PDA

View Full Version : REX 2 and "Shader"

PRB
June 8th, 2010, 19:58
What the heck is "Shader 2"? Is it that free download that I find if I type "Shader 2" in Google? REX says that wave animations are only applicable to "Shader 2 settings". This could explain why I lost all my wave animations when I installed REX 2.

orionll
June 8th, 2010, 20:17
It's just saying you need to be using one of the Water 2.x settings in FSX.

PRB
June 9th, 2010, 04:16
Are the "Water 2.x settings" in FSX located someplace other than where all the sliders for scenery are, including water sliders? I've never heard of a "water 2.x setting" in FSX.

Roger
June 9th, 2010, 04:19
Are the "Water 2.x settings" in FSX located someplace other than where all the sliders for scenery are, including water sliders? I've never heard of a "water 2.x setting" in FSX.

You're in the right place but with water it will mean the higher settings.

Daube
June 9th, 2010, 04:24

You will probably never hear about it, but if by chance you pay attention to what is written next to the water slider, you might eventually "read" about it ;)
Each crank of the water setting has a name that is displayed right next to the slider. It begins with 1x low, 1x high (those are the FS9-style water, much easier on the FPS), 2x low, 2x medium, 2x high and finally 2x max ("2x" settings are the FSX-style water with the nice waves, much heavier on the FPS).

You will need to choose 2x medium or 2x high. 2x max is too heavy on the FPS, and the visual quality improvements over the 2x high setting are not worth the FPS impact.

peter12213
June 9th, 2010, 04:43
I also use FSWC, FS Water Configurator, free download which hugely improves the look of the fsx water, its compatable with REX2 and actually I found even on my crappy system that a high water setting virtually has no impact on FPS!