PDA

View Full Version : Weather Question

Pips
June 16th, 2010, 16:38
Rather puzzled by the options available. Or I should say their accuracy.

When I go to the weather tab, and choose either Real World - Static or Updated - for my local area (Canberra ACT) I never get what's actually current. For example, at the moment, weather here is totally overcast with rain and squalls, ceiling around 1200m, winds of 25 - 35 knots gusting, viz around 5km. If I click on the Real World Static weather I get unlimited viz, no clouds, light winds under 5 knots! :isadizzy: Even choosing updated still gets me the same incorrect weather pattern.

Is this function a dud?

falcon409
June 16th, 2010, 16:49
I never use static, always updated every 15minutes, I think? Try switching it just for grins.:salute: ooops, just noticed you also said updated. I have always had good luck with that, can't say I've ever had weather that was totally opposite of what was current.

JSkorna
June 16th, 2010, 16:57
Hi,

Though some will claim that FS weather is the bees knees, there are 3rd party weather programs out there that will provide you with much better results!

Thanks,

PRB
June 16th, 2010, 17:05
Ever since FSX came out, I still say that FS9 gives you much more bad weather than FSX does. I have no data or evidence to back that up except anecdotal, which is worthless, but I still think it's true. So after reading Pips' post, I started up FS9 and then FSX, at the same airport (YSCB), and turned on real weather, updated every 15 min. In FS9 I get a howling rain storm, floods, lightning, chaos, tumult, cats and dogs living together, you get the idea. In FSX? A nice pretty day, some clouds!

Pips
June 16th, 2010, 20:55
Thanks Paul, glad I'm not going nuts. :) So it seems others have the same prob. FS9 has nailed it on the head.

Interesting question now is, does the 'real weather' function only work in some countries? Perhaps Oz is too far outta the way. :)

IanHenry
June 16th, 2010, 21:05
Try Active Sky Evaluation, it’s the best weather engine on the market without doubt, far better than the one provided with REX (I have both).
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.
<o:p> </o:p>

nio
June 17th, 2010, 13:11
Erm, I think that is Evolution.

I have it and it provides a close match to local conditions to my mind.

best

nio