PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 PTO Rising Sun A new Theater

rbp71854
June 16th, 2010, 11:13

Greetings fellow PTO enthusiasts
I had excused myself from eto/pto team activities for the last year so that I could pursue self study and development of new theater creation. The 1st of the year I informed the team that I was ready to share what I had done to the team and we could create The Hawaiian Island Chain for purposes of simulating the attack on Pearl Harbor.
We have some very talented folks who are helping with that effort. We also have others who have agreed to contribute to the project.
I have included a wip screenshot of Pearl Harbor. I encourage other team members to post up screenshots of their work todate and to let the community know what portion of the theater they are working on.
There is a lot of work to be done yet and we will let the content and quality drive the scedule and if we are not ready on or about December 7 then we will wait until the team says it is a go for release to the community.
If you have some items that you would like to contribute and include to the project or wish to create something just let myself or Kasey know.
Bob

rbp71854
June 16th, 2010, 11:14
Hawaii Scope of Work

Named “CFS3 PTO Rising Sun”
A standalone theater utilizing stock CFS3 files and selected Solomons files.

Initial release only includes Pearl portion of theater
Tentative initial release date of December 7th 2010
Content and quality drives the schedule not vise versa
Please don't ask if it is done yet.
Test bed/precursor to more detailed theater creation
Document theater creation via editing CFS3TerrainSDK.doc
Build with option to add “2nd wave attack” era swapper
Build with option to add Philippines, South East Asia, and New Guinea Theaters
Installer will copy minimum required files from stock CFS3
Random spawn disabler
Initial release will be rudimentary theater
Scope of work only on Oahu
Facilities to depict only 1st Wave Attack conditions
Future 2nd Wave Attack era and facilities to feature burning/destroyed ships and buildings
Max of 14 airfields initial phase
4 dirt strips temporarily depicted with existing pto landing strip
6 airfields created with only footprint completed.
EWA and NAS Kaneohe Bay candidates for full completion in initial phase
3 seaplane bases/runways

Minimum of 3 IJN drop down carriers set up as static airbases with covering force ships
Place 1 USN aircraft carriers in GL as static airfield.
Ford island footprint created
Ford island ship moorings in gl
Depict only 1st wave attack missions on Ford Island ship moorings and some intercept missions in initial release
Modify ships to have limited defensive fire
If EWA is chosen to be completed, then IJN 1st wave attack missions would be appropriate.
No campaign in initial release
Major, and minor roads, rivers, shipping lane vector and railroads in initial release
Utilize existing Solomons land class with photo imagery Hawaiian terrain mosaics
Option to create Hawaiian mosaics, MOS, landclasses if time permits
Scenery objects, MOS files same for all seasons
Utilize Solomons NEC and other files as appropriate for early pto theater1
Only early pto aircraft

Talon
June 16th, 2010, 15:04
Some ships in the works by Stump.

Talon

captroyce
June 16th, 2010, 18:03
This sounds awesome..really looking forward to the release of this project.

Regards,
Royce

Pat Pattle
June 16th, 2010, 22:02
The ACC have kindly been asked to contribute, here's a few wip shots of Ford Island
(Luke airfield)

New Hangars
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3%20Pearl%20Harbor/PH_Luke_Hangars.jpg
Batchelors Enlisted Quarters (BEQ)
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3%20Pearl%20Harbor/PH_Luke_BEQ.jpg
North side of island
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3%20Pearl%20Harbor/Lukewip100610.jpg
New palm trees & battleship row
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3%20Pearl%20Harbor/Palms.jpg
Officers quarters
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3%20Pearl%20Harbor/Palmsandhouses.jpg

Pat Pattle
June 16th, 2010, 22:21
Meant to say how exciting having another all-new theatre to work in is. Everything fresh and new and lots of ideas to try. Bob Park has done wonders creating the islands, and it's down to his hard work and countless hours making this possible. Iit gives hope for the future of cfs3.:salute:

We've also been experimenting with photo terrain textures. The images have been sampled from aerial photos of Ohau. This shot is very much wip!

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3%20Pearl%20Harbor/Pearl_scenery_wip.jpg

hairyspin
June 16th, 2010, 22:28
...Build with option to add Philippines, South East Asia, and New Guinea Theaters...

Rob, you sly dog, how very interesting! :jump::jump::jump:

marklaur
June 17th, 2010, 00:10
Thanks for the preview shots.

It's good to have another theater coming along.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Cheers

Wyld45
June 17th, 2010, 00:13
All I can say here Gents is "WOW!!!"

I can almost hear the music from the movie in those shots! :applause::applause::applause:

lewis11777
June 17th, 2010, 01:56
This will be a great place to station some of those Catalina's, awesome work!

:jump:

stumpjumper1
June 17th, 2010, 03:53
just testing out a few items is all

Phenozo
June 17th, 2010, 04:03
"Never in the course of simulator history has so much, been owed to so few, by so many."

Surely I am paraphrasing "out of theatre" here, but you guys might be the reason why there is no CFS4.
This work, if known by MS Studios, would be intimidating to say the least. Just look at those palm trees...
let me correct what I just stated, you guys are the reason why we don't need a CFS4!

~S~!

FOO FIGHTER
June 17th, 2010, 05:04
:jawdrop: Oh man, that looks cool!

lewis11777
June 17th, 2010, 06:08
"Never in the course of simulator history has so much, been owed to so few, by so many."

