PDA

View Full Version : Changing aircraft in missions?

Navy Chief
June 15th, 2010, 06:57
I believe someone posted about this recently, so forgive the question again.

But I'd like to know how to change the aircraft in a mission?

Thanks.

NC

Daube
June 15th, 2010, 07:12
Select the checkbox "allow changes" at the bottom of the mission list.
Then, once on the runway, you can change aircraft, weather, time etc... exactely like in free flight.

Navy Chief
June 15th, 2010, 07:38
Select the checkbox "allow changes" at the bottom of the mission list.
Then, once on the runway, you can change aircraft, weather, time etc... exactely like in free flight.

Thanks!!!

NC

falcon409
June 15th, 2010, 07:51
Hey Daube, doesn't that negate the mission though as far as getting credit for it? I know you can still fly it, but I don't think you get credit for it.:salute:

IanP
June 15th, 2010, 07:57
It does, Falcon, yes. If you tick the "allow changes" box, you won't get credited with any rewards for completing the mission.

I do believe, though, that you can also change the aircraft by changing the aircraft title in the .flt file associated with the mission?

I'm fighting with troublesome trucks at the moment, but will see if I can check exactly what and where in a bit.

Edit: It is indeed as I thought. Inside each mission folder is the ".flt" flight file that goes with the mission. If you want to permanently make a change, thus allowing you to fly a mission with a different aircraft and still receive the award, you can do so by opening the appropriate .flt file with Windows Notepad, searching for the [sim.0] section and changing the aircraft title appropriately.

Ian P.

falcon409
June 15th, 2010, 09:32
Great, thanks Ian!:salute:

JohnC
June 15th, 2010, 09:55
It does, Falcon, yes. If you tick the "allow changes" box, you won't get credited with any rewards for completing the mission.

I do believe, though, that you can also change the aircraft by changing the aircraft title in the .flt file associated with the mission?

I'm fighting with troublesome trucks at the moment, but will see if I can check exactly what and where in a bit.

Edit: It is indeed as I thought. Inside each mission folder is the ".flt" flight file that goes with the mission. If you want to permanently make a change, thus allowing you to fly a mission with a different aircraft and still receive the award, you can do so by opening the appropriate .flt file with Windows Notepad, searching for the [sim.0] section and changing the aircraft title appropriately.

Ian P.

You should also makes changes to the [Payload.0] section to suite the new aircraft, otherwise you might wind up with a nasty CG. Each comma denotes a station load defined in the aircraft.cfg.

Daube
June 15th, 2010, 23:56
Hey Daube, doesn't that negate the mission though as far as getting credit for it? I know you can still fly it, but I don't think you get credit for it.:salute:

As already answered by the other members, yes this prevents you from getting the rewards and there is a trick to get them nevertheless by editing the missions files.
What I do is always do the mission once with the default plane, just to see what happens, and to determine what kind of plane can really be used or not.

For example, After flying the Denali Camp mission, I understood it would be cool to do it with an helicopter (I did it with the Merlin and the Super Puma from Dirk Fassbender), and set the flight time to one hour before the sun goes down. That was a total blast.

I also did a similar thing with that easy mission, the one with the Baron where you have to fly from a field to another, starting from Stehekin Lake, and in the end one of your engines dies shortly after takeoff. I changed the flight time to the evening as well, and choosed the DC-3. That was challenging for some airports, but overall it was really cool.

TeaSea
June 16th, 2010, 05:21
As already answered by the other members, yes this prevents you from getting the rewards and there is a trick to get them nevertheless by editing the missions files.
What I do is always do the mission once with the default plane, just to see what happens, and to determine what kind of plane can really be used or not.

For example, After flying the Denali Camp mission, I understood it would be cool to do it with an helicopter (I did it with the Merlin and the Super Puma from Dirk Fassbender), and set the flight time to one hour before the sun goes down. That was a total blast.

I also did a similar thing with that easy mission, the one with the Baron where you have to fly from a field to another, starting from Stehekin Lake, and in the end one of your engines dies shortly after takeoff. I changed the flight time to the evening as well, and choosed the DC-3. That was challenging for some airports, but overall it was really cool.

I'm with Daube....

You can edit the mission files, but I've decided that's more trouble than it's worth. I did it with the Dutch Harbor Approach, and have more or less left the Caranedo 182 as the default. For all the other missions I've just clicked the box.

Don't try the Africa relief mission with the F-18......little hint.:icon_lol: