PDA

View Full Version : Free Open Software

Devildog73
June 12th, 2010, 11:16
Not as an endorsement of any particular software, though I do have some of the software this guy lists; Perhaps most of our British brothers in arms already know this site, but here it is:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=free+office+software&page=1&qsrc=121&dm=all&ab=7&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.moneysavingexpert.com%2Fshoppin g%2Ffree-office-software&sg=KLW2X2XM6g9uEHljWVGcdPeOrdXImVGOwCcqtSgsKTE%3D&tsp=1276369766245

This guy lists some really excellent free software available instead of the several hundreds of each of our monetary denominations from major retailers.

I have been using some of these for some months now and have had no problems with any of what I am using. I am quite pleased with some of these software offerings.

Toastmaker
June 12th, 2010, 12:13
Interesting find - thanks !

:running:

Roger
June 12th, 2010, 12:21
I use moneysavingexpert.com frequently and it's as close to unbiased as you can get.

Bjoern
June 12th, 2010, 13:52
Been using OpenOffice for ages. Works perfectly and just as good as its famous payware counterpart.

Same for CCleaner, Memtest, Paint.net, Gimp and VLC Player.

Toastmaker
June 12th, 2010, 14:22
With regard to CCleaner, is there any danger of it erasing the cookies that allow us to return to favorite sites without having to log in each time ??

safn1949
June 12th, 2010, 16:39
With regard to CCleaner, is there any danger of it erasing the cookies that allow us to return to favorite sites without having to log in each time ??

You can exclude those cookies most of the time,I have a couple I never seem to get right.:d

cheezyflier
June 13th, 2010, 05:57

if you use opera, you can store all your paswords in the wand so that one click logs you in and keeps you there until the next time you delete the cookie. and it's also free.

Jagdflieger
June 13th, 2010, 06:28
Speaking of software, can any of you recommend a good DVD player program for computers? I'd like something a little more capable than the video player that comes with Windows 7.

Bjoern
June 14th, 2010, 10:01
Speaking of software, can any of you recommend a good DVD player program for computers? I'd like something a little more capable than the video player that comes with Windows 7.

VLC Player?

Jagdflieger
June 14th, 2010, 12:49
To play DVD movies.

Windows Media Player is OK, but lacks some of the refinement of the player on my older laptop.

gigabyte
June 14th, 2010, 17:26
VLC Player is listed in that article, I have used it for several years and I love it, very versitile, I have yet to find a format it wil lnot handle and you can't beat the price, not to mention the performance it is very light on resources, which is a plus for lower end systems.

Jagdflieger
June 15th, 2010, 03:29
Thanks guys. I'll give VLC a try.