Anyone familiar with this project?

http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=548

VCN-1

peter12213
June 16th, 2010, 03:52
Anyone familiar with this project?

http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=548

VCN-1

It was just unvailed if you like, this week by Martyn from Just Flight, I think there including carriers too!

txnetcop
June 16th, 2010, 04:21
Exciting news for sure!!!
Ted

Helldiver
June 16th, 2010, 06:40
Nicely modeled but at $40 bucks a copy it's to rich for me. The tail hook is too narrow and the one that's shown would have cut through the wires like butter.
The movie shown, shows that at flank speed, the carrier will climbing the mountains ahead of it. The Wildcat shown is about to get tangled up with the barrier.
This was the first monoplane fighter aircraft I ever saw when my Uncle Sam flew his F4-F into Boston Airport before it became Logan Airport. He said the landing gear was tricky and as he would raise it up you could see it in is flight path as he would wind it up.

Martyn
June 16th, 2010, 06:50
Hi Helldiver,

The landing I carried out in that video was purely for demo purposes only, and was by no means an attempt at demonstrating a realistic carrier landing. I'd be the first to admit that carrier ops aren't my strong point :isadizzy:

Thank you for your feedback in reference to the tail-hook. I will look into that.

Two smaller packs will be released for $21.99, which may be of interest to you.

Thanks

fliger747
June 16th, 2010, 07:01
Any info on the carriers?

Cheers: T

Prowler1111
June 16th, 2010, 07:05
Honestly trying not to sound like a rivet counter (<--add your favorite insult here), just pointing out something i found that might need to be checked, but the suspension seems to stiff on that landing, i can be completely wrong.
Anyway, it looks great, keep it that way!
Best regards
Prowler

Martyn
June 16th, 2010, 07:09
Any info on the carriers?

Cheers: T

Hi,

No info just yet, I'll be back with more information on the carriers asap. Worth noting that the carrier shown in the promo video is the one included in FSX Acceleration pack, rather than the new one(s).

but the suspension seems to stiff on that landing, i can be completely wrong.

It needs to be tough to survive my carrier landings :jump:

Thanks
Martyn

Helldiver
June 16th, 2010, 09:18
Here's a picture of a typical forged landing hook. It's about a broad as a large man's hand cupped. It is finished inside the cupped portion with electroless nickel plating in order to decrease the coefficient of friction. This one is on a F11-F but they haven't changed the style of it.
If it was any narrower, they would be braking more wires.

Death_Eagle_571
June 16th, 2010, 14:59
That looks gorgeous! My only concern is the gauges don't appear to be correct for the type of aircraft, namely the airspeed indicator, which looks like its from a spitfire, the VSI gauge, which looks like its from a later aircraft, like a P-47 or P-51, the RPM gauge, which looks like the army model used in the P51 same with the altimeter, everything else looks very well done though.

Helldiver
June 16th, 2010, 16:20
Believe me after a plane has been in action and it's instuments have been through the Instuments shop, you might find a gage that came out of a PBY or from a N3-N.
The only time you'll find matching instuments is when it comes off Grumman's assembly line.
But even after the plane goes through Navy's A&R depot the instuments are a mish-mash. Just as long as they work.

Death_Eagle_571
June 16th, 2010, 16:51
Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that, that makes sense, thanks for the insight Helldiver.

spatialpro
June 16th, 2010, 21:44
When I read the title Wildcat I automatically thought the latest helicopter was on its way...!! That is what happens to you when you live to close to Westlands!

One day when someone posts about a new model of the Lightning I'll expect to see the F-35 rather than the English Electric variery! :-(

bazzar
June 16th, 2010, 22:16
Careful mate, you're among Americans...:d:running:

spatialpro
June 16th, 2010, 22:45
Careful mate, you're among Americans...:d:running:

Yeah, and I forgot to mention the P-38...

Its just a sign of the times (and the state of my brain) that when I read Wildcat I didn't think Grumman...

fliger747
June 16th, 2010, 23:33
Thanks Baz, glad to see you guys are still producing top quality work!

Cheers Tom

bazzar
June 17th, 2010, 01:31
Thanks Tom,much appreciated. I believe we've done the F4F justice.

Helldiver, you'll be pleased to hear that we've remodeled the tailhook to the "correct" dimensions
and we've increased the compression on the gear for deck landings to reduce bounce and 'soften' the trap.

Helldiver
June 17th, 2010, 04:45
10632I had no problem with the landing gear because the shot I showed was taken while the aircraft was still flying and the gear hadn't touched down.
I thank you for the hook though. Too many Naval aircraft are shown with a knife like hook. We lose enough wires with out having them that sharp. As far as I know you're the only one that put it on correct. The wire men thank you.
Just don't head the carrier into any mountains when it's going at high speed. They have lousy brakes.

mal998
June 17th, 2010, 09:23
Here's another shot of the tail hook for the F4F...

here are a few panel shots of some F4f variants...

10645 10646

please disregard the attachment. there is no way to cut or unattach photos from posts.

Helldiver
June 17th, 2010, 11:04
Glad to see a real Wildcat tail hook in all it's glory.
I also want to show a Swordfish in a proper attitude to catch a hook. (Nowadays they call it getting "trapped". But what do they know)
The nose is high, just above a stall and the hook is hanging low. A perfect setup for catching a wire. You can see why Corsair pilots had a problem with their long noses.

Martyn
June 30th, 2010, 00:52
This product is now on sale :jump:

Thanks for all your feedback during development, much appreciated!

Butcherbird17
June 30th, 2010, 06:04
Wow you guys sneaked that one right under the radar, didn't know it was this close to release. :jump: Now to wait for payday to get it.

Joe

Cleartheprop
June 30th, 2010, 06:11
Great news ! Got mine downloaded and installed! :ernae:

BOOM
June 30th, 2010, 06:17
Would love to see some users screenshots! please?:salute:

Prowler1111
June 30th, 2010, 15:44
Believe me after a plane has been in action and it's instuments have been through the Instuments shop, you might find a gage that came out of a PBY or from a N3-N.
The only time you'll find matching instuments is when it comes off Grumman's assembly line.
But even after the plane goes through Navy's A&R depot the instuments are a mish-mash. Just as long as they work.

When i was developing the Banshee series i stumbled into that fact, and it get worse as active duty goes, it was (back then) almost impossible to find 2 exact cockpits, they all had different gauges (but not different functions) not to mention what a museum curator called "the lay out of the pilotīs choice" with extra gauges here and there, new switches, ect.
It definitely, was a pilotīs time...

Prowler