PDA

View Full Version : New camera bag.......

luckydog
June 5th, 2010, 15:17
During a recent motorcycle trip to Texas, I found it a real hassle to keep digging my camera case out of the saddlebag and repacking it every time I came across a good shot.
So, UPS delivered one of these this morning ( 302 model ). I think it might do the trick.......

http://www.lowepro.com/slingshot

Ferry_vO
June 5th, 2010, 15:43
Those are pretty good bags! I've considered those too while shopping for a larger pack but decided to go with a real back pack because of the extra comfort of additional straps (Shoulder and chest). On airshows I tend to pack a lot and I doubt it would be comfortable having all that weight on one shoulder.

luckydog
June 5th, 2010, 15:48
Those are pretty good bags! I've considered those too while shopping for a larger pack but decided to go with a real back pack because of the extra comfort of additional straps (Shoulder and chest). On airshows I tend to pack a lot and I doubt it would be comfortable having all that weight on one shoulder.

I hear ya Ferry !! That's why I went with the 302.....it comes with a well padded waist belt that takes the load off the shoulder. The built-in rain cover is a nice touch as well.

LD

EasyEd
June 5th, 2010, 16:12
Hey All,

I have an AW100 (early AW102) and I basically like it however the inability to carry a couple significant "extras" like maybe more than just a candybar but especially water are bothersome. I'd like to see LowePro give some serious thought to just what their product should do. It's not like your gonna carry a slingshot pack AND a back/day pack all at once. Like Ferry I think most people want the ability to carry at least just a but more than pure camera gear.

-Ed-

luckydog
June 5th, 2010, 16:55
Hey All,

I have an AW100 (early AW102) and I basically like it however the inability to carry a couple significant "extras" like maybe more than just a candybar but especially water are bothersome. I'd like to see LowePro give some serious thought to just what their product should do. It's not like your gonna carry a slingshot pack AND a back/day pack all at once. Like Ferry I think most people want the ability to carry at least just a but more than pure camera gear.

-Ed-

The 102 is a tiny thing !! With the 302 I can carry most of my camera gear, a tripod, a big lunch, water bottle, AND my netbook.........

Panther_99FS
June 5th, 2010, 19:27
I've got that exact bag (slingshot) no problems/issues whatsoever....:)

JorisVandenBerghe
June 6th, 2010, 00:46
Exactly for Ferry's reason I'm hoping for Lowepro to release their Flipside 500 AW for us non-professionals...

It has the opening at the back (extra security and convenient, since the straps stay clean if you need to put it down) and seems pretty comfortable...and not too heavy.

kilo delta
June 6th, 2010, 01:57
I've got the AW100 and AW200....much handier than carrying my backpack I find.

Ferry_vO
June 6th, 2010, 02:28
Exactly for Ferry's reason I'm hoping for Lowepro to release their Flipside 500 AW for us non-professionals...

Joris, I suggest you check out the Lowepro fastpack 350 or the Vanguard up Rise 48 (My bag) too... Both are pretty big backpacks that will carry alot more than just a camera and a few lenses.

JorisVandenBerghe
June 6th, 2010, 02:46
Looked at them, but I like the AW bags...I'm not buying a single Lowepro without it. In this country (it's pouring rain outside as I type) you can't do without all-weather cover. And I like the backpack configuration of the Flipside, where you can put the camera and main lens with the camera at top...like in my CompuTrekker AW (the empty space is where my A350 and 70-400G:

http://img37.imagefra.me/img/img37/6/6/5/jorisvdb/f_l1ajs6txpkqm_98cdd5e.jpg

The Flipside is said to be far more comfortable but the 400 AW probably won't fit all the things I currently put in my CompuTrekker...since it would have to accommodate a bigger camera (with grip), a NEX-camera with lenses and all that...

Grr...Lowepro...where does that 500 AW stay ?!

Panther_99FS
July 3rd, 2010, 18:25
Slingshot 300AW on sale for $60....
http://www.adorama.com/LPSS300AW.html?emailprice=t&utm_source=rflaid21866&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_term=Other

Tracon
July 3rd, 2010, 21:48
I also use the Lowepro - CompuTrekker AW. Love it to death, but I find it a bit rough on longer hikes with heavier loads. Good pack though, never any water issue. Good seals. Strong construction. If the packs are your thing.

luckydog
July 3rd, 2010, 22:10
Keep in mind that shoulder straps are primarily for stabilization......
a well padded waist belt ( your hips ) is what supports most of the load.

LD

JorisVandenBerghe
July 4th, 2010, 01:21
Agreed - that's why I'm looking at getting something like a Flipside (hopefully Lowepro shows something along the lines of that one at Photokina in Cologne in September), or Vertex. The Vertex 300 AW is a really neat bag. Superbly designed...too bad it's not airline compatible anymore (I think, Lowepro says so, too).

In the meantime, my CompuTrekker soldiers on...

lefty
July 4th, 2010, 01:28
Bought the Fastpack 250 last year for my trip to Jordan. One of the best purchases I ever made. Great bag.

Ferry_vO
July 4th, 2010, 02:31
Looked at them, but I like the AW bags...I'm not buying a single Lowepro without it. In this country (it's pouring rain outside as I type) you can't do without all-weather cover.

The Vanguard bags have a rain cover included; I had the bad luck already to use it but it works and can be installed in seconds.

Panther_99FS
July 4th, 2010, 07:36
The Slingshots HAVE an all weather cover included.....

JorisVandenBerghe
July 4th, 2010, 11:23
Aye, but the Fastpacks haven't. I heard the zippers on them (Fastpacks) aren't that great either - which is a surprise to me, considering Lowepro's reputation of using quality gear. Don't know if it's true as I haven't seen any Fastpacks yet myself...

Tracon
July 5th, 2010, 11:18
My CompuTrekker AW pack didn't come with an all-weather cover. I just assumed the AW referred to the construction lol. Oops. Either way, it seems to handle light rain fairly well for short periods of time.

JorisVandenBerghe
July 5th, 2010, 11:26
Tracon, perhaps you could contact Lowepro (they're also on Facebook and Twitter by the way). They seem to have a great customer service...

http://www.lowepro.com/support/contact-us

Tracon
July 5th, 2010, 15:59
Thanks for the link. I might call to humor myself, but I bought the bag several years ago when I bought my first DSLR. Maybe they will send one out of the kindness of their heart, but if not it's no real worries. I keep white plastic trash bags in the pack just in case :wiggle: