PDA

View Full Version : OT: What I seen flying yesterday

hews500d
June 5th, 2010, 04:52
My house sits under a military training route plus a tanker track, so usually not many days go by without a Blackhawk helicopter, C-130, or the occasional fighter(s) (that you can tell is a fighter by the noise but it's so darn high you can't see). Usually once or twice per week a KC-135 or KC-10 will go thru while refueling a C-17, that is awesome to watch thru binoculars !

Anyway, I was outside yesterday and heard this "god-awful" roar suddenly, definitely nothing commercial, looked up to see this HUGE contrail behind some clouds and then out from behind them appears a B-52 !!! Haven't seen one of those fly thru here in years ! Yesterday was definitely an "active" day on the MTR, saw a KC-10, think I may have heard a couple more B-52's, by then it was too hazy and cloudy to see...

Now if the military would just make this a low level training route for the Buff's !

Darrell

Tweek
June 5th, 2010, 05:24
We get to see them over here at RIAT every year. Don't think I'll ever tire of seeing a B-52 flying past in full chat.

stansdds
June 5th, 2010, 05:57
Things are much quieter around here since the Virginia Air National Guard closed their base at Richmond International Airport and moved to Langley AFB.

About the only military aircraft I now see are Blackhawks. There is a restored T-28 Trojan hangared at my local airport, so on many weekends I hear it flying around.

SabreAce
June 5th, 2010, 06:38
I'm jealous - I've never seen a B-52 in flight, and I've always wanted to. Best I can hope for around here, military-wise, is the F-15s from Otis ANGB going past about once every four years.

oakfloor
June 5th, 2010, 08:37
Oh yeah! I saw them scramble from March AFB many times back in the day, the whole wing flying over one after the other.

kilo delta
June 5th, 2010, 08:40
The only thing I regularly see flying around these parts is my mother-in-law on her broomstick. :wiggle:

Matt Wynn
June 5th, 2010, 09:12
where i live here in the UK is under one of the routes the RAF and USAF use, so not many days pass where i don't see a Eurofighter or F-15...

JimC1702
June 5th, 2010, 09:22
When the B-52s were stationed at Griffis AFB in Rome, NY, we used to see them all the time flying up and down the Mohawk Valley.

Jim

Matt Wynn
June 5th, 2010, 09:34
The only thing I regularly see flying around these parts is my mother-in-law on her broomstick. :wiggle:

KD, you just made me lose a mouthful of my beer :icon_lol: that was priceless... :icon_lol: