PDA

View Full Version : Nerves of Steel /Gotta See Video

JoeW
June 10th, 2010, 12:25
Not every HERO is on the ground fighting. Everyone involved in saving this young man's life is MY HERO. buddy

<table class="ecxMsoNormalTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="padding: 1.5pt; width: 1261px;" width="100%"> <table style="margin-left: 6.75pt; margin-right: 6.75pt;" class="ecxMsoNormalTable" align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td style="padding: 0in;" valign="top"> The story is about Channing Moss, who was impaled by a live RPG during a Taliban ambush while on patrol.
Army protocol says that medivac choppers are never to carry anyone with a live round in him. Even though they feared it could explode, the flight crew said damn the protocol and flew him to the nearest aid station. Again, protocol said that in such a case the patient is to be put in a sandbagged area away from the surgical unit, given a shot of morphine and left to wait (and die) until others are treated.
Again, the medical team ignored the protocol. Here's a short video put together by the Military Times, which includes actual footage of the surgery where Dr. John Oh, a Korean immigrant who became a naturalized citizen and went to West Point, removed the live round with the help of volunteers and a member of the EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) team.
Moss has undergone six operations but is doing well at home in Gainesville, GA. I think you'll find the video absolutely remarkable.

Military Videos: Videos, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, Marines - Military Tim (http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/?bcrefid=808163493)
</td></tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

peter12213
June 10th, 2010, 13:43
My God what a story, thats amazing, he is the luckiest person ever to get hit with an RPG, my friend sean who is a combat medic in the British army still has a piece of an rpg that landed in a wall 2 inches from his head, he said that was the closest he came to being killed in Afghanistan, he was also stabbed in the armpit of all places during a riot in one of the afghan villages, he didn't even know he had been stabbed until his mate noticed the blood on his top, it looks like it was a screw driver or something similar that got him, needess to say the person that did it isn't with us anymore!

TARPSBird
June 10th, 2010, 14:54
God bless 'em all, the medics and corpsmen, the medevac helo crews, and the surgical teams that keep our wounded troops alive and get 'em on the road to recovery. :medals:

Ken Stallings
June 10th, 2010, 16:01
That word hero is thrown around a lot today in modern society.

However, sometimes you encounter men who, like this medevac helicopter crew and the medical team, earn the title hero without mitigation or qualification!

The immortal television show MASH had a few episodes drawn from history that had a similar theme. Nothing has changed since then. There are a lot of people in our world who will ignore their own safety if the moment allows them to save others.

These men are heroes. I stand in awe and humble appreciation for them.

Ken