PDA

View Full Version : See? Told you it still works!

PRB
November 15th, 2008, 07:43
I'm still amazed when it boots up. That's CP/M running!

txnetcop
November 15th, 2008, 07:57
Those were the days...me and my Trash 80 working away into the wee hours of the night while I learned to program in Level 1 (Tiny Basic) and Level II BASIC. But sure caused a lot of RF interference with everything around it. I traded it for a Tandy 1000. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, Paul
Ted

srgalahad
November 15th, 2008, 07:58
Good old Control Program/Machine
You got Lunar Lander on diskette??????? that was my first "Sim" on both the TRS80 and a VAX :mixedsmi:

dominique
November 15th, 2008, 10:07
Yeah, long before Windows was pitted against Linux, the respective merits of CP/M and Apple Dos 3.3 were hotly discussed in the hobbyist community... In magazines of course as there was no internet then (how did we live ?) and BBS were almost inexistant :jump:

Two or three years back I fired my old Apple ][ again and it still works perfectly with FS 1 (at a rate of three or four frames a sec !).

OBIO
November 15th, 2008, 10:08
My first system: the year was 1984. My dad took me to Radio Shack and bought me a Tandy Color Computer II, a dot matrix printer and a floppy drive. The computer was totally housed in the "keyboard". The Floppy drive was larger than a loaf of bread and the dot matrix printer was slow, noisy and heavy. He also bought me my first flight sim program that day as well....can't remember the name of it, but it was based around a single engined prop plane, Piper Cherokee, Piper Cub...something like that. The red-haired manager (who I had a major crush on...she was HOT HOT HOT) tossed in the two little joysticks for a penny...had to use one for airelons and elevator, the other for rudder input. Took a while to master that I tell ya!

Dad and I spent many an hour flying that little plane (which we only saw as the instrument panel). While flying around in CFS2, with its fully 3D planes and virtual cockpits and 3D scenery and working weaponry....I think just how much Dad would enjoy the sim, how he would love being able to pilot the B-24...his favorite plane...and watch the bombs falling from the bomb bays and begin their long decent to the ground below.

Memories....

OBIO

hey_moe
November 15th, 2008, 11:37
Is dat one of dem DVD,TV all in one:costumes:
I'm still amazed when it boots up. That's CP/M running!

AckAck
November 15th, 2008, 13:22
You got one of them fancy ones with floppy disk drives...(TWO of them!!).

The ones I used had a cassette tape for storage.

Brian

Henry
November 15th, 2008, 13:34
Is dat one of dem DVD,TV all in one:costumes:
yup blue ray and dark green ray:costumes:
H

Lionheart
November 15th, 2008, 14:38
My goodness....

Sheeesh PRB, you repainted it, didnt you. Full ground up chassis restoration. It should have turned yellowish by now. Its solid white like the day it was purchased....!

Very cool man. A jewel of history.

I wonder what 'Antique Roadshow' would give it for a value?

<---- loved Lunar Lander Very few successful landings though....

Bill

Willy
November 15th, 2008, 16:14
Dang P! That looks in better shape than my old Commodore 64 that still works.

Lionheart
November 15th, 2008, 22:08
Its in better shape then my new HP..!

If you check the rubber peds on that thing, you'll see they are shiny and glistening. Armour-All!!!

I'll bet he keeps it in a glass case.....

PRB
November 16th, 2008, 05:08
It kind of happened by accident. My first computer, a TRS-80 Model III, I gave away when I bought the 4. But the PC era was soon upon us, and it wasn’t long before I bought one of those. I still had the original box for the Model 4 at that time, and it stayed in there for years. That original box is long gone now, having gone through many moves from one end of the country to the other a few times. I do keep the computer covered up and protected most of the time. These days it comes out of protective storage once or twice a year, just to see if it will still boot. The OS, from the floppy disk, boots up in about two seconds! And think about those floppy 5.25" disks. Still perfectly fine after 20+ years? Amazing. How long did your average 3" disk last? I think it has 16K or RAM in it; which is less than the size of the image of it posted above. :d

dominique
November 16th, 2008, 05:24
I wonder what 'Antique Roadshow' would give it for a value?

not much I'm afraid, too many still in cellars, maybe in two hundred years :costumes:

I think it has 16K or RAM in it; which is less than the size of the image of it posted above. :d

My first Apple was running at the speed of 0.5 MHz (Rockwell 6502) with a whopping 48K of RAM :jump: