PDA

View Full Version : Activating scenery in Windows 7 64 bit

Z-DarthVader
June 5th, 2010, 00:59
Hello,

I recently switched over to Windows 7 64 bit and for some reason, I can't activate addon scenery in FS9.

Is this a known issue and if so, is there a workaround for it??

Thanks in advance for the help!

May the Force be with you!

SteveB
June 5th, 2010, 01:18
Hello,

I recently switched over to Windows 7 64 bit and for some reason, I can't activate addon scenery in FS9.

Is this a known issue and if so, is there a workaround for it??

Thanks in advance for the help!

May the Force be with you!

Try moving your fs9 directory from the programmex86 folder into the main route directory of your hard drive, trying to get anything to alter in the prog filesx86 folder is a nightmare on win 7.

Steve

Z-DarthVader
June 5th, 2010, 04:38
Really? That bad? I wish Mickeysoft would come up with patches for these things... After all, we paid good money for our sims...

They're as bad as politicians!

But thanks for the tip SteveB!!

ibl19108
June 5th, 2010, 04:54
Did you install FS9 in Windies7/64 or did you install it directly into the virtual XP program. A lot of my 32 bit programs would not function properly or not at all if I installed in windies7/64 but work as normal by installing it in the virtual XP mode.

Derek

Z-DarthVader
June 5th, 2010, 05:18
Did you install FS9 in Windies7/64 or did you install it directly into the virtual XP program. A lot of my 32 bit programs would not function properly or not at all if I installed in windies7/64 but work as normal by installing it in the virtual XP mode.

Derek

I installed it directly into windows 7/64... Damn, don't tell me I have to reïnstall again... So much stuff allready installed.

Also, it doesn't seem to be a problem for FSX to activate addon scenery...

Z-DarthVader
June 5th, 2010, 05:39
Wait wait, just had a thought. How about creating a dummy folder in the c:\program files folder like c:\program files\microsoft games\Flight simulator 9\addon scenery. Would that work you think??

Butcherbird17
June 5th, 2010, 05:52
This is a known issue with wins 7. When you click on the scenery folder as you would do in xp or vista and click OK, then right or left click anywhere in the white area of the folder. This will start the activation process.

Joe

Z-DarthVader
June 5th, 2010, 06:53
This is a known issue with wins 7. When you click on the scenery folder as you would do in xp or vista and click OK, then right or left click anywhere in the white area of the folder. This will start the activation process.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the tip, that did the trick mate!! Now I can go back and fly from St-Malo!!!

Love your handle by the way!! :salute:

modelr
June 5th, 2010, 07:22
We need to have a sticky thread in the tips section like in FSX to cover Win 7. This is the most common headache to Win 7 noobs. Yes, I went thru it, also.

The other important thing, whenever you plan to make ANY changes to files within a program, is, when getting ready to START the program, RIGHT click on the icon, and pick "run as administrator" or sometimes your updates will not stick next time you run the program. Also, do this same thing when running any executable add-on.

Z-DarthVader
June 5th, 2010, 22:33
We need to have a sticky thread in the tips section like in FSX to cover Win 7. This is the most common headache to Win 7 noobs. Yes, I went thru it, also.

The other important thing, whenever you plan to make ANY changes to files within a program, is, when getting ready to START the program, RIGHT click on the icon, and pick "run as administrator" or sometimes your updates will not stick next time you run the program. Also, do this same thing when running any executable add-on.

I concur about the sticky thread!! Thanks again for the help guys!!

Mods/admins, would you do the honours please?? ;)

May the Force be with you

DV