PDA

View Full Version : WWI

baldy
June 14th, 2010, 03:57
Hi

I've sort of dropped off the perch recently - but just the other day I climbed back on and did a World War I install using Aerocrate - good stuff !

Also re-skinned a Sopwith Camel as an RNAS version to go with Collin's HMS Furious 1918 ( see pic ) and also flew Stuart Green's Sopwith Cuckoo off HMS Argus (in my rough approximation of dazzle camo ) --

what I'm leading up to in my long-winded way is - I'm thinking of doing a Tondern raid mission - so I need WWI cruisers and destroyers plus some Zeppelin sheds -- failing that I'll have to make the sheds myself without the slightest idea how to go about it -- so can some-one point me in the direction of a tutorial for making buildings using FSDS2

cheers

baldy

kdriver
June 14th, 2010, 04:33
Hi Baldy,

Tondern airship base by Alexander Belov for FS 2004 is available at Avsim. It works in CFS 2 and looks great but is not destroyable. It is also a bit punishing on frame rates.

WW1 destroyers seem to be hard to come by. Light cruisers available are HMS Chester and HMAS Sydney (in the Emden/Sydney package), both by the Virtual Navy.

I find the biggest challenge is trying to land on the aft deck of HMS Furious. After the raid on the airship sheds the Camels were expected to ditch along side of the fleet provided they had enough fuel to return.

Kevin

kdriver
June 14th, 2010, 05:42
Historically the airship hangars were not destroyed. The bombs went through the roof and destroyed the airships inside.

You could bend the truth by mooring a couple of Gary Aumaugher's Zeppelin L-44s, which are destroyable, outside the sheds.

voyager
June 14th, 2010, 06:44
baldy,

Usuio's destroyers Cole and Ward are four-stackers if those are of any help.

voyager

baldy
June 14th, 2010, 06:50
Hi kdriver -- thanks for the info - the trick with landing on the Furious is to cheat just a bit -- first off have your parking brakes on ( you'll find them for availability in the airfile ) -- second - approach slow and low as you can -- third - have a button on your joystick for 'set mixture to idle cutoff' to cut the engine just before you reach the platform.

thanks again

baldy

baldy
June 14th, 2010, 07:51
can't seem to find the Emden package -- any hints ?

baldy

Boatz
June 14th, 2010, 08:01
VN_Emden-Sydney:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=3767

VN_HMS_Chester:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=3772

Boatz

baldy
June 14th, 2010, 08:54
thank you sir

oh btw that Tondern scenery doesn't work for me - it's probably clashing with the Aerocrate stuff

baldy

sc7500
June 14th, 2010, 08:56
Culled this from the Read-Me file in the Tondern package:

"...As a part of scenery following objects are installed:

- A squadron of British armoured cruisers with two torpedoboat groups near Dutch islands (N 53* 42', E5* 45') for scouting.

- A German steamer off Dutch coast (N56* 44', E7* 52') and Norwegian schooner (N57* 22', E8* 46') to inspect.

- A lightships are installed off Dogger Bank (N55* 4', E1* 0') and off Terschelling (N53* 29', E5* 57')...."

Hmmmm.....
SC
:kilroy:

kdriver
June 14th, 2010, 10:11
Baldy & sc7500,

Only install the Tondern.bgl and Tondern A16N.bgl files for Tondern and the five NorthSea.bgl files for the ships. The remaining bgl files are for FS2004. I have all the World War 1 scenery addons and there is no problem with the scenery clashing as Tondern is so far away from the Western Front.

The ships are interesting - if you fire a bullet into them you will blow up!

Good luck,
Kevin

baldy
June 14th, 2010, 11:20
Thanks Kdriver -- sheds show up now - can now start thinking about mission

baldy

stoney
June 14th, 2010, 15:36
Good luck baldy! I will really be looking forward to your mission for WWI. I was afraid WWI was dead in CFS2.