Surely I am paraphrasing "out of theatre" here, but you guys might be the reason why there is no CFS4.
This work, if known by MS Studios, would be intimidating to say the least. Just look at those palm trees...
let me correct what I just stated, you guys are the reason why we don't need a CFS4!

~S~!

Let me correct your correction, "This is CFS4"!

Led Zeppelin
June 17th, 2010, 07:24
I've got to prepare my Kate :d

Old Tiger
June 17th, 2010, 07:51
:jawdrop: Looks like a winner to me:salute::gameon:
:salute:

Talon
June 17th, 2010, 12:42
I've got to prepare my Kate :d

Did you say Kates?Here's some pics of the Kates for Pearl.Skins by Bravo.The Kates will also have the right bombloads and be setup for the type of attack they did at Pearl.

Talon

stumpjumper1
June 17th, 2010, 12:59
oh boy i got to make sure i get me those lol will make testign the new bbs and other pearl ships all the more fun

rbp71854
June 18th, 2010, 20:32
Clive is way to kind with his words. I am thinking that he is spreading the trickle a little too thick.

But let me say a few words about his work on Ford Island. The screenshots do not do justice to what the area looks like in the sim. Todate I have not seen CFS3 vegetation as realistic as Clive has created. Clive's work in the area of terrain mosaics and the use of photo imagery holds great promise and will approach FSX.

Bob

FOO FIGHTER
June 18th, 2010, 21:27
Terrain comaparable to FSX?!!!:jump: :jump: :jump:

And those Kates look awesome too!:salute:

O-1Driver
June 20th, 2010, 06:08
Bob,

What you have accomplished is nothing short of remarkable and is monumental with regard to the continuing health and existence of CFS3.

Until now the only other person in the history of this Sim that was able to create a new theater was Ed Wilson. Ed created MAW, Korea and also Solomons PTO. No one else has ever been able to create a new theater or even understand the complexity of this task.

Congratulations, and with the help of many others I am sure that this new theater will be of the highest quality and surpass every ones expectations.

Best Regards,
Steve

hairyspin
June 20th, 2010, 10:34
Bob,

What you have accomplished is nothing short of remarkable ... Ed created MAW, Korea and also Solomons PTO. No one else has ever been able to create a new theater or even understand the complexity of this task.

This is exactly what some of us had hoped for when Ed's source files were recovered. Good to see our hopes fulfilled. :salute:

Bob, could I ask you to write down how it's done? Whether you make it available for general circulation or just to the theatre team, I'd hate to think we might lose this know-how a second time. :frown:

stumpjumper1
June 20th, 2010, 10:45
testing my uss vestal

stumpjumper1
June 20th, 2010, 10:52
This is exactly what some of us had hoped for when Ed's source files were recovered. Good to see our hopes fulfilled. :salute:

Bob, could I ask you to write down how it's done? Whether you make it available for general circulation or just to the theatre team, I'd hate to think we might lose this know-how a second time. :frown:
i 2nd that would love to know how to do it

rbp71854
June 20th, 2010, 10:54
I didn't have access to Ed's files:( It probably would have made my learning curve shorter! I just had to do alot of experimenting, read many times the TerrainSDK and Martin Wright's write up on theater creation. The big learning curve was in the area of DEMs and Shapefile manipulation and finding a suitable software program to work with the raw data. Plus about $500 worth of software to date.

It is my intention to mark-up/edit the Terrain SDK when I get a chance.

Bob

rbp71854
June 20th, 2010, 10:55
Fantastic Mike, That is a beauty. :)

Bob

testing my uss vestal

Talon
June 20th, 2010, 11:10
testing my uss vestal

Looking good Mike,keep them coming.

Talon

hairyspin
June 20th, 2010, 11:16
...It is my intention to mark-up/edit the Terrain SDK when I get a chance....

Excellent! More power to your elbow! :wavey:

lthump
June 20th, 2010, 19:04
Excellent! More power to your elbow! :wavey:
Just how much have you learned ?? It seems amazing !! How much is it possable to reverse engineer this game, as it was when released , there was so much that was cut off;due to release deadlines; that was meant to go in.Keep up the great work :applause:

fw190
June 21st, 2010, 05:28
Are PTO Rising Sun and the PTO Solomon Islands different projects? Will it be released in a separate installer or be included in the upcoming cummulative installer pto update?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32204&highlight=news

grizzly50
June 22nd, 2010, 05:12
Are PTO Rising Sun and the PTO Solomon Islands different projects? Will it be released in a separate installer or be included in the upcoming cummulative installer pto update?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=32204&highlight=news

:kilroy:Fw190, they are separate projects.:d

fw190
June 22nd, 2010, 08:27
Thanks for the info grizzly50. Nice to know that a new PTO project is being worked upon :ernae:

CrisGer
June 22nd, 2010, 09:10
Wonderful to see this happening, thank you to all the team.

11015 (http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6821/pearl3g.jpg)

11018 (http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2302/pearlafter.jpg)

CrisGer
June 22nd, 2010, 09:12

CrisGer
June 22nd, 2010, 09:13

stumpjumper1
June 24th, 2010, 18:46
uss maryland my setting are low on this pc my main gamer is inthe middle of being added to the vc im building

rbp71854
June 26th, 2010, 05:05
Work continues on the theater. Have placed the IJN task force into the global layer.

Also have completed placing all the ships moored in the harbor into the Global Layer. Some are placeholders until low poly ships are created. May have to trade off FPS to amount of ships placed into the harbor.

Bob

stumpjumper1
June 26th, 2010, 21:36
these have goen to rpb for testing to compare on better fram rates