PDA

View Full Version : Middle Of Africa - FTTL, Secret Amphib Base

FAC257
June 13th, 2010, 09:09
Finally living out an MSFS adventure I've been thinking about for several years. It's an around the world tour using only amphibs or floats with all water take-offs & landings. The only rule I'm using is that all airports have to allow taxiing on and off the airport flatten to the water, without turning down the autogen settings to get rid of trees. No pre-planned route except for the current leg.

It turned out to be a bit tougher than I thought finding airports that work. But a bit of detective recon found a "secret" airfield in the center of Africa that allowed for a short cut across the continent. It allowed for the PBY to make the run in two hops. The first leg was a 1500 mile/13 hour flight from GLBU to FTTL. The second leg was a 1600 mile/ 15 hour flight from FTTL to OYKM. The Cat made both non-stop flights with fuel to spare.

The shots below are from the FTTL (sunrise) to OYKM (sunset) run. As the sun was setting we were still a few hours from destination.

Currently enroute to the north coast of Somalia in the 172 with floats.

FAC

falcon409
June 13th, 2010, 09:28
Wish I had hung on to my AlphaSim PBY now. There's something quite majestic about that bird in flight. Good luck on your flights.:salute: