per engine.

When you pull the throttle lever to the edge of red zone, you will have idle throttle/thrust. Pull the throttle back to engage reverse and hold to increase thrust to desired or max. When desired reverse thrust is reached, return throttle to idle position. Note that you can later increase reverse thrust, but there is no way to reduce it. When you want to leave reverse, move the throttle slightly advanced from idle and immediately return it (i.e., "blip" the throttle).

Alternatively, using a utility like fsuipc it is possible to program a reverse range into an axis lever. I have not tried this on Saitek, as I don't think there is anyway to create a "detent" to help you find forward or reverse idle so it seems you have to guess (or have good muscle memory).

scott s.

AckAck
June 17th, 2010, 19:14
My Saitek X-45 (sorry, so old school) has a detente there already, but I think you still have to program it using FSUIPC to function properly.

Brian

(EDIT) Actually, I usually fly helicopters, so I have the throttle axis reversed to use it as a collective. Which makes me think that it is actually there as a military/reheat detente, not a reverse prop pitch switchover. In other words - it might be on the wrong end of the throttle travel. If so, please ignore me...

Lionheart
June 18th, 2010, 00:33
This is a debate in sorts as 'some' joysticks support reverse thrust and some dont. One issue from joysticks that have reverse thrust is that when you start a plane with such a joystick, the plane will rocket forward when doing a cold start. This doesnt seem to be with everyone, but a few people have this issue and it drives them nuts. Also, this may only be with turboprops in FSX, perhaps a FSX bug?

F2 works awesome! Then you dont screw up things for other planes. Thats my humble 2 cents, but thats me. Overly conservative in the controls field I guess...

stansdds
June 18th, 2010, 02:12
I use the CH Products Throttle Quadrant and mapped one of the switches on the throttle base to reverse thrust. Works for most aircraft, although some are coded differently and require activation via the virtual cockpit or 2D panel.