Hi,

The National Transportation Safety Board today dispatched a
team to investigate today's aviation event that occurred at
approximately 10:05 a.m. at Reagan National Airport, in
Washington, D.C.

A Boeing Stearman ST75 (N52652) ground looped and then
flipped on landing on runway 1.

Senior Aviation Safety Investigator Robert Benzon has been
designated as the Investigator-in-Charge.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/06/08/VI2010060802370.html

And from the ground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoOQ-qPcd-E&feature=player_embedded

pilottj
June 8th, 2010, 11:04
looked like the wheels locked up, perhaps the brakes were engaged somehow

TARPSBird
June 8th, 2010, 11:31
looked like the wheels locked up, perhaps the brakes were engaged somehow
That's what I thought too. Look at all that tire smoke.

txnetcop
June 8th, 2010, 12:09
Boy that would just ruin your whole day and your wallet! Glad they walked away it looks like that baby very salvageable!
Ted

OBIO
June 8th, 2010, 12:17
I have no idea if a Stearman has parking brakes...but if so, looks like they were engaged. Tires were pretty much locked up. Last time I have seen that much tire smoke was when a car caught of fire in the middle of a busy intersection here in town.

OBIO

As a side note: I wish people would realize that there is this nice little thing called a TRI-POD that holds the camera steady. If more people would use one, we might actually get some good plane crash, UFO and Bigfoot video footage.

pilottj
June 8th, 2010, 13:25
anyone know if the Stearman has toe brakes in both the front and rear cockpit? If it has brakes in both, perhaps an unwary passenger might accidently press them, hence the importance of a proper passenger brief :)

HighGround22
June 8th, 2010, 14:15
. . . If it has brakes in both, perhaps an unwary passenger might accidently press them . . . . Doggone good point!

Z-claudius24
June 8th, 2010, 14:23
Hi,

As a side note: I wish people would realize that there is this nice little thing called a TRI-POD that holds the camera steady. If more people would use one, we might actually get some good plane crash, UFO and Bigfoot video footage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Bebermaur/Specials/mouhahaha.gif

Wing_Z
June 8th, 2010, 14:39
...As a side note: I wish people would realize that there is this nice little thing called a TRI-POD that holds the camera steady. If more people would use one, we might actually get some good plane crash, UFO and Bigfoot video footage.

Next time I am out shooting UFO's with my phone camera I will remember this advice :d
But I also did think waving the camera around in the air at the exact moment of impact employed a little too much artistic licence...

I'm sure Peteham will be able to enlighten us about Stearman brakes.

Ken Stallings
June 8th, 2010, 14:42
anyone know if the Stearman has toe brakes in both the front and rear cockpit? If it has brakes in both, perhaps an unwary passenger might accidently press them, hence the importance of a proper passenger brief :)

That's my guess, only because I know that parking brakes are very rarely ever used, and it is impossible to "accidentally" set them on. Plus, it is clear the brakes were engaged. Tire smoke from touchdown on such a light aircraft is normally very faint. And, even then it is just a small little patch of smoke on initial contact. This was a long stream of smoke.

The video I saw from the cockpit showed nothing out of the ordinary until around initial touchdown and then BAM! the plane flips over its nose and onto its back!

The passenger was a local newspaper reporter who said he didn't even want to make the flight. Anyone who wouldn't sell his soul for a chance to fly in a Stearman on a beautiful VFR day obviously isn't a pilot at heart. So, I'm thinking the newbie either ignored the passenger brief about keeping his damn feet and hands off the controls, or else never got that briefing.

It was a very shocking accident to watch.

Ken

OBIO
June 8th, 2010, 15:04
Here's a link to a page with the in-cockpit footage. The Stearman flipped faster than a whole wheat pancake at an all-you-can-eat firehouse breakfast.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/08/national/main6560708.shtml

If you look carefully, you get a very good look at the fuel gauge on the Stearman...first time I have seen one with that clarity.

Crusader
June 8th, 2010, 15:10
Took a ride in a Stearman about three years ago on a beautiful summer day and I would do again in a heart beat . The pilot and owner was around 70 years old and we even did a barrel roll and finally landed on grass . This plane was such a part of this pilot I swear he could land it blind folded .LOL I think Ken and others might be on the right track with this one . Maybe a over anxious passenger . It would be interesting to find the cause .

Rich

Bushpounder
June 8th, 2010, 17:22
I have no idea if a Stearman has parking brakes...but if so, looks like they were engaged. Tires were pretty much locked up. Last time I have seen that much tire smoke was when a car caught of fire in the middle of a busy intersection here in town.

OBIO

I actually had some Bigfoot video footage. He was flying a Stearman!! Because I didn't have a tripod, it was too blurry. ;) I recorded over it. :icon_lol: I saw the footage as well. Glad the plane is still in good condition.

Don

johnh_049
June 9th, 2010, 05:32
2 points to make here, why are they calling this a "ground loop"?
I always considered a ground loop to be when the plane spun out of control on it's wheels... maybe dipping the wing into the runway. the video shows a nose-over

point 2... the passenger was a news reporter. no telling what he did.

Skittles
June 9th, 2010, 08:21
Looked like a fairly flat landing to me, although I don't know how flat you have to get the Stearman. That might be normal SOP for all I know.

What I DO know however, is that if you are flat and there's a touch of brakes you're quickly going to see bye bye to sky, hello to ground then hello to sky again.

This kind of accident is the worst as a pilot, because once it's happening there is absolutely nothing he could have done to stop it. As to whether the passenger had anything to do with it or it was a wheel jam etc it's anyone's guess.

The accident report won't take long on something like this. Will keep an eye out for it.

jmig
June 9th, 2010, 13:15
2 points to make here, why are they calling this a "ground loop"?
I always considered a ground loop to be when the plane spun out of control on it's wheels... maybe dipping the wing into the runway. the video shows a nose-over

point 2... the passenger was a news reporter. no telling what he did.

I was thinking the same thing (point 1) and thought about asking, here. You beat me to it. We must have great minds. :d

I saw the reporter interviewed in my hotel room this morning. He is a 40-50 year old guy and seemed to have it together. He said he would go up in that plane every day for ten years, if he could. He also said the cause of the accident hasn't been determined yet.

tigisfat
June 9th, 2010, 15:13
I have it on decent authority that Stearman (is it Stearmen or stearmans, whatever) don't have parking brakes, but they do have dual cockpit brakes, and pilots who fly sightseeing tours and such commonly have to remind passengers to keep their feet off the brakes. Many passengers brace their feet against them, depressing the brakes. It looks like the speculation is right.

Can you imagine being the owner and steward of a wonderful stearman, and having some clown of a reporter wreck it for you and the world? :mixedsmi:

PeteHam
June 9th, 2010, 16:20
The Stearman does have dual brakes ( front and rear cockpits ).

The operation is by pressing forward on the top of the rudder pedals.

According to some of the Stearman Flight Manuals I have, some models did have a park brake.

The Stearman I fly doesn't have a park brake.

Hope this helps.

Pete.