PDA

View Full Version : I have been at a loss for nearly a week

Cazzie
June 3rd, 2010, 04:35
I have done two repaints, gone to VIR and saw the NASCAR cars test for Sonoma and Watkins Glen, yet I am so melancholy.

Last Sunday I received a call from the daughter of the closest cycling companion I ever had, Mike Soloman. Mike passed away last Saturday evening after a near five year battle with bone marrow cancer. He underwent two marrow transplants, the first putting his cancer in remission for three years. He lived a little over a year after his second.

The things I have done on a bicycle with this man. When one rides long tours with fellow cyclists, it is like a combat soldier, the other riders are your brothers. You sleep with them in tents, you eat with them, you battle the forces of nature with them, you get to know the man.

Mike was born in the Jewish borough of Queens, though he left the Jewish faith and became a Latter Day Saints (Morman). He never met a person he did not like. When someone met Mike, they met a new friend.

In 1987, we rode the Pacific Coast Highway the full distance in 10 days. In 1988, we rode across North Carolina and mapped out NC Bike Highway 4 for the NC Dept. of Transportation. In 1989 along with five compatriots, we rode from Seattle, WA to Clover, VA in 33 days (2 days rest), 27 of those 31 riding days comprising more than a 100 miles. Mike and I were the first two in VA and NC to amass 50 century rides (rides over 100 miles). In 1990, we joined two other riders in Clover, VA (home of one of the riders) and rode 213 miles to lower Virginia Beach, VA in one day to the sister's home of one of the riders and earned our Double-Century patches. More day rides when he lived locally and taught Physics at Danville Community College for over 25 years than I care to count.

After he was diagnosed, the fellow cyclist living in Clover, Roger Eudy, and I met Mike for three years (prior to last year) and rode back to Roger's house in Clover in two days.

I am driving up this evening to Mike and his wife Besty's home in Waynesboro and attending the family gathering. They consider me family, his daughter and son both call me Uncle Caz. With tears dwelling and building, I cannot attend the Memorial Service Friday. I must drive back and take my biological brother to Internal Medicine for his battle with the vicious C. It's tough when you get hit twice in such a short period of time, but I'm like the old Jew; get down, get back up again, it is the fighter's philosophy. God bless each and every one of you, it has been a sad week for Caz due to matters of the heart and no physical, financial, or situational problems of my own. It hurts people when one loses one so close.

Caz

GT182
June 3rd, 2010, 04:44
Sorry to hear that Caz, my condolences to the loss of your good friend. He might be gone but will never be forgotten by his friends and family, especially those he rode with. You get out on your bike and he'll be there with you, just look over your shoulder or next to you once in a while.

R.I.P Mike. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/GT182/usa2.gif

Chacha
June 3rd, 2010, 04:53
RIP Mike Soloman!

:engel016:

Take care of your brother, Caz!
He and you are in our prayers!

brad kaste
June 3rd, 2010, 06:34
...Thanks Caz for sharing....maybe it's timely,...but I was just thinking about a good friend of mine who lost his battle to cancer some years ago. We did many things together. I can still feel the lose of his presence even today. But as we know,...the anguish does diminish somewhat in time.

Lionheart
June 3rd, 2010, 07:17
Sorry to hear the loss of your friend Caz.

May the services go well and may he be remembered for all the great times.

Every day, I pray for the end of that horrible desease...

Bill

jmig
June 3rd, 2010, 08:54
My condolences. It is always hard to lose a good friend. We make many acquances in life but few friends. Losing one is losing part of you.

HouseHobbit
June 3rd, 2010, 09:26
My condolences, I shall Pray you are well and recover from your loss..
Remember the good times and rejoice in your friendship..
God Bless...
RIP Mike..

safn1949
June 3rd, 2010, 10:34
I'm truly sorry,my friend. I think about a lady friend of mine every day and she has been gone for 24 years,I can still hear her voice.:frown: