PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite default smalller airfield in FSX?

TeiscoDelRay
June 6th, 2010, 08:04
Would like to find some great smaller stock airfields in FSX,,what is yours?

Tako_Kichi
June 6th, 2010, 08:25
Any in the Swiss Alps or in British Columbia, Canada. Both places have some nice default small airfields. How accurate they are is of course a different story!

Bjoern
June 6th, 2010, 08:35
EDFO, EDFM, EDCW maybe.

Odie
June 6th, 2010, 08:40
LGMT in the Greek Islands. The island itself is perfect for a "racetrack" pattern to takeoff and land. Take-off, fly around the island and land back at the airport. Although it can be a short flight if you are in a fast mover; it's perfect for single-engine props.

PRB
June 6th, 2010, 09:02
For the small fields, I like the ones that have been "upgraded", and for that, anything by Pacific Island Simulations, or falcon409's small airports in Maine. And Plum Island.

dswo
June 6th, 2010, 09:07
LGMT in the Greek Islands.

I just tried this. With no parking spaces in FSX, I assumed it was just a strip of asphalt. Good find.

One of my favorites is Sandpoint, Idaho (KSZT).

XLR8
June 6th, 2010, 09:15
I like King airfield . Its a small island with lots of scenery .

Helldiver
June 6th, 2010, 09:32
My all time favorite has to be Bill Womack's Plum Island Airport . I know just how much loving care that he worked the scenery of the airport but also the town of Newburyport. I have my apartment building, the rotary where I get my coffee at Dunkin Donuts, the Seaport Shopping mall, the Gillis Bridge, - it's all there.
Plus the fact that I only live a half mile from the airport, I save on gasoline.
This weekend is the annual meet of the Salisbury, MA and the Hampton Falls, NH RC clubs. The flying was excellant. I tried to get pictures of the jets but they were just much too fast.

anatolpopov
June 6th, 2010, 09:57
EGNW, EFKJ, EFJM

Navy Chief
June 6th, 2010, 10:00
Although it isn't a small airport, I often like to take off from Guam Intl., then do a touch and go on Andersen AFB on Guam, and back to the Guam airport, or vice versa.......

NC

Wh61
June 6th, 2010, 11:06
My all time favorite has to be Bill Womack's Plum Island Airport . I know just how much loving care that he worked the scenery of the airport but also the town of Newburyport. I have my apartment building, the rotary where I get my coffee at Dunkin Donuts, the Seaport Shopping mall, the Gillis Bridge, - it's all there.
Plus the fact that I only live a half mile from the airport, I save on gasoline.
This weekend is the annual meet of the Salisbury, MA and the Hampton Falls, NH RC clubs. The flying was excellant. I tried to get pictures of the jets but they were just much too fast.
My favorite is Plumb Island

Daube
June 6th, 2010, 11:58
Depends of what bird I'm testing, but most of the times, I choose Aix-les-bains.
It's a mid-size airfield suitable for almost any kind of aircraft, and the runway ends in front of a big lake. The surrounding landscape is really nice and Switzerland is just 10 minutes away :)

IanHenry
June 6th, 2010, 12:11
Oban and Barra in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Scotland</st1:place></st1:country-region>, particularly if you have the Scotflight scenery and Horizons photo scenery for the western Isles. Barra's strip is a small area of the beach.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Ian.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Cazzie
June 6th, 2010, 12:35
So many! Plum Island, for sure, any number of wonderful small grass strips in Orbx's PNW, but there is one freeware favorite, Habere Poche Gliderport, France. One of my favorite sailplane strips. get the mesh and all of the Alps airports here.

http://www.vf-air.com/FSX2.htm

Caz

IanP
June 6th, 2010, 12:37
Like many other people, I'm not that fond of most of the default smaller airfields, because they're usually nothing more than a runway and... you might get a beacon tower. Possibly a small fuel point, but that's absolutely it.

Hence the ones that I spend most of my life at are the little Coll and Colonsay ones that I added back in. But then I'm biased. ;)

falcon409
June 6th, 2010, 13:21
Where is it located?

Mongo
June 6th, 2010, 13:28
CYBW - Springbank, Alberta. The FS9 scenery ports accross to FSX pretty nicely.

Marvin Carter
June 6th, 2010, 13:42
O22 Columbia, Ca. Moded by me!!!

Pips
June 6th, 2010, 14:23
Old Warden for me. It has that 'classic' atmosphere. :)

HighGround22
June 6th, 2010, 15:17
O22 Columbia, Ca. Moded by me!!!Nice spot, Marvin! Did you spruce it up some? FSX?

TeiscoDelRay
June 6th, 2010, 15:31
Where is it located?

I think I found it in St Thomas,,neat field with lots of interesting scenery.

Thanks for the replies guys,,,this could be a very interesting thread if we get enough examples.

TeiscoDelRay
June 6th, 2010, 15:38

I like this one very much,,you take off over a deep gorge with nice flowing river. Could you share your mods. It would look great with some help and some car traffic on those winding roads.

stormtrooper271
June 6th, 2010, 15:57
For default airfields my favorite is Yam Island, some very interesting takeoffs can happen from time to time, although it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. For custom airfields my favorite right now is Europa FAV. At FlightSim.com search Europa. :kilroy:

JoeW
June 6th, 2010, 15:59
Bill Wormick will find this interesting.
WN65, My Field, Elma, Washington.

