PDA

View Full Version : Flight Simming and DVT?

stuartcox
June 5th, 2010, 13:35
A few weeks ago, I developed a deep vein thrombosis in my right leg.
I blame it on being to passive (no exercise) in front of my computer.
Now I am using a cane to walk, because of the pain.
And here's my question:
Some people say that I should use it on the same side as the injured leg and others say the opposite.
I support the right leg to get the weight off it.
The web helped just as much as my GP..., they don't know!
Have any of you had a similar experience?
I know this is not a medical forum, but it could effect loads of other virtual pilots.

Aviator273
June 6th, 2010, 01:33
Hi stuartcox,
I'm sorry to hear about this. My right leg was injured a year ago, too. It wasn't a thrombosis but a very deep cut into my lower leg caused by a toothed wheel getting out of control and since lube oil isn't the best ointment it has hurt like hell. So I've tried the cane on both sides and for me the right side, the side of my injured leg, was more comfortable. From a physical point of view this is even logical explainable. If you use the cane on the side of your wealthy leg, you only can share the weight on the cane and your injured leg with a ratio of about 65:35 without loosing balance. Using the cane on the side of your injured leg the ratio can rise to 100:0 when taking adventage of a good cane and not touching the ground with your leg. If you don't have a suitable cane it will be still better than on the other side looking on the weightbalance.
The best will be just trying both sides and looking what suites you most.

Get well soon,
aviator