TeiscoDelRay
June 6th, 2010, 16:16
For default airfields my favorite is Yam Island, some very interesting takeoffs can happen from time to time, although it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. For custom airfields my favorite right now is Europa FAV. At FlightSim.com search Europa. :kilroy:

I tried to download this at flightsim.com and not sure I got it all. It downloaded to fast and there was an empty texture folder in the zip.

stormtrooper271
June 6th, 2010, 16:40
I tried to download this at flightsim.com and not sure I got it all. It downloaded to fast and there was an empty texture folder in the zip.

That is how the file was when I downloaded it, but I think it should be that way.

Daube
June 7th, 2010, 00:40
What about posting a screenshot just to show those airfields ? :jump:

Lotus
June 7th, 2010, 01:45
Favourite small(ish) airfield of mine would be Queenstown on New Zealand's south island (NZQN). It has interesting approaches from any direction in marginal weather, and excellent scenery all round, even in default. The main reason I like it though is that NZ's best terrain, Fjordland, is just a short hop away. That's an area I could never tire of flying (or hiking) in. :)

-Mike

Naki
June 7th, 2010, 01:55
Favourite small(ish) airfield of mine would be Queenstown on New Zealand's south island (NZQN). It has interesting approaches from any direction in marginal weather, and excellent scenery all round, even in default. The main reason I like it though is that NZ's best terrain, Fjordland, is just a short hop away. That's an area I could never tire of flying (or hiking) in. :)

-Mike

Yeah thats one airport I want to see upgraded in FSX (there's an excellent FS9 freeware version). Have landed there in real life in a BAe-146 - rather interesting approach as you wizz pass mountains and hills.

Milford Sound airfield is not far away and that is even more interesting. I often fly out of Wanaka which is just up the road from Queenstown as I have the RealNZ version.

Marvin Carter
June 7th, 2010, 07:17
O22 Columbia, Ca. is here in the FSX library/ FSX other!!!

b52bob
June 7th, 2010, 09:04

Great airport. Just moved from there. Close to the Sierras, California central vally and San Francisco bay area (there are a few fellows who commute from here to San Francisco everyday).
+
The scenery is just great!

Piglet
June 7th, 2010, 16:50
North Field at Edward's AFB. I like the "abandoned" look to it. Figured no one would mind if I set up shop there...:kilroy:

CG_1976
June 7th, 2010, 17:29
At this moment in FSX im using Ranklin Inlet, Nunavut, Canada.

TeiscoDelRay
June 9th, 2010, 07:06

So do I, thanks for the input.

King airfield St Thomas TIST

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/1.jpg

Z-DarthVader
June 13th, 2010, 00:45
Maybe not so small, but I absolutely love IanP's RAF airfields!!

What better than to jump into your spit and do a couple of touch and goes on a sunday morning?!

Thx for the airfields Ian!! ;)

IanP
June 13th, 2010, 03:16
Umm... Does that mean you're not going to hit me with a tray? Jolly good!

(Totally OT, but funny... I can't figure out the YouTube tags, so here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw - caution: contains bad language)

I've just posted another one for your collection - RAF North Killingholme.

Back on topic again, One other place I do still like flying around in default FSX scenery is the US Pacific North West islands. Even with the Orbx scenery disabled, there's enough up there to keep you occupied and amused in a light aircraft.

Ian P.

dswo
June 14th, 2010, 16:24
Lebanon, New Hampshire (KLEB) is nicely situated with hills and rivers.

expat
June 15th, 2010, 00:11
0B8, Elizabeth Field, Fishers Island, NY (off the coast of New London CT).

Was part of US Army Ft Wright between WWI and WWII. Father was an island native who became a commissioned USN officer (LtJg) and served in the Pacific in WWII.

End of three of the four runway start positions are beach/ocean. Used to watch as a kid Jock Whitney's Fairchild F-27 land and takeoff on the "long" runway, all of 2,400.' Try landing a B200 King Air in FSX there. They often do today (though more PC-12 traffic). It is fun and a challenge. Lots of other airfields within 10-15 min GA flying distance, e.g. Groton, Montauk, Block Island, East Hampton, etc.

Daube
June 15th, 2010, 00:59
I would have a general recommendation here.
People, you should give a try to those addons nammed "Airports of Norway" and "Airstrips of Norway", coupled with a general landclass.
You can find all the links here:
http://walhalla.mine.nu/fsx/norway.html

You should also try to find a good mesh for the country, I know there's one but I can't remember where I found it. After this, Norway will be filled with very nice airports and airfieds (civilian and military) all around, next to the see or in the middle of the hills and forests. I always have a lot of pleasure flying from an airport to another, some of them are really looking good, with interesting approaches sometimes.

I would also recommend the "Fly and Fish" airfields on the same page above, really cool "bush-style" places.

PS: here is the link for the mesh:
http://www.flightsim.no/cgi-bin/file/search.cgi?query=Norway_mesh.zip
It was for FS2004, but FS2004 meshes and landclasses are perfectly compatible with FSX.

Bjoern
June 15th, 2010, 09:20

A very good point!

With all the freeware around for Norway it's a shame if one doesn't make use of it.

I just wish there were more sceneries for Sweden as